HOTAS Compatibility

D-Boy

Has anyone ever tried playing AC:fA with a HOTAS joystick like the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X?

For those of you that don't know what a HOTAS is it stands for hands on throttle-and-stick. Here's a picture of the T.Flight HOTAS X:

http://ps3center.net/images/news_posts/TFlightHotasX800x600_2.jpg

I've never done it but it looks like it'll work on the PS3. I really doubt that'll let you control the bot very well, though. I imagine it'd be like trying to play an FPS with a racing wheel controller. Even if it works it probably isn't going to be as good as using a dualshock. Flightsticks are better suited for games where you're actually controlling things that behave like planes, which FA's bots certainly don't do, just like a racing wheel is better at controlling a car than it is at throwing out hadoukens.

I see this working only if ACFA controls were setup like mechwarrior. It may work

but it would take some time to get it down right. BTW i know the PS3 can use flash drives

and other USB controlers but can it even use this thing? Well if the inside of a AC is anythin like

a gundam then they left out some controls lool.. Like the controls of a gundam is just like that joystick

plus feet pedals but no real controls for arm movement and head movement so unless its magic theres no way.

just use a ps3 controler even if a joystick would be kickass...

Edited by Matchstick

The way I was thinking of setting it up was having the thruster for moving forward and backwards. Quick-boost and changing weapons would be used with the buttons on the throttle(there are are 2 on the side, 3 on the back). Turning left and right would come from twisting the stick. Camera movement would be done through the x-axis and y-axis of the stick. Firing the left weapon, right weapon, and shoulder weapon would be done with L1, L3, and the back trigger button respectively.

My only main concern is how customizable the buttons are for the game. I use this stick for Mechwarrior 4 and Mechwarrior Living Legends and I love playing with it so I thought I would try it out on AC:fA since I've been wanting to try the game for a while.

Edited by D-Boy

well i tryed it with my logitech 3d pro joystick and it works....theres no support for the throttle.

without the throttle i really don't see myself useing this over a ps3 controler. unless i think of some way to

get the throttleto work im going to play around with it.

• 2 weeks later...
well i tryed it with my logitech 3d pro joystick and it works....theres no support for the throttle.

without the throttle i really don't see myself useing this over a ps3 controler. unless i think of some way to

get the throttleto work im going to play around with it.

How do you configure the buttons for joysticks in ACFA?

I have a keyboard plugged then i went to the option and tried to modify the buttons (to see if i can play with my keyboard), but found out that the game system doesn't allow to configure other than the buttons that already in ps3 gamepad (square, triangle, circle, cross, L1-3, R1-3).

Only some games have keyboard and mouse support; Unreal Tournament 3 is the only one I (and it seems like the rest of the internet) know about. You have to get a bunch of adapters to do it with other keyboards and they have to be PS/2 keyboards, not USB, and even then it's likely that it still won't work with your current keyboard/mouse due to power issues and other things like that. Peripherals like the one he's talking about are specifically designed to work with the PS3 (and in the case of this one, the PC) so unsupported peripherals have to find workarounds that are usually convoluted and difficult in addition to being unreliable. It's just not worth the money/effort in most cases.

EDIT: Here's a list of games that support keyboard and/or mouse. Only 6 games in total, only 3 that I've heard of, and only 1 (UT3) that I can see a keyboard being advantageous to use.

EDIT 2: Here's one of those adapters I was talking about. It looks like it will work with USB keyboards but, judging from the reviews, it doesn't actually work very well and there are no software updates for it. They say it's not as good as using keyboard/mouse on PC or even as well as a Dualshock in most cases. You also can't map the L3/R3 (clicking the joysticks) buttons to any button on a keyboard or mouse. I'd definitely say it's not worth $85.

Edited by Gary the Tennis Coach

• 1 month later...

Any serious flight stick has enough buttons for a console game, even enough to get around the terrible-useless-for-such-an-application throttle.

If someone is going to do it, it's probably best to emulate the controller as much as possible. I have an X52, two stage trigger, two stick hat switchs, one throttle hat switch, 4 stick buttons, 2 throttle buttons, 3 throttle sliders, and 6 stick base buttons. All of this should be pretty common save for the trigger.

If I were going to use it to play AC, I'd map the left stick to the flight stick, the right stick to a hat switch, boost and QB to the trigger, weapon select to another hat switch, and firing to stick buttons.

This would probably still be less effecicient than a controller, so I'm going to agree with 90 (Gary). The only reasonble "mech controls" I've seen are Virtual On's twin sticks, but they don't have enough buttons and probably aren't compatable. Mech controls on TV and in games/whatever are generally designed to look cool (and they do not since they just look impractical). The ideal AC control layout doesn't exist because no one needed to make it. If you want a custom controller to bring you more into the game, you could try making it, like this guy:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g129/nic21love/027.jpg