Call of Duty: Black Ops

Magnus

So, that silly reveal trailer is out and is essentially a bland montage of action. I saw some cool stuff, some not so cool. Really, there's not a lot to go on unless you pause every now and then, but I gotta say, I'm not entirely impressed.

Infinity Ward got kicked out, and now Treyarch, a game company I've never heard of before, is now making this new game. So, uh. Yeah.

Who thinks this won't be as good? U:

Edited by Obscure

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IW never "got hold" of WaW. Also, TreyArch originally developed an entirely different engine for the game. Activision was greedy and made them use CoD4's engine. If you blame someone for WaW's lousiness, blame Activision. I trust in TreyArch, considering they actually patched most of the major problems in their games.

None of that bs matters anyways. We all know that IW made better CoD games than Treyarch did. Activision is becoming the next EA too anyways so fuck this game. The trailer was incredibly weak. Considering it's still a Call of Duty title you would think that Treyarch would be trying to up the ante that MW2 set, but it seems they don't learn lessons too well nor do they strive to be as good as IW was.

I'm more looking forward to whatever Respawn Entertainment puts out next. Those guys, Infinity Ward's finest, are pretty good at what they do.

Nah HA, I'm fairly sure that when Treyarch was soloing WaW they released a game full of bugs and exploits that took people all of about a month to figure out. I distinctly remember playing online for about 2 days and being disgusted with the amount of tanks shooting my ass off from UNDER the map. Not IN the map, UNDER the map. As in, they were driving tanks around where you couldn't see or shoot them, but they could sure see and shoot you. Then I heard IW came in to help Treyarch patch the game, which to me atleast, implies Treyarch couldn't do it on their own. Afterwards I saw no more tanks driving around under the map. But by then my taste for WaW was effectively ruined.

I'm not saying you can't play the game, or that you aren't entitled to liking what you want to like, all I'm saying is I'm betting this CoD will be par for Treyarch's course is all.

Theres FPS's I consider "non-generic" These FPS's offer something new to the table besides running and gunning. Rain bow Six Vegas isn't considered generic because of the cover, Mirrors edge is very "non-generic". Now if you want to play a very generic FPS look at killzone 2. As much as I do like the killzone universe its true.

The entire FPS genre isn't being defined by Mirror's Edge and Rainbow Six Vegas so your opinion about what is generic and what isn't is pretty worthless to us.

It was just examples, and I'm not the first one to use that term. I do think call of duty is a good fps by far or so many people wouldn't like it, but it's just not my kind of game.

Here's what I think Treyarch should do.

#1. Dedicated online multi-player servers.

This isn't an insane request, considering the popularity of the CoD series at this point. The increase in quality online gameplay would be a worthwhile investment. It would help prevent lag issues as well as prevent hacks and online abuses, this is what a CoD game should have.

#2. Fixes for online issues.

The leaderboards system needs a fix so that the top 100k in all area's are not people who have hack accounts or never played the game in the first place. Match-making should not put you into matches that are already won or lost (mostly lost due to rage quits and shitty match-making), it should also prevent matches from getting lost and go into host migration when some dipshit pulls the ethernet cable out of his xbox or PS3. They should also fix the ability to back in and out "drag" a party into non-team games, MTDM and FFA, if you've got a "party" going of more then one person you should simply be unable to join those match types.

#3. Better match type selection.

Treyarch had a good idea with W@W by having Core and Hardcore selections. I think they should bring that back, also keeping 3rd Person Cage and Team Tactical. I think Ricochet rules in HC are great, but they shouldn't need to even say it honestly (fratricide will not be tolerated, right?).

#4. The following changes to perks.

Tier 1

Marathon: Unlimited Sprint

Sleight of Hand: Quicker Reloads and ADS

Scavanger: Pick up ammo from any blue bags

Bling: Two attachments

One Man Army: Carry two Primary Weapons (movement speed/mobility based off slower of the two)

Tier 2

Stopping Power: Bullets hurt more

Danger Close: Explosives hurt more

Cold Blooded: No UAV, Air Support, Thermal

Lightweight: Faster movement speed (to include climbing and sprinting ADS delay)

Hardline: Killstreaks require 1 less kill

Tier 3

Steady Aim: Better hip fire accuracy, longer breathe holding

SitRep: Increases enemy and decreses friendly (to include your own) footstep noise to player, marks enemy equipment in red.

Ninja: Reduces footstep noise, enemy doesn't see red name or crosshairs when aimed at you

Scrambler: Jams nearby enemy electronics (radar fuzzes up and get's false enemy locations, claymores and C4 delay)

Commando: No falling damage, movement/aim remains stable while being damaged (not stun/flash).

#5. Attachments per class are as follows.

Primaries

AR's: Grenade Launcher (default), Red Dot Sight (all the same), Silencer, ACOG, FMJ, Shotgun, HWS, Thermal (no breath holding, works like ACOG), Extended Mags

SMG's: Rapid Fire, Red Dot Sight, Silencer, FMJ, Akimbo, HWS, Extended Mags

LMG's: Grip, Red Dot Sight, Silencer, ACOG, FMJ, HWS, Thermal (same as AR's), Extended Mags

Snipers: Silencer, ACOG, FMJ, Thermal (works like regular scope), Extended Mags

Secondaries

Machine Pistols: Red Dot Sight, Silencer, HWS, FMJ, Extended Mags

Shotguns: Grip, Red Dot Sight, Silencer, HWS, FMJ, Extended Mags

Pistols: LAM (laser aiming module), Silencer, FMJ, Akimbo, Tac Knife, Extended Mags

Laser Aiming Module turns on a red laser when your ADS, effectively giving your pistol an RDS.

~

#6. Bring back the following weapons.

AKS-74u, should be the UMP's main competitor

1911, should be a super-accurate handgun (fire full bore speed and stays on target 10-round mags)

Dragunov, WA2000 competitor more sway and recoil but less obstructive to vision and quicker for swaps to secondaries and killstreaks.

RPK (not bringing back, but putting in) - AUG H-Bar competitor

#7. Remove Deathstreaks, pretty simple here.

#8. Killstreaks changes as follows.

EMP - 9 Killstreak

Stealth Bomber - 8 Killstreak

Nuke - 30 Killstreak

Harriers - No Counter-Measures

Attack Helicopter/Pave-low/Chopper Gunner - 1 Counter-Measure

AC-130 - 2 Counter-Measures

#9. Launchers have following changes.

AT4 - no lockons, 1 shot to Airsupport minus Pavelow, accurate enough to hit at distance reliably*

Thumper - same

Stinger - same

Javelin - same

RPG - no lockons, 1 shot to Airsupport minus Pavelow

*Pavelows have 1250 Health

*AT4-RPG do 1000 DMG, Stinger/Javelin do 1250 DMG

*all other Airsupport have 1000 Health

#10. Following equipment and special grenade changes.

-Add RKG-3 Anti-Tank grenade (assuming ground vehicles are added), moderate splash damage, diables either tread or turret with 1-hit, destroys heavy vehicles with two, detonates on impact, if player is killed while holding it drops and detonates, short throwing range (MW1 C4 range, semtex throwing speed)

-Blast Shield reduces the effects of Stun and Flash grenades

-C4 allows you to run while having it ready to throw, also throws slightly further (CoD4/W@W style)

-Throwing Knife is an auto-pickup

-Assuming ground vehicles, tanks and the like should have 2500 health overall, with 50% reduced damage to bullets (so for guns it's = 5000 health), the treads have 1k health, as does the turret, if the treads are hit the tank is imobilized, if the turret is hit, it cannot turn, but it can still shoot from the cannon and the gunner on top. C4, Semtex, Frags, and Claymores will each do 350dmg to a tank, GL's will do 250. Lighter vehicles I dunno.

Edited by Enganacious

Yeah, I agree with those points raised about the matchmaking system. And as far as the perks etc. you listed, lol the game will be like MW2 v2.0. Not an insult by any means, I think those perks etc. would actually make the current MW2 the game it should have been instead of the semi-enjoyable game it is. Edited by Genocide

• 2 weeks later...

http://weplaycod.blogspot.com/2010/05/oxm-...-ops-scans.html

Screens from OXM.

-Cold War

-Vietnam and Russia

-MAC-10

-Crossbows!

-SPAS 12 with "Dragon Breath" incendiary rounds.

-Helicopter controlling

-Flying the SR-71 (!!!)

-Swimming

-Vehicles return, but "not the way you remember them".

-Beta "Considered"

-Dedicated Co-Op (!!!)

-Matchmaking changes (!!!)

-Create a Class 2.0, Kit and Appearance (!!!)

-Emphasis on MP over campaign (!!!)

-Entire 200-man staff of TreyArch is working on this.

This game is getting me REALLY interested.

Forced or not...they made a worse game. They were given a good engine to work with and ended up making a game that felt and looked worse while not doing anything special...with the tools they were given. Edited by Wrenchis