Sandwiches

SUMERIAN BLOOD GOD

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.plurlife.com/gallery/1/16/162/1625/16255/162559/2/9/0/9/3/5/0/2909350.jpg

Rave sandwiches, they're hard to come by. I snuck that in which is what = teh massive lulz. And sneaking in something as big as multiple sandwiches to a rave is no easy task XD

Next time you roll through southeast Texas or Louisiana I highly recommend taking a detour for it.

When I head back up to Austin this weekend I'm stopping in Giddings where there is a bomb-ass deli that has the best corned beef and pastrami I've ever had. My boy got a French-dip on his way up that made him consider getting a hotel for the night so he could eat it again the next day. I'll bring pictures, of course.

I need to go to TX one of these days and try these places out.

Jax and the BBQ place (I guess I should say trailer in a parking lot with a BBQ pit next to it) are in my hometown where there's not much to do other than eat and drink beer so I wouldn't really make the trip just to eat at those places, though I would highly recommend the scenic route if you're in a reasonable distance. Jax just recently got a bar with several good beers on tap too so it's definitely the place to go if you're passing through. The BBQ place is called Anderson's and it really is just a trailer in the parking lot of the shopping plaza on main street with a BBQ pit and some tables next to it. It's been in the same location for at least 10 years though so that should say something about how good it is. Cheap too.

If you're in Austin we'll scope some sandwich places together. I need to go to Thundercloud subs again pretty soon.

Well Houston's Museum of Fine Arts is pretty great. The Alley Theatre there is a good venue for plays too. Houston's only about an hour from my hometown so it'd be a nice destination for you if you're looking for a good excuse to swing by. Austin's a hippie-haven so you can throw a rock and hit a place to see some art, museum or otherwise. It's also "live music capital of the world" according to someone a decade or so ago who got the label to stick. True or not, there's a shit-ton of venues. DFW's kinda stuffy to me but there's a lot of museums there too. SA's got great Mexican food (as do a majority of Texas towns) and all that Alamo-related business. That and the riverwalk are pretty much just tourist grabbers though. Ask Owen to show you the sights; I haven't been there in ages.

Everywhere else is pretty undesirable as far as fine art/music is concerned.

I know you don't drink; I was directing that at Raor or whoever else might be interested in a pit stop.

http://i46.tinypic.com/m9wu15.jpg

The Deli from Reba's Deli in Giddings, TX. Ohhhhhhh man, is this place amazing. Made-to-order, oven-baked, hand-tossed, overly-hyphenated pizzas. Sandwiches, wraps, subs, flatbread sandwiches. Blue Bell ice cream, shakes, malts. Fresh-baked pies, cookies, cakes, quiches, etc. All of this in a fairly innocuous little building in a plaza on the main thoroughfare through town, Highway 290. 290 is the way I go to and from my hometown so I stop here every time I have a chance. I actually put off eating lunch today until about 3 pm just so I could eat here.

This sandwich is hot corned beef and pastrami with swiss cheese and spicy brown mustard on grilled rye bread. Goddamn it is good. I keep wanting to try the Dirty Harry (basically a slightly modified Reuben) but I just don't know if I'd be able to handle the sauerkraut and dressing. That might be too intense for me. I don't think I'm man enough for it. There's also a French dip there that looks really good but fuck, I got this sandwich the first time I went to Reba's and I've been unable to bring myself to try anything else. This sandwich is just that damn good. It's also a lot bigger than it looks in the picture. The back of the half in the foreground is resting on the back of the other half so that it's tilting down and not showing all the juicy, hot, and delicious beef within. God, I can't wait to drive back.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they have soups and salads for foxtrots like Owen.

Edited by Gary the Tennis Coach