Ninety's UStream

SUMERIAN BLOOD GOD

Well, that's kind of why I put this up here. My intention for this is so ACU players can watch vids of everyone playing without actually having to physically spectate the match or bum a replay file from someone. Also, it lets people that don't have starcraft see all the fun we have, enticing them to come play starcraft with us. The commentary is mostly just me talking about what I want to talk about. If there are specific things you'd like me to cover in future casts, let me know. I'd also like to hear some suggestions for what the channel should be called since it's a quarter to three in the morning and I can't really think of one right now.

Oh, Niji, go ahead and move this into its own topic if you want.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jmodum90

Edited by Gary the Tennis Coach

I decided you'd probably get better feedback and more attention if we split it off the Players List topic.

Anyway, don't start off trying to give any form of deep commentary even if other members want it. I suggest starting with a sort of play-by-play style and then incorporating why you think people are doing what they're doing, what you think they should be doing, and anything you think they did wrong so far. You can also comment on traits of players, like things you know specific players like to do often. But yah, I suggest doing them one at a time till you get natural at it.

If you end up getting better at it I'll have you do commentary of future AC matches with me. I plan on commentating some AC5 tournaments and I'll probably need a co-caster for them.

=3

yeah i think starting off with like the play by plays would be an easy way to get used to talking more ;)

once you are used to talking for the majority of the match (cause i noticed you're still quiet a lot ;)), you should prioritize what you're doing. like for the main part look for attacks that are going on, then just look for movement around the map, and then if nothing's happening look at whats happening in the players bases.

Just do not be one of those commentators who knows their game but uses diction that even a eight year old would find immature. You should do this with Pokemon and other multiplayers you enjoy. Just some suggestions.

I suggest starting with a sort of play-by-play style and then incorporating why you think people are doing what they're doing, what you think they should be doing, and anything you think they did wrong so far. You can also comment on traits of players, like things you know specific players like to do often. But yah, I suggest doing them one at a time till you get natural at it.

That's what I've been trying to do. Those last two games on the channel (/b/ versus DMX and me versus DMX) were bad examples since it was two in the morning and I had just casted 3 or 4 games only to find that the caster had crashed early on in the stream and none of it was recorded; so I was still pretty peeved about that.

On another note, I forgot how to hotkey areas of the map. I wanted to do that for player bases so I could switch back and forth easily but couldn't remember how. Enlighten me, por favor!

EDIT: Ended up cutting the video of the first cast since, as kaku/noob said, it's mainly just me laughing at things. Listening to music while doing commentary is not a good idea.

Edited by Gary the Tennis Coach

• 2 weeks later...

i just played like the worst game ever. its on 90s stream but its an hour long so ill just post a summary.

ACDC P vs DD Z on destination

-my forge wall wasnt ling tight at all and i lost half my probes in my main

-massed zeals and didnt push (i had 9 gates)

-had 6 sairs idling when they couldve been overlord hunting

-first zeal push was lost because of lurkers in the expansion

-second zeal push was lost because of lurkers in the expansion

-third zeal push was lost because of lurkers in the expansion

-fourth zeal push was lost because of lurkers in the expansion (i finally realize there are lurkers in the expansion)

-8 DT push on another expansion failed because of lurkers and no sair support (and i had about 12 sairs)

-mass HT made, but transformed into archons instead of used for storms vs mass hydra

-fifth push lost because of lurkers in the expansion (with observers out)

-robo created but observatory not created until 4 minutes later

-4 mineral patches mined completely out and no other expansions present even though i have almost total map control

-money runs low while i attempt to mass carrier (which didnt do anything)

-carriers are pretty much useless vs mass hydra; no more minerals to produce more units

-GG

the entire early-mid game i had fairly good map control, but both of us turtled and i didnt realize he had lurkers until the 20 minute mark, in which i lose about 150 food worth of zeals to lurkers. when i did get observers they kept dying to hydra/overlord because i didnt micro them at all. i had corsairs idle almost 60% of the time and i didnt use storms when i should have.

carriers are pretty much useless vs mass hydra

This is not true at all. You probably just didn't have any air ups while the hydras were 3/3 or something.

• 4 weeks later...

With tonight's matches the channel now has 20 vids!

SC2 is even harder for me to do commentary on since I'm still getting familiar with it. I may just stick to casting replays since trying to give the play-by-play is a little rough at times. It certainly has better tools though with the unit count/queue, income, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blip.tv

I'm debating on whether or not I should switch solely to offline casts. It'll allow me to get better video quality and also allow for editing of the videos. The video up right now is just one I DLd from ustream to test the upload client so the quality isn't any better than what you've seen so far.

The only thing keeping me from going this route is that screencasting software costs money (though I have a free version that's ok; it just has a watermark) and I don't know whether or not anyone would want to watch them when they're not live. The ustream channel doesn't look like it gets many offline views on the VODs.

So what do you guys think?

• 3 weeks later...

http://dirtytalk.blip.tv/

So, I bought that screencasting software and finished up part one of the first episode. I'm really pleased with the video quality on it and the show's format is more along the lines of what I'd initially thought the ustream would accomplish.

The production values should also increase as I get more comfortable with how to compile and edit footage and learn what parts of a match I need to focus the most on. You can subscribe to the channel via iTunes, RSS, or a couple of other things and you can download episodes to watch on your computer, your TV, or your iPod.

If you'd like to submit a replay, send it to me as an email attachment with the show's title (Talk Dirty) in the subject line and include a short summary of what you want me to focus on. Remember, longer matches take a lot longer for me to produce.