Youtube Announces Support for Video Resolution up to 4000p

Mom

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/07...ideo-comes.html

I must say, it's very nice to be able to watch youtube videos that not only catch up to, but exceed, my monitor's resolution. The videos look really good, but boy are they cpu hogs! A 1080p video only 7% of my core i7 860's workload, while a 4k video takes 47% of its load!

Most people don't have a monitor that can output in 1080p, let alone 4k, plus the insane amounts of cpu workload required to play a flash video of that size. You also won't be seeing anybody totting around 4k resolution video cams.

It's a novel thing, but very unrealistic for the time. Perhaps in 2-3 years down the line, we'll start seeing higher dpi monitors that can go up to 4k resolution (but have resolution independence so text and windows aren't super small-- this could be possibly done through a system of vector graphics and smart resizing).

You'd need to go straight to FROMSOFTWARE to get the original videos, otherwise you'd just be ballooning the image.

In 1 or 2 more years, we'll have a monitor that can do that. We are already at 2560x1600 for many monitors, even more if some people go crazy with a multi-monitor setup. ATI supports something crazy like 4 or 6 monitors per card anyway.