Brand New

Ataraxis

So uh...I typically have a hard time picking one band or one song over another, but that isn't the case with Brand New for some reason. They're my favourite band, and have been for seven years now. They've changed quite a bit with each album, but the newest always manages to grow on me just as much as the ones before it. I guess I'll give an example of a typical track from each album.

1st album: Your Favorite Weapon

The whole album is pretty basic pop punk from a band just starting out. It's the one I like the least - but I still like it quite a bit.

2nd album: Deja Entendu

Deja is a huge departure in style from YFW, and is where they really earned their place in the "emo" genre. It's a pretty whiny album, which might be where the hate in my love/hate relationship with it comes from. The love part comes from everything else. This is the album that really got me into the band.

3rd album: The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

Devil and God isn't as far removed from Deja as Deja is from YFW, but it's still pretty damn far. There's a lot more atmosphere in this album, and a lot less whining (it seems like they were too busy questioning their faith to whine).

At first listen I was pretty disappointed with it, but I couldn't stop (it reminds me of the Tomacco episode of the Simpsons, where they hate the taste of the things but just want more). After a while it became my favourite album, with Degausser being my favourite track.

4th album: Daisy

Daisy is a whole lot of loud. It also somehow feels like the album you'd get if you mixed the styles of the other three.

Other

Along the way, a lot of tracks got leaked and cut (mostly from Devil and God). One of those that saw release as a single was Fork and Knife. I'm not sure it would have fit with the album anyway. Lots of piano.

I've never met another fan of the band (not sure what that says), but what I gather from YouTube is that most of them are pretentious and retarded (I know what that says, and I'm not listening LAHLAHLAHLAHLAH).

I am a fan of the band. We have never "met" though. :angry:

I have Deja Entendu and I bought Bought a Bride from Daisy off iTunes since you linked me

a while back. I never got into them other than Sic Transit Gloria... and The Quiet Things... when those came out and I still watched MTV. Then when you started talking to me about them a lot I picked up Deja and really dug it. I might get Daisy sometime soon. Edited by Gary the Tennis Coach