AC Team Forums

EX33396948

I've definitely been considering a Team Forums section, but at the same time I need to keep activity on the main page of ACU for the first month or so. That means the Team Forums won't be up till early March. Afterwards, I'll probably open up Team Forums and add some small features around the site that support them.

i think if you made a dedicated forum to AC clans that was better then the one from ACO you will get a lot more activity

Well at this stage, ACOi is more active because it's had an established forum for a while. As for clans, I see Niji's logic. AC5 is supposedly coming out (at least in Japan, by around March). That will put up the hype for clans at least on PS3 if the game satisfies. The forum will have likely built up more by then too. The logic is there.

I don't see how ACOi is more active. As of right now, we're averaging around 20-30 active topics a day. That's with a member base of almost 50. Each one of those topics has multiple posts made in it, as well. That's pretty good activity density. About 50%. I'm pretty happy with that activity density. Given a few weeks we'll probably have a very large content collection. Today marks ACU's first full week too, haha.

You can check the days active content pretty easily if you're logged in on either forum. Just go to the bottom of the board and click "Today's active content" on ACOi or "Today's active topics" on ACU. It'll bring up a list of all the topics that have been posted in at least once in the past 24 hours. As of right now, ACOi has 9 in the past 24. We have 17 in the past 24 hours.

Also, AC5 is not coming out anywhere near March. I don't mean to be annoying, but LRp comes out on March 4th. AC5 may be nearly 40-50% completed by March, maybe. Chance's are it'll come out after August in the Japanland. Expect to see it in the states after January 2011.

I'm not worried about Search Engines, either. I'm not going to make any active effort to push my SERP results this month. I will be checking to see where I rank though, haha. Anyway, ACU will overtake most AC websites sooner or later with content and manual advertising, which in turn will cause high SERP results. Only website out there that's AC related that I feel is my competitor right now is the RR. But I prefer to think of them as affiliates, since I really like the RR site and members.

-----

Ok, so here's part of my thing with the Team Forums. First of all, they don't breed that much activity in general. The majority of them are just placeholder forums that receive a grand whopping total of 5-10 posts a week. People also join more than one or two teams and, in effect, negate the purpose of a team or team forums. Competitions between teams are typically only done between 1-2 teams, because that's all the teams that have any semblance of activity. Another problem is that team forums develop a slew of moderators on the board for no reason.

Now, some of these problems are very easily solved. Others aren't true of all teams. The problem is the majority of teams. Go to ACOi and list two teams that could have a full blown competition between them or even a decent skirmish online. You probably can't.

Anyway, the biggest problem is that I need to focus attention on the Arena before I focus attention on Team Forums. Team Forums are buried into the boards directory and many people who are just visiting this forum, the most important people, will not be looking that far in. They'll want to see what's on the face of the board. The Arena is about as face value as it gets. While I haven't finished the front page for the Arena, the actual system to use it is done. Once I get the front page done, people will be able to show off their personal ranker pages and that may interest visitors to sign up and join tournaments. And, as far as I know, tournaments almost always produce more activity than team forums and are of higher interest value to visitors.

So, to put it as simply as I can... I won't be making team forums, yet, because I'm focusing on the main section of the site and tournaments that will be run on it. There are just higher priorities for me right now.

-----

If you guys can get two good teams together, about 10 active members and can vs each other, and get all their members to sign up on this forum first... I will go and make you team forums to use ASAP.

That kind of defeats the true meaning in being a Raven.

but yeah, if it was a tight knit clan, that's different. Teams on AC is more or less just buddies playing together for sport. I was on a few teams on ACO, but activity was rather sparse, communication and such. Only real big match I was in was with Line Ark.

SoulApostle has a good point, though. That's what I mean when I said that most of those problems can be solved easily.

For example, I intend to put a spot in your profile field where you can show off your team affiliation. This spot will be a DROP-DOWN box, so you can't display 10 teams at once or anything. Obviously, I can't control who joins what team and how many teams they join. I can control how many teams or what teams ACU will actually consider them a part of, though.

This means that any Team Tournaments, which are planned, will force you to abide by some basic concept of teams as far as recognition on the forum goes. To put it simply, ACU can make teams sound and seem more real or important by providing prizes, such as web-pages or team tournaments uploaded to YouTube, and propagating itself as an important and big team ranking website. This would, afterward, cause ACU to have some power over recognized teams and organized team play.

This is all potentially, though. Don't hope too much, haha.

Well, by all physical means the only thing anyone can control with any team sport is the representation.

Even in real sports, there's very little anyone can really do to stop a member of a team from practicing at home with a member from another team. You can always fire them if you find out, but that's not always the best way to go about things with your team members, haha. It's just the nature of things.

Still, the idea behind ACU being a major Team Organization like the NFL or KeSPA for AC is pretty far-fetched. Not impossible or anything, but it requires a fanbase willing to form clans that's just not likely to occur on AC. That's why I said potentially. Actually running it would take no real effort, but forming enough teams to be run is almost beyond believable. Haha.

Still, it's a nice idea to daydream about.

Well, by all physical means the only thing anyone can control with any team sport is the representation.

Even in real sports, there's very little anyone can really do to stop a member of a team from practicing at home with a member from another team. You can always fire them if you find out, but that's not always the best way to go about things with your team members, haha. It's just the nature of things.

Still, the idea behind ACU being a major Team Organization like the NFL or KeSPA for AC is pretty far-fetched. Not impossible or anything, but it requires a fanbase willing to form clans that's just not likely to occur on AC. That's why I said potentially. Actually running it would take no real effort, but forming enough teams to be run is almost beyond believable. Haha.

Still, it's a nice idea to daydream about.

I think it's something we could figure out.

People just need a reason to start teams / join teams / be active in teams.

If we could come up with something that would give people an incentive to do these things, it'd be easy. People that play AC love reasons to play it, but can get "blah" and inactive when reasons run out.

If there were tournaments, and pages, and etc., like you said -- that supported clans, and the activity of clans, then I think there'd be an increase of clans. You get how to do shit in a professional manner, which is what the community has been lacking, but needs. You run legit tournaments, and now have a legit website. I have faith that you could run tournaments to where eventually they end up all being successes. And clans feed on tournaments.

Tournaments, like you said, are things that really interest visitors, moreso than clans. I think anything that gives someone a chance to play in an official way will increase activity with the player and the site. But it is something that will definitely suck up more of your attention, Niji, should you implement it. So maybe you'd end up needing help with such activity.

Hm, just some quick thoughts before goin' to class.

Luckily most of the 360 clans are pretty tight together, most are competitive, and generally where one or two go, the others might follow, at least for guns.

The problem is that many 360ers tend to stay away from forums, especially when their only working examples for the longest time were ACO and ShameFaqs. I think if you got the teams over the rest might be fairly simple, but it's getting them that's the trick. SWAT has a few lurkers on here 360 wise so if I can get the rest on and doing something, shit might get easier. SOO listens to me some. No promises with the others though. The fact this site has a lot of potential unlike many past AC sites in recent memory might help a little. We'll see.

Multi clan organization's really simple though for the clans there though. As a general rule, clan guys are often in one gun clan, and possibly one blade clan, or visa versa, and those two branches are so isolated from each other that they don't really matter. Even then though, the guys usually associate more with one than the other.

Edited by IronSoul

• 7 months later...