Ace Combat

Liarbird

Eh. Looks like they are going in a hawx's direction with acrobatics you could never pull off in real life. I mean Ace combat wasnt ever uber realistic, but the flip over the plane kinda killed it for me. And did I see a heli do a barrel roll?

• 1 year later...

Game's still looking iffy for me. Might skip the online, haven't decided yet.

Although this thread is about Assault Horizon, there is another Ace Combat game coming out for the 3DS. Known as "Ace Combat: Cross Rumble" in Japan, and "Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy" in North America.

Seriously, and guess what? STRANGEREAL!

Still skeptical about ACAH (leaning on skipping the game altogether though). Not really sure if they're just showcasing what the new stuff will be in the demo or will be just plain forcing you to use DFM against aces and in some parts, killing my freedom to do as I please in a game whilst in a mission. :/

tried out the demo, here are some of my thoughts.

Regenerating Health

-seriously why did they have to place this? i just saw my left F-22 engine getting burned up and later disappeared because i took some cover?

-they literally rip-off COD4's "you are hurt get to cover mechanic"

Enemies regenerating health

-i tried killing a target using a 6 missile combo outside of "dogfighting" mode, it doesnt kill him mainly because the enemy also regenerates health and i am doing something wrong i endede up launching a total of 36 missiles or more and the single bogey isnt dead.

Crashing

-i bumped 3 times on the ground before i exploded, it is as if im losing "health" when im hitting the ground. Is this game made for retards?

Dogfighting mode

-the game is as if demanding you to use this, since some aces regenerate health, some aces have infinite flares and guns outside of "dogfighting" mode is useless.

-Also under dogfighting mode, there are sometimes enemy aces will pass from behind you only designed to be targeted and destroyed using the 4 (AMRAAM) missiles and thus the only reason to use them and not even for long range since they cant lock at long range anymore

Graphics and lag spikes

-since you are forced to use "dogfighting" mode to kill aces you are bound to follow them on a railway/predetermined course and they will intentionally pass low and close to buildings to make the game look interactive, the ground looks flat on jet mode and there are a ton of lagspikes when oil spills on your screen and other effects churn in.

Helicopter

-you can kill targets from afar but cannot lock at them (potshot), but once you get close you can kill targets by holding L1 for autoaim. holding L1 + sidestepping seems the most viable tactic and its almost repetitive, but target approaching and killing important targets such as AA and SAM seems to be required.

Helicopter dodging

-you will be doing this all the time as long as you want to autoaim on the enemy

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty much the above, granted the multiplayer is hectic as all hell.

I still only use the original control scheme.

(I also noted, you crash in MP, you're done, there's not much silly bouncing. So: DFM people into the ocean or into buildings.)

I kinda like it, but it doesn't feel like AC anymore to me.

always gotta water down things for the masses :T

Edited by ^Slaanesh

I guess my Star Fox 64 days are resurfacing for me while playing this game. I'm actually enjoying the experience, and I have seen real jets pull off crazier maneuvers than what I've seen in the game. I'm surprised everyone was getting upset about the Apache barrel roll, heck attack helicopters have been able to do all kinds of crazy maneuvers ever since well they started making specialized attack helicopters.

Also as long as there is a pro mode I'm happy, I want to do complete twists and turns on my own ha.

ONE MORE THING: Regenerating health is a feature from the first Halo: Combat Evolved (even though health packs were indeed still in the game). At least that was one of the things it was praised for so if someone knows a game that really introduced the feature then feel free to tell me.

In truth, this popular method of health control appeared long before Halo. The 1992 first-person shooter Faceball 2000 for SNES and Sega Genesis had it. It also was used in the relatively unpopular comic book game, Wolverine: Adamantium Rage, which was released on the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis in 1994.

http://www.giantbomb.com/regenerating-health/92-83/

That said, the demo didn't please me. Won't be getting this game.

Sorry Slaanesh, I like the game and I'm buying it unless someone already decided to buy it for me when I get back home. I became a fan when I first got Acecombat 4 so maybe that's my problem for enjoying this one so much.

Thanks Artdeux, I was thinking that wasn't true considering this kind of thing happens all the time (one game shows up with just the right mix of stuff to become popular and then gets praised as if it practically invented a whole genre).

There you go.

I don't know how mutliplayer was in Acecombat 6 so I'm not sure if it really suffered from the same problem as the older games.

When two human players are facing eachother it could be almost impossible to shoot eachother down as long as they both kept the throttle up and just zoomed across the map hoping the other player would fall for a classic trap. (I've been able to trick one of my other roomates in Acecombat Zero quite easily but that's because he's a supposed hardcore gamer who is really a major noob hahaha.)