Sym-Bionic Titan

Magnus

I have a haunting feeling that the premise of this show has been done before, but I can't name one show that did it. Like it's crawling in the back of my mind.

It's got Voltron elements, in which it's a kingdom under siege that takes numerous people to form a giant robot. But instead, the kingdom has already fallen, and in a last ditch effort to keep hope, they sent their princess, and two guardians away from the kingdom and planet to Earth. A little like Sailor Moon, you could say, but in the good story element way and not creepy miniskirt obsessions.

Adding to the dire feeling of the situation, the person who took over the planet has super-human abilities of super speed and strength, while most everyone is just a regular human or humanesque. And he wants the princess dead, so he's sending giant monsters and robots to Earth through a rift gate thing.

Ilana is the princess. She's got a special gold suit designed for her protection. Lance is the male bodyguard, who is the hothead of course, and has a basic military-grade giant purple suit. Octus is the robotic guardian AI, and already has super human strength and speed, as well as forms the shell of the Sym-Bionic Titan.

But enough about the story. Anyone can do a story and it can be interesting. Presentation is what makes it intense (see: shitty modern warfare story, amazing presentation). I'm gonna start at my favorite part, though. The animation is smooth, they use 3D for the giant robots in a way that looks like it's still 2D as the art style remains exactly the same, and just as smooth, as the 2D IS smoothly animated (unlike airbender cartoon).

The music, however, is rare. Sometimes, combat will go quiet. Hell, a good majority of this epic race scene had absolutely no music, but would constantly have swerving, swoosh lines, intense sound effects, and dramatic happenings. Even a car grinding a rail. And there was no music until the very bridge they were driving on was falling into pieces and they were about to get to the finish line. Music is intentionally used to make already incredibly epic moments become increasingly more superepic, as it's suddenly enhanced by something that's hardly there.

Overall. This is a must watch. It's amazing, with little to none "stupid" humor.

Edited by Obscure

• 3 weeks later...

Of the shows Tartakovsky has done, this seems most reminiscent of Powerpuff Girls, which was for me, the least enjoyable series by him by far. Even so, it had its moments, so I wouldn't be willing to write this off immediately...even if does look like it took the crappiest elements from that show.

I'm still waiting for the Samuari Jack movie. If that sucks, I'm going to be pissed that they didn't just continue that series while things were rolling instead.

Yes but that added a comedic effect that really fit with the show and made it what it is.

On another note the titans design reminds me of the megadeus designs from Big O which makes me like it my feelings about the show itself are as of now neutral given the facts that while Genndy works on this we get no Samurai Jack episodes and I want some new Samurai Jack episodes and best action scene concerning a robot was that fight in the flashback episode.

Samurai Jack didn't have dumb slapstick. It had well executed slapstick.

It also had dumb slapstick. Pretty much all of it was good slapstick. Dexter's Lab had a shitload of dumb slapstick as well, and that's easily my favourite of all.

I LIKE DUMB SLAPSTICK IS WHAT I'M GETTING AT HERE. It makes me laugh.