NIN is back

Nomrah

New Nine Inch Nails Album and tour on the horizon, very excited. Trent Reznor previously stated that NIN was done as a touring act, I am pleased to here of this turn of events. First stop of the "Tension 2013" tour is St. Paul, Minnesota, I'm planning on being there. Album titled "Hesitation Marks", and a new single out, listening to it now. Still has that "Year Zero/The Slip" sound to it, a bit pop and strongly electro beat oriented but I'll give it many more listens, based on this single I am liking it a bit more than "The Slip" so far though. Still I miss the more raw sound of his earlier works, but still can't wait to hear the entirety of what the new album has to offer.

http://www.nin.com/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not liking the new single at all

might be the first time I didn't like a NIN single

doesn't matter I'm still buying the album and going to a show regardless

5 stars cuz its NIN

also With Teeth was a terrible album but I actually did like the singles off of it

Only the singles though.

Edited by YUNG ADULT CONTEMPORARY

Yeah when I heard of a new single, I had grand ideas in my head on what it could sound like and things he could do to excite me, but it didn't do that. I will be honest that I was disappointed early on in the track, pretty much when the central beat started up, same old post With Teeth sound and song structure methods. I'd say its a better single than Discipline though, maybe.

With Teeth was easily the most forgettable NIN album for me, I re listened to it one at one point and was astonished at all the songs on it that I had completely forgotten about. Although The Slip takes the place as the least cared about album for me.

Also, planning on pre-ordering the album tonight, I hope it's a fairly long album and explores some different vibes on the other tracks.

Edited by Nomrah

Oh that's interesting but I think I could see that. I did like The Slip though and I liked Discipline.

For me With Teeth is the worst and I never run that album back, even if it had a few songs on it I liked (3 songs total).

To be fair I only run back PHM and Fragile so there it is. I'd run back TDS but I don't have it on my main ipod so I can't. :(

This new single is wild boring to me is the issue. It sounds like a throwaway from The Slip.

But I'd expect someone like me to like those albums the most I grew up on them and was rolling with NIN when they first showed up on the scene. So of course I like old NIN more hahahaha

Oh that's interesting but I think I could see that. I did like The Slip though and I liked Discipline.

For me With Teeth is the worst and I never run that album back, even if it had a few songs on it I liked (3 songs total).

To be fair I only run back PHM and Fragile so there it is. I'd run back TDS but I don't have it on my main ipod so I can't. :(

This new single is wild boring to me is the issue. It sounds like a throwaway from The Slip.

But I'd expect someone like me to like those albums the most I grew up on them and was rolling with NIN when they first showed up on the scene. So of course I like old NIN more hahahaha

For sure, the works earlier in NIN's career are hard to beat, so much up to The Fragile was superb. Then there was that big hiatus till With Teeth and the new sober Trent. I remember reading in an interview where he was comparing how he approached song writing with With Teeth and before it. Before With Teeth he mentioned how hard on himself he was to make everything perfect, basically trying to make a masterpiece out of every song, hence the long wait between albums. And now (With Teeth and forward) he approaches writing in a more easy going, and relaxed fashion and basically churns out songs. I can't find the interview right now, but that's pretty much the gist of what he said. The difference is clear though.

With Teeth is really similar thematically to everything before it (feelings, alienation, depression, etc) but the song structure and a lot of the sounds and production tricks he's using are new, and what you continue to see post-WT.

I feel like that's the big problem with WT: the sound he had created was so unique and perfect for the kind of subject matter and music he was trying to create. Fucking with that just seems kind of...idk, offensive? I will say that I think the new approach he took to music was a great choice for the thematic changes he made to his songwriting. I happen to really like Year Zero and The Slip (like I mentioned), but again I totally could see how someone would like them less. They're far less personal albums, and more about making statements about the world we live in instead of the reality we live in...if that makes any sense.

Honestly, though, I got a lot of respect for someone who can change their style so dramatically while still being themselves. That's not easy to do, and it takes a lot of guts. Especially with the way he approaches multimedia and stuff. Talented guy.

What you mentioned about being sober, I'd say, is a clear indication of why he made the changes he did in the song writing. He probably isn't as mad at himself anymore so he doesn't have to write the wrist-cutting shit...so instead he focuses on hating various aspects of the world we live in hahahaha

Trent Reznor previously stated that NIN was done as a touring act

When he said that, my buddy was like "He's just saying that, he'll come back when he feels like it or wants some money or something." I'm paraphrasing, but yeah.

I'm with Raor on the new single. I like WT.

I don't think it was about the money. I think mainly he just wanted to focus on other shit. The guy never retired from music, instead he scored a bunch of huge movies, started a new band with his new wife, and secretly recorded a new album. All in like a year.

He's always been a workaholic.

He's got issues like that. I'm cool with that FUCK IT. Unless it sucks than FUCK him.

KEANU you never told me if you listened to the stuff I suggested in some other thread.

Edited by YUNG ADULT CONTEMPORARY

Yeah I don't think it was about the money either, and neither did my friend really. Just coverin' bases. Reznor is a busy man.

I did listen to that stuff actually, and it was pretty good. I was reminded of uhhhh MGMT and Chromeo at certain points which is cool since I like both those groups but it was also pretty fresh too. Fk I can't believe that was so many days ago, it really got away from me, haha.

Wait it was yesterday I was looking at the wrong shit hold on.

NEVERMIND I HAD IT RIGHT I JUST LINKCEPTIONED MYSELF.

Edited by Keanushiro

I happen to really like Year Zero and The Slip (like I mentioned), but again I totally could see how someone would like them less. They're far less personal albums, and more about making statements about the world we live in instead of the reality we live in...if that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense. He did the transition well, it seems very comfortable for him.

I never got around to pre ordering the album. I'm really going to have to hear more.

I like With Teeth to a degree, it had some good songs and a solid sound.

Year Zero was pretty minimalistic and had a lot of the same song structure reoccurring from song to song, but what can you expect when it was made pretty much completely on his laptop in his tour bus. But I still like the album.

Ghosts was Ghosts, I listened to it a lot while spending time doing various projects, worked out because that's sort of what he intended it for.

The Slip, I actually did enjoy it, I really dug the songs "Echoplex" and "Head Down" and the instrumentals were good, and lights in the sky is a good track. My main reason for my comment earlier about it is primarily due to its short length and the fact that it was free, sort of just came and went for me.

But damn I'm listening to Head Down right now, amazing chorus. That new NIN single is completely lacking any hook, come on Trent give us another sample!

Edited by Nomrah

I liked Ghosts too actually, for the same reason. I think he said in an interview that was the actual intent, too. That it was supposed to be background music and/or a soundtrack to whatever you were doing. Maybe it was his way of playing with the idea of scoring something? He did get into making (award-winning) film scores after so that makes sense to me, now that we're talking about it.

Yeah, I think I even remember him hosting some sort of Ghosts art contest on youtube where anyone could create and share any sort of creative media that was inspired by a song from the album. Letting the music paint a picture in your head and let out whatever comes to mind. Trent's great with these things.

Also, You probably already know this but he also scored the soundtrack for Quake and produced the Natural Born Killers and Lost Highway soundtracks. He's a dynamic guy for sure.

Edited by Nomrah

Yeah, I think I even remember him hosting some sort of Ghosts art contest on youtube where anyone could create and share any sort of creative media that was inspired by a song from the album. Letting the music paint a picture in your head and let out whatever comes to mind. Trent's great with these things.

Also, You probably already know this but he also scored the soundtrack for Quake and produced the Natural Born Killers and Lost Highway soundtracks. He's a dynamic guy for sure.

Fuck, you're right I forgot all about that...idk how cuz NIN was all over boxes in Quake and Perfect Drug is a dope song. Good looking out.

Did you ever get a chance to cop the remastered Pretty Hate Machine? He got to remaster and release it in like 2010. Totally fucking worth it dood.

I dont like the 2010 remaster too much. They kinda killed the dynamics. Regardless of the master I like the album, lots of synth to tickle my fancy.

TDS is great.

I never really gave Ghosts much of a chance. Maybe I'll go back and listen to it some more one of these days.

Edited by The OB Express

Did you ever get a chance to cop the remastered Pretty Hate Machine? He got to remaster and release it in like 2010. Totally fucking worth it dood.

Saw it was out a bit ago after looking into some NIN product, I'm definitely picking that up sometime. Terrible Lie man, one of my favorites, especially live. What a great album.

Trent was so angsty, he had that snarling tone in his voice, now with his thick neck and calm and cool demeanor he just kind of throat sings but it works.

I have TDS on vinyl and it's godly through a good system. Easily one of the best listening experiences I've ever had with music.

I remember you posting a photo with your TDS vinyl, very cool. Vinyl is an amazing experience.

I dont like the 2010 remaster too much. They kinda killed the dynamics. Regardless of the master I like the album, lots of synth to tickle my fancy.

I remember reading some opinions on the remaster similar to what you mentioned, I heard something regarding the drums I believe, them being not as dynamic as the original.

I still have yet to get TDS remastered. Ghosts is good, some songs are boring, and some he could have really elaborated on, but the sheer volume of different sounds and moods keeps it alive.

Saw it was out a bit ago after looking into some NIN product, I'm definitely picking that up sometime. Terrible Lie man, one of my favorites, especially live. What a great album.

Trent was so angsty, he had that snarling tone in his voice, now with his thick neck and calm and cool demeanor he just kind of throat sings but it works.

oh man Terrible Lie live is soooooo fucking good. It's a million times better live than on PHM. He sounds like a snivelling bitch on PHM (which is great in its own way) but live...man he sounds like he wants to bite heads off of human beings.

Sin is the same. On PHM he sounds like a punk but live he sounds like he'll commit arson on orphanages.

all the extra shit he does live too for those songs of course helps

idk man I've seen him live 3 times and I never got the impression he was calm and cool during the performances. Dood was always aggy.

idk man I've seen him live 3 times and I never got the impression he was calm and cool during the performances. Dood was always aggy.

Oh for sure, I was primarily referring to his more recent album recordings. He's certainly delivering top notch live performances with all songs from all albums, tons of energy.

And yeah, the changes with the songs live is awesome, extra segment and blast of energy with March of the Pigs comes to mind!

Let's just hope it's a dubstep album and he trolls his fans.

Year Zero featured some crazy digital solo's, but it wasn't quite dubstep and it predated the whole Skrillex outbreak so its cool.