NIN is back

Nomrah

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about nin today at work, sort of reviewing the career. Whenever I think of peak performance nin I always end up thinking of this song. Easily one of my favorites, I can have this one going on in my head for awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=450rHBPBNOU

Not saying it's the the single best nin song, but it's certainly powerful.

Anyways I checked out some lyrics on the new album. The new song "Satellite", Trent makes a dig at Obama, pretty good.

"Yes we can, yes we did

Eliminate, despair

Better watch, what you think

What was that, you said?

Everywhere, and everything

And every word, you say

Think I found, a way around

Think I found, a way"

lyrics: http://www.azlyrics..../satellite.html

he likes making political coments the entirety of Year Zero is a big fuck you to george bush

Hell I think he might have literally said "fuck you george bush" in a few of the interviews

I know he did during the shows for Year Zero, he even had George Bush on the monitors and told the crowd to give him what for

He wasn't always like that but post With Teeth he went from self-hating to govt-hating, makes sense for the kind of music he makes

I don't know if there's anything he hates more than republicans tbh

Yeah, that's why I thought it was a neat find, given how much support Trent had initially shown towards Obama. I don't think people should be getting themselves stuck on Republican/Democrat at this point, there's obviously a bigger problem involving more than the two parties.

Knowing how much Trent has been incorporating politics into his recent albums, I kind of expected to find something on the album regarding recent on goings. In this case it seems some NSA tracking, surveillance business. I was going to be sort of disappointed if he didn't to be honest, given how much has been going down these past years.

Also, I've been giving the new album more listens, more and more is starting to stick with me.

Now I'm trying to figure out the overall theme, pretty sure its intended to be a concept album, not sure though haven't even read all the lyrics yet.

Edited by Nomrah

I don't think people should be getting themselves stuck on Republican/Democrat at this point, there's obviously a bigger problem involving more than the two parties.

I'm not stuck on that. I only stated his view cuz you brought up his politics. I don't fuck with either party and haven't for years hahaha fuck the US!

State of Danger for life

Also, it's not rly that he's been political in his music, I shoulda been more clear on that. I'm saying he's very open politically irl (so like his twitter, facebook, website, interviews, etc). He's only really been politically open on the one album I brought up, Year Zero. The Slip sorta does it but not in as direct a way as Year Zero. I mean if you went to the Year Zero shows you'd know what I mean. The entire show was themed around 1984 with Bush as the head badguy.

Like the Slip kinda boiled down to him talking about himself and his career but in an introspective way; that lead single even started with the line "Am I still tough enough?" Which I think was definitely a message. It's funny cuz now that I think about it there's a some similarities in that to Holy Grail by Jay Z. No surprise I think they're buddies, and I'm 99% sure Hov listens to NIN.

tbh this album has already gotten knocked off the deck on my ipod hahaha the new Janelle Monae came out this week and it's great

i'm still down to talk about NIN or this album tho I just gotta start listening to it again, if it starts making me mad tho I'm gonna just start talking about HOW GREAT TDS IS CUZ MY SISTER JUST REBOUGHT IT AND ITS GREAT.

TDS is also on the rotation, to be clear

I'm not stuck on that. I only stated his view cuz you brought up his politics. I don't fuck with either party and haven't for years hahaha fuck the US!

Yes, word.

I was down with Trent's Bush bashing, and Year Zero was great. At the show I went to on the With Teeth tour during "Right Where it Belongs" there was a mesmerizing film being played on the big screen, at one point it shows Bush dancing at some ball with his wife, place went wild haha.

Also not gonna lie, I had Hesitation Marks tunes flowing through my head all day at work today, even songs I never payed as much attention to before. I had listened to it on my big speakers the night before.

Yeah, as far as TDS is concerned, that album is a living thing. An album can't get any more pure than that. My first experience with TDS is pretty great, I've never been more honestly thrown off by an album as much as that. I was in 7th grade when I decided I wanted to dive into NIN, I only knew of NIN from my older brother. Not really knowing what it was all about me and a buddy went to the cd store and I snagged my copy of TDS. All I knew is that I was after something rockin' and heavy, my ideas on heavy music were fairly typical at that point, I had no idea what I was in for. Put it in my friends CD player, fuck, first track dude getting fucking beat it was more like I was being subjected to something rather than being entertained haha. Skip to the second song, very low key Piggy comes on, a bit intimidating, then Heresy, goddamn. I was very intrigued by that point, I knew I had found something special, I took it home and the rest is history.

Edited by Nomrah

You're really starting to feel hesitation marks huh?

that kinda makes sense to me since I don't mind it at work at all I just hate it in my car, so like I think in that way it would potentially get into my brain

TDS is great cuz its the like most famous example of industrial but that genre never ever blew up lol not like NIN did

NIN are like one of the most successful acts in popular music of the last 20+ years, industrial is kinda lame

Bjork is the same way with uhhhhh trip hop. She did that shit major and yet that genre is ass

Yeah, the material had started to sink in over time. I'll be honest I hadn't actually picked up a physical copy until yesterday after I realized that I was truly starting to dig it. Stuff I sort of passed over I'm now feeling. It's got good melody and vibes, stuff on it progresses nicely with good buildup which lead to some shining moments, I guess I could describe it as being pretty smooth.

Whenever I would consider myself a fan of "industrial" It was pretty much due to NIN haha, I find it funny when the "industrial purists" crawl out and attempt to knock Trent. I do usually like industrial when it's fused with other genres though, Rammstein is a good example. I do like Skinny Puppy, Trent was sort of influenced by them, he has stated that his first single "Down in It" was heavily influenced by "Dig It". And Wumpscut is another industrial artist I have shown appreciation for over the years. That's about as far as I go with industrial though, most of the other stuff gets pretty redundant.

Same with Trip Hop, I've shown interest in the genre, Bjork's Debut is a favorite of mine. I like the Sneaker Pimps, and Akira Yamaoko (Silent Hill composer) has done things to generate my interest in the sound of trip hop. But basically once again, I like it when artists really take the genre to different places and do there own thing with it, and that's when the "purists" start to hate haha, fuck them.

Edited by Nomrah

exactly bro hahahaha fuck the purists your genre is shitty you should be glad someone came along and made it good bitches

NIN > your favorite industrial band

this guy gives good reviews, and in this particular case he said some interesting stuff

I don't always agree with him but his logic is almost always strong

Good stuff, a solid honest review. He touched on the dynamics which I can agree with and I touched on before. He was right on about the beats too, describing the sort of oldschool approach while also addressing the thick vibrant layer of synth blanketing the tracks. "Came back Haunted's" chorus with the heavy horn like droning is fucking great. I found the big thing is that this album has to be played loud (I feel you sort of touched on that in your review PD), otherwise its easy to disregard and miss out on a lot of what it does. All time Low is great, that verse(?) where the funk stops and enters that low thumping bassy section is amazing. Satellite has one of the coolest endings on the album, that whole song rules imo. The list goes on but that's enough for now haha.

Also read that TDS was big on his mind while working on this album, how he was looking back on himself and where he was at in his life and where he is now. Sort of helps my focus on the theory behind the album. --- http://www.spin.com/...n-marks-stream/

EDIT: Link to a good sized interview http://www.npr.org/2...as-20-years-ago

Edited by Nomrah

I found the big thing is that this album has to be played loud (I feel you sort of touched on that in your review PD), otherwise its easy to disregard and miss out on a lot of what it does.

The implication I made I think is the same as what you're saying, but the words were different. What I said was that this album sounds terrible in my car (i.e. open air) but sounded way better on headphones. The reason for this is because the melodies and basslines are weak, and his lyrics suck, but the subtlties in arrangement and instrumentation, along with the atmosphere he creates (the one thing he pulled from TDS/Fragile that I liked, more on that later), mean you should try to hear it on quality headphones. My car has a great soundsystem, but yeah, this album fucking sucked out loud. Like it might be one of the worst albums I've heard in the last 2-3 years bad (like that fucking Bowie album).

Long story short I think it's best to play loud on headphones, but not out loud.

To put it into context, I'd argue Fragile is best on headphones, and TDS is best out loud, but either doesn't actually suck the other way around. The shredding and top sounds on Fragile, and the great (melodramatic) lyrics make for high energy and lots of screaming along, even if the true heart of the album lies in all the little things he does on each track. TDS was meant to make you feel like you needed to punt children into traffic, but if you want to listen to it on headphones there's all kinds of fun, nuanced, stuff going on. Careful listening doesn't net you as much but it's still there, and none of the songs lose any potency when you don't have space (physically).

Also read that TDS was big on his mind while working on this album

Yeah I mentioned this probably more than anything in my review. Mainly he used the same song structure that TDS employs, which I fucking hated. IMO he clearly can't duplicate or even approach TDS's sound anymore and so I really wish he would have just stayed away from that and did new stuff. His last album was great and sounded way more fresh than this.

I wanted Hesitation Marks, not a (way) shittier TDS.

I hear ya.

You know what I really miss most of all, Trent yelling, that snarling yell, he was such a loud dude on the past albums, I know this is obvious but its so true. Somewhere along the late 2000's I had given up on the old Trent comeback. He's gotten comfortable with his new thing so its all good though, Trent's made a lasting impact on each stage of his career and state of mind.

Sort of off-topic but this nin business has got me thinking about this once more. But It hits me whenever I'm writing or creating something personal. When you write something down when your in that place, it's priceless. It's sort of frustrating when you plan to create something while your in that pure state of mind, yet you wait and the next thing you know your at a completely different point in your life, you realize you're not in that spot and those feelings are no longer coursing through you anymore. Feels like such a missed opportunity. Currently I'm tackling with how to grasp those moments and represent them honestly, maybe there could be some pros to that, it could all be clearer to understand those moments in retrospect, yet it loses that blind honesty of not knowing whats ahead. Just something I've been thinking about, I've got a project underway and life has sort of raced by hectically during the planning of it all, I couldn't get it all down!

Edit: I've found for me though that music is the key to bringing these things back, I usually document key moments unintentionally through music. The music I had gravitated towards and listened to during those times sort of imprints itself onto one another, later on I'll listen to those specific tracks to sort of relive those ideas and emotions while engaging in the creative process. I'm using an extensive playlist that I compiled over the last couple of years to get things flowing and up to speed. It's pretty universal but for me music plays a huge part in conjuring visuals.

Anyways great track I came across last night, gets real sick at 2:35 and onward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM

Edited by Nomrah

Sort of off-topic but this nin business has got me thinking about this once more. But It hits me whenever I'm writing or creating something personal. When you write something down when your in that place, it's priceless. It's sort of frustrating when you plan to create something while your in that pure state of mind, yet you wait and the next thing you know your at a completely different point in your life, you realize you're not in that spot and those feelings are no longer coursing through you anymore. Feels like such a missed opportunity. Currently I'm tackling with how to grasp those moments and represent them honestly, maybe there could be some pros to that, it could all be clearer to understand those moments in retrospect, yet it loses that blind honesty of not knowing whats ahead. Just something I've been thinking about, I've got a project underway and life has sort of raced by hectically during the planning of it all, I couldn't get it all down!

preach brother!

you know what I want to add to that, and it's a personal experience thing more than any kind of rule cuz idk if this applies to others, is that while a lot of the time I also have to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak, I also have to sometimes step away from what i'm working on because I'll get caught up in executing bad ideas or ideas that simply don't belong or have a place, just because I like the idea that much. I'll end up making something subpar because of it and I think that it's important sometimes to understand that while you gotta be immersed to make something great you also can't be drowning in it because then you can't see what you're doing or think clearly. You start making crap, for lack of a better term lol.

a good example is when I used to play AC. Sometimes I'd get too obsessed with an idea of how to do something, or make something, and next thing you know I'm making a bot that's garbage just to satisfy the idea. That happens for me with all kinds of stuff (writing, other video games, home projects, etc). Gotta be able to step back and look at stuff once in awhile.

Damn man, I know exactly what your saying word for word. Once you step away you can look at all of what was produced during that time and pick and choose the best and what would fit best alongside the bigger picture. Just recently I have looked back at material and ideas I had wished to incorporate, putting in all of that would be overbearing and convoluted and as you said drowning when compared to the rest of the picture. I'm able now to shave away and cut the stuff that wouldn't necessarily fit alongside everything else. The moments of passion, and the pros of the retrospect, the creative process all works itself out. I definitely appreciate your input, thanks.

Long story short I think it's best to play loud on headphones, but not out loud.

This is pretty much exactly what I thought. It was kind of nice when I turned the volume up, but it's still more of background music to me than anything.

Trent has always been my favorite artist and was pretty much the one who got me interested in music in the first place, so I was really hoping that this would leave more of an impact on me. I don't think anyone is capable of composing pure diamond 24/7/365 though, so it's all good. <3

hell yeah NIN rules

for me, he's made so much music that's impacted my life in a big way that he'll pretty much always have a pass in my book

I think I said it before but he could put out trash albums for the rest of his life and it wouldnt change my opinion on him or his work

I've been giving The Slip another round. Probably first time I've really listened to it since 08'. Such a raw listen, gets in there and does its thing and it's got plenty of depth over the course of the album. It's both aggressive and deep. I think I might be appreciating it more now than I did back then, might've took it for granted being free and slightly shorter. I'm also actually liking "Discipline" a lot this time around, and that pretty much means I really like every song on the album. Head Down and Lights in the Sky are so great.

I pretty much have "nin fever" once again, a number of times over the years I'll find myself getting into nin to the point where I have to go through my entire nin catalog till I'm burnt out. I don't do this with too many artists, Trent just has a gift for making each and every album totally unique from one another, each one has it's own distinct theme and feel.

Also PD did you end up getting tickets? I'm afraid I didn't get myself to the point of buying any.

Best remix and I usually don't care for remixes, 2:40 is one of my favorite things in music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_JEKHGgoi0&list=PLQPmSkIvR-4tatqfjWycvFu2tgITviVxe

Edited by Nomrah

No for the NIN one I didn't because I leave for Beijing the same night as his show so I said screw it

Also Jay Z tickets went on sale and I got those instead

I missed out on Kanye tho so I can't go to his upcoming tour

The Slip is great, NIN's 4th best album imo

yeah I woulda got both but I'll prolly miss that flight if I try to do the NIN show

I went to a Slint show the night before leaving for Guanacaste once that wasn't so bad but the flight was like at 3-4 in the afternoon departure time, I think the Beijing departure time is actually wild early but I forget

either way it's just not reasonable to try and go :(

• 1 month later...