Bringing the kai scene back!

Mom

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might get to playing on Kai now that I have good internet and the shit needed to so it.

Having done it before with relative sobriety will help too, prolly.

I might dick with it today, but I'm sorta beta-testing ROTK in hopes I can stream it or something and make a Let's Play for it.

Well, most of my fights today with TMRaven involved 5 new designs each named "Concept #". The tally as for matches today:

Drac wins: 8, TM wins: 16 (12 not counting me going OOB by accident)

Concept 1: R2/HP with HARPY/NYMPHE/RM3 on EYE3/UL/MACAQUE/COUGAR2. I tried U4 with it, but UL (not /UL) felt way better. This design is probably 1 of my best due to it's versatility. R2/HP can be played many ways and HARPY/NYMPHE/RM3 provide some good support. Will be named and painted.

Concept 2: some quad with GERYON and R2/HP again. I didn't really like it, GERYON doesn't seem to be good on quads.

Concept 3: a FA heavy using BP/HP and the HARPY/NYMPHE/RM3 combo again. Not a bad design, but I need to learn how to deal with pressure better. BP can deliver. Will be named and painted.

Concept 4: RS/R3 with 69M/RM3 on S2//UL/MACAQUE/DINGO2. A pretty good design but /UL over /UL2 may not have been the best decision, but it still works. I like how /UL allows me to change position faster with the more powerful OB. Oh yeah, it's the design in the 1 recording I got. Will be named and painted.

Concept 5: another FA heavy (but bulkier than Concept 3) with HARPY/NYMPHE/RM3 and SHADE/R3. Wasn't bad, but it seemed to have some energy issues for some reason (lower energy would lead to less moving and 98G shots to the face). I don't plan to further develop this design.

Edited by Queen Drac Wraith

Concept 5 is super buff, but you need to have less weight in the back weapons. Shade/R3 alone is enough to kill anything, and the frame (I think it was Eye3/UA/Lemur/FA) is beefy enough to handle anything. A better option for it is just to run with Harpy/RM2 and drop quick, or drop even quicker if you're getting pressured early.

Head was DRONE. I guess I'll look at it again. If I do the HARPY/RM2 route, I'll probably put S3 legs on it (why do I feel like I've tried this already?). I still need to test Drakes of Wrath to see if it's any good (I'm feeling like it's not). I just need to figure out what 10 ACs I want in my competitive selection. Below is what I'm thinking atm. I'll get to names and paint for the concept ACs at some point. I may move stuff around (mainly the second file) if I get better with things like hovers and tanks.

Competitive File 1

Inquisitor (81G MW Biped Jouster, I'm mostly set with this design)

Arctic Storm (Extreme Aggression Biped, still needs work)

Disruption (SHADE/FENRIR MW Biped, very happy with this design)

Panzerfaust (GERYON3/GL MW Quad, pretty decent design)

Red Eyed Tree Frog (Missile Dropper LRJ, still needs some work)

Competitive File 2

Concept 1 (Versatile MW Biped, very happy with this)

Slot not yet filled

Concept 3 (BP HW Biped, pretty good, need to work on piloting)

Concept 4 (RS/R3 OB MW Biped, pretty happy, again need work on piloting)

Concept 5 (SHADE/R3 Super Buff MW Biped, needs work)

I plan on having 2 more files: 1 dedicated to hovers and 1 with some tanks and something else, maybe I'll dedicate it to tanks, lol. Hmm, maybe a file or 2 of some other people's designs as well... I'll figure out what I want.

Edited by Queen Drac Wraith

S3 might not be so good, you'll be even heavier and dranier. Considering Shade/R3 isn't the biggest lockbox and you have shot-drain, might as well stick with FA for faster speed that translates into better energy efficiency.

One hover in LR is already pretty crazy, having a dedicated file for them is pretty unreal. Tanks are cool though. I think your first file is already the file with other people's bots, haha.

I don't think so. FA might be overall the better leg as far as how it fits into the LR metagame, but S3 is definitely one of the buffest frame parts in the game. It's the true heavyweight legs of LR. Edited by Top Notch Penis

First file may have designs pretty similar to other people's designs (I'd say Disruption is the closest to anything, particularly 2 parts away from Ultraviolent I want to say, and that's just right arm weapons), but it's my take on stuff.

Hover file because I can and it makes sense for the Queendom to have more than 1 or 2 hovers. Not all of the hovers will be made to be as competitive as possible (I have a large missile hover, might make a missile boat as well). Also, Niji is interested in seeing what I create. I'll probably just put all 5 in 1 post. Speaking of hovers, TM, what did you use on Beak? I caught ENCHIDNA2 and GRIFFON which isn't what's in your garage as of this post.

My tank file will probably contain the 3 tanks I already have, my float tank from a while back, and super buff and slow heavy with dual H3 and dual HARPY2 with the SALENA core and URCHIN because I can. It doesn't even break 300 speed with TP.

Well, I've got a full memory card of replays. 2 fights against TMRaven, both featuring Milksop (1 of which is from a session before yesterday). The other 6 matches are against Nob, who I believe doesn't understand the concept of boosting forward more than like MAYBE 5 times in a whole match.

As for Arctic Storm and my progress with it... I haven't been getting wins out of it, but that's hard against somebody with way more experience than I have AND it happens that TMRaven happens to have fought people like DaCapn and Bato-something? I think I got that right. On other words, TM knows how to keep range against aggressors which makes it pretty hard for me to get results. It's still fun though. I find the passive to aggressive transition in a match is a viable strategy, but the key is to get AP lead so that you can control the match.

This is the version I'm happiest with right now, may need to mess with the missiles more. I don't like the PANTHER legs, I feel they don't have enough turning. They fit on my dual HP LW, Revolver Ocelot though (it's more of a joke build than anything) since they give that "western" look with the feet and such.

Now, I'm running L2 legs with no stability optional part. Does it matter? Well, it's more of an Achille's Heel than a flaw I see throughout a whole match. Basically, if I get caught with a hard land and my opponent can strike then, I'm probably done (with stability, I'd probably at least take massive damage). It was pretty funny watching myself get obliterated. I'll let TMRaven explain this further.

Oh, I need to get better with URCHIN. I've hit my own more than a few times, sometimes in matches where I was doing well. It was painful. So, I should have matches up soon after I feel like recording them.

well I guess now you know what it feels like to play against an exploitative coward hahahahahaha

dealing with that can be tricky cuz even if there's a skill gap in your favor there's a chance (sometimes a great chance) that it won't matter

if the gap is big enough and the bots involved don't skew it enough for w/e reason then it can be dealt with but otherwise nah ur prolly toast

obviously if you're not having fun you can just say "no i'm not gonna play you" or you just have to find ways to deal with it, try to plan for that sort of thing while ur designing ur bots so u can think of parts and/or strats that can help you win the match

there are macro issues involved in that sort of play but I think I talked about it a little on that podcast I did so I wont rehash here

2 major things you should consider:

1: Getting an ap lead with griffon is all well and good, using missiles with griffon is a very strong tactic. However, Getting the ap lead and then going on the aggressive is backwards logic. Having no SS optional on L2 legs doesn't help either. Usually you get the ap lead and control your range and play defensively. That isn't to say you have to run away, but you should be able to control your range well enough to put pressure on the opponent while keeping yourself at the defensive advantage (your shots are more accurate when they're moving towards you.) Think a strong footsies game in a fighting game. That's why Pin Prick and Ultraviolent work out so well, because they get an AP lead with RM3 and Fenrir, then they control the match with RS or 98L. You do well in the matches with griffon, but once it runs out, your playstyle is too passive for the pixie3 and handgun.

2: You're using my particular frame for the Griffon, but it wasn't designed to be used with the Griffon. The combination of the drain on that frame, Vulture2 boosters with Lotus, OB, Griffon, and no batteries, leads you to have energy problems. I even saw it on replays where you're constantly red-lining. Red-lining while playing passively should not be happening. Yaka's bot has batteries because he needs that extra energy during the most pivotal moments of Griffon aggression.

I think you either need to make something more similar to pin prick or ultraviolent with the lefty griffon and missiles, then you can drop the griffon and control the match with a longer range right hand weapon. Having Dingo2 legs or XS arms for low drain wouldn't hurt either.

Or,

You can either go the the yaka bot way and go full on aggression with the batteries on a less drainier frame, or more like my bot where you have an R3 on your left for the majority of the match and you're either going on the offensive, or you can default to controlling range with R3 and 69M if you have to.

honestly tho try not to get too mad just try to think up new strats and/or design changes to give urself a better chance against that sort of thing

me personally, i used to have some plans in place playing-wise, and I knew several ppl in my area who played that way to practice against