Primer

SUMERIAN BLOOD GOD

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Primer.jpg

This is one of my favorite movies and I only just saw it a few months ago. Here's the trailer but it really doesn't tell you much about the movie. Basically a couple of guys who run a small side business making and selling some sort of circuit board thing with two of their friends have their own side project trying to make an anti-gravity device thingamajig but wind up making a time machine. It's unlike traditional time machines though since it only allows the user to travel back to the time it was switched on and only moves you back at normal speed. In other words, if the device is switched on at noon and allowed to run until 6 p.m. then the user enters at that time and waits six hours inside to get out at the activation time of noon.

It's a really interesting movie to watch. It's real slow to start up but by the end I thought my brain was going to drip out my nose. In a good way. I highly recommend that you don't read the wiki article on it or anything that goes too far into the plot since it's really engaging to try and figure out what exactly is going on while the characters onscreen do the same thing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Primer_abeandaaron.jpg

It's practically the definition of an independent film with a budget of only $7k. The writer is also the director and is also the producer and is also the cinematographer and is also the editor and is also the music composer and is also one of the two main characters and most of the people in the film are either his family or friends.

I really can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this movie. After it ended I wasn't actually sure if I liked it or not since my mind was still trying to figure out what I'd just seen. It really eats at your brain in a good way. Repeat viewings help in understanding but I'd suggest you wait until your mind settles down (best to let it sleep on it) before you try to watch it again or else you're likely to go catatonic.

• 2 months later...

I've shown this movie to as many people as possible over the years.

It was positively impressive what they did with so little a budget, and it seemed so open-ended! I mean the hand-writing decaying over time? It definitely held an air of plausibility.

• 3 weeks later...