Julian Assange

Shirtless Crackhead

People already have the information. Deleting a webserver and DDoS'ing the site isn't going to do anything but postpone it spreading. Deep down, I really want to see a new Ninety-Five Theses, a la Martin Luther that started the Protestant Reformation. I think that the spreading of traditionally printed papers containing all of the documents that were leaked could be very effective.

Well: Leaking information that can put people's lives at stake is treason to me: I heard he leaked about several people who are helping us keep the Taliban at bay in Afganistan. Names, of civilian informants, who are helping us.

If that isn't treason or terrorism, I don't know what is.

the rest I just shrug off, friendly fire pisses me off, but it's gonna happen, it's not something I want to know about, but yes, perhaps people should know about that.

However, if you willingly put peoples lives at stake like that, I'm well more than pissed.

A lot of people will die, should information like that get out.

Edit: Correction

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/27/le...ies-informants/

old news, but the Taliban has the names already, and have stated they will kill those people, their blood is on Julian's hands, and the hands of the person who outed this information.

Though he has removed the article, and apologized, hundreds of lives are in danger. This is beyond an apology.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2635568/posts

read them and weep.

Edit: On a lighter note, if it wasn't for the above information being leaked.

http://sadpanda.us/images/298230-CH67WDL.jpg

pic related: I really have no problem with free speech otherwise, Only when people's lives are in danger, do I start to care.

Edited by ^Slaanesh

Most all of the leaked documents make the US look pretty good, IMO.

I've been reading everything lately, it's slowly driving me mad.

Also Cheney outed active CIA agent during war-time, now that's arguably definable as treason.

This made me epic lol.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu125/Enganacious/1291492431087.jpg

Edited by DangerWorldWide

Well, it is true.

I'm still miffed about the leaked civilian agents, but everything else does seem to be some need-to-know info.

And I personally have no problem with any information that puts shady politicians in jail.

Edited by ^Slaanesh

I am glad 4chan decided to make sure he wins the vote for Time's Most Influential Person of the Year.

He should win IMO, the top contenders besides him (he's winning btw) are Recep Tayyip Erdogan (Turk PM, for saying shit about the Gaza flotilla, in which Israel was within their rights, if you know me, I don't support Israel), Lady Gaga, Jon Stewart/Steven Colbert, and Glenn Beck.

Seriously, people who read Time have gone to pop-culture and fantasy land.

In a war, where a country founded on the principals of freedom, democracy, and justice; tries to spread those values and deal with tyrannical governments and religious terrorists, to make it criminal to speak the truth, to make criminal the act of pointing out injustice and demand something be done; it strikes me as just a tad, ironic.

The US government should be ashamed of their foreign policy machine, and fuck the Paki's and Saudi's they're more our enemy than Iraq or Afghanistan ever were.

If it's a crime to point out what the Government does wrong, that's a tyrannical government.

They have every right to be mad, this will hurt the administration politically, but they put themselves in this position, making deals with the Saudi's who fund terrorism the world over, the Pakistani's who claim to be our ally, yet fund terrorists anyway.

Not to mention the grand ineptitude of the Iraqi and Afghan governments.

In Afghanistan I've watched Afghan soldiers get killed from hypothermia and shit because their supply officer won't issue cold-weather gear, the Afghani's are a greedy, hoarding, corrupt, and immoral people. I've watched an SF commander get chewed out because when his request for supplies/equipment to arm and train a SWAT team in Ghazni was snubbed, he and the ODA broke into the place, and took what they needed. The irony being that it was the Afghan minister who raised a fit, even though everything that was stolen was purchased/given to them by the US.

The Afghan government only has shit because we give them money, then we're supposed to work along side them, and they won't do anything because they want to keep all their money/whatever. I've had to deal with this shit first hand, and it makes fighting a war nearly impossible.

In Iraq you still have citizens getting armed up and driving around killing civilians, only later to be killed by US troops; and everybody says it's a fucking catastrophe.

It is, it all is.

What people don't realize, it's both a US-made catastrophe in terms of foreign policy and a Iraqi/Afghan made catastrophe by not being able to produce enough intelligent, honest, and driven people to make a change; instead they elect the same kind of people that ran Saddam's government or the Taliban.

Problem with Iraq/Afghanistan falls down to one simple, inescapable, and unrelenting truth.

Iraqis and Afghans are stupid, indoctrinated into a religion that further stunts any possible intellectualism, and they put people into a position of power who are either equally stupid, or equally stupid AND terribly corrupt. IMO they will be failed states the instant their umbilical cord to billions of US dollars, security, and support is dropped, unless somehow you can educate them both to be smart and decent people.

Which, ain't gonna happen.

So this war will either go on forever, or eventually lead to another series of government collapses post-US intervention.

Edited by DangerWorldWide

Well: Leaking information that can put people's lives at stake is treason to me: I heard he leaked about several people who are helping us keep the Taliban at bay in Afganistan. Names, of civilian informants, who are helping us.

If that isn't treason or terrorism, I don't know what is.

Terrorism is not people doing things you with which you disagree; it's the act of using fear as a means of persuasion.

old news, but the Taliban has the names already, and have stated they will kill those people, their blood is on Julian's hands, and the hands of the person who outed this information.

Not redacting that info? Dick move? Yeah. Colossal fuck up? Yeah. But I'm still 100% positive their blood is on the Taliban's hands.

Also Cheney outed active CIA agent during war-time, now that's arguably definable as treason.

Fixed.

EDIT: I'm anxious to see how this WikiLeaks "poison pill contingency" plan with more leaking that everyone was going on and on about works out now that Assange was apprehended.

Edited by Lenin

Pendragon, you have absolutely no idea what WikiLeaks is, do you?

I know what it is.

I've been hearing about it on just about every other site. They released some "documents" to the public via Wikileaks and it's gotten ALOT of attention. So naturally I assumed Assange is behind it.

Or did I miss something?