PC Gaming Requirements!

Harakiri Tiger

Ok, so I often get asked by people if their gaming or non-gaming rigs can run a specific game. Typically, this means I have to ask them what a number of their parts are and then look up those parts to see their stats and put it all together in my head. This is kind of tiring, a little confusing, and not really 100% effective. I can only guess, since I don't know if you're drivers are updated, if you're bottlenecking bad in some spot, or any number of other small things.

Anyway, I was browsing the net a while back and came across this website that can test your PC, and maybe Mac, to see if it can run a specific game. You choose the game from a drop-down list and the website checks your PC to see some of your parts and then gives you a basic readout for running the game at minimum settings, optimized settings (in the middle), and at recommended settings. Now, it's not a perfect test. Far from it. It's almost as accurate as I can be, though. Which means there's no reason to ask me about whether your computer can run a specific game anymore!

Here's the website link
: >
YouGamers

Look to the right of the game and you'll see a box that asks you to run the "Game-O-Meter." Find the game you want to check against your computer and click the Game-O-Meter button. It might ask you to run a Java applet and such, click OK for that. After it runs the test it'll give you some ratings. As long as your bar is nearly the same length as the "Optimized Settings" bar you'll run the game just fine, no matter what. If you're above the "Recommended Settings" you'll very probably be able to run the game at max settings, barring any Anti-Aliasing, at an average 40FPS or more.

Note that the YouGamers website seems to consider a 1024x768 to be a low resolution, 1280x1024 and 1680x1050 to be a standard resolution, 1920x1200 to be a high resolution, and 2560x1600 to be a very high resolution. Also, note that the recommended settings tend to be exaggerated by game developers nowadays.

Anyway, enjoy!