Some Abstract

Tsuranga

So I gots a new art teacher. My last one was a TOTAL anal-retentive perfectionist. But now I have this slightly insane barely intelligable little old chinelse lady as a painting teacher. And she is AWESOME she wanted to get me into the feeling and raw emoution of art by starting with some abstract. So.... as I was starting on the base to a nice detailed painting, I let her "fix" it with a 5" house painting brush doused in thinner, and globs of paint.... From there I got the idea and did this:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/theaegis/PIC-0285.jpg

It's not done yet cuz she wants me to do some nice intricate details in the center joints and such of the mecha. To contrast the awesome large scale strokes, this thing is 24"x18" so it's fairly big ;).

And as a contrast of the teachers, this is what my last one had me do:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/theaegis/PIC-0187.jpg

TOTALLY different, huh? Anyways what does Acu think of the change in art styles? I'm hoping with my next painting to go BIGGER and do like a 48"x36" canvas

I think the previous teacher was just trying to teach you how shapes and shadows and colors work first so that you could later on apply them to other art you make. I don't think that helps much for abstract art, though.

I really like the mech pic, though. I'd consider that a + since I don't like mechs, much. Haha.

Oh yeah, I TOTALLY love how my old art teacher made me develop my artists's eyes for recreating detail to a level of photorealist perfection. But I also love how my new teacher wants me to explore other aspects of art. I'm just glad to have seen both sides of the spectrum in art appreciation.

That drapery was hell, I wanted to just summarize the texture.. .but NOPE. My art teacher wanted me to copy each tiny little crinkle accurately, while still providing a overall sense of "interest" in the far most and plain areas of it. She wanted each and every inch of this charcoal to have "interest" with perfect texture @_@. If you compared the IRL drape and all it's crinkles to the drawing you would shit yourself.