Moon

SUMERIAN BLOOD GOD

http://rantingandreeling.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/moon-sam-rockwell-movie-poster.jpg

Just finished watching this film and I'm pretty astounded. Sam Rockwell is an astronaut stationed on a lunar mining base. He is the only person stationed on the base with only GERTY (Kevin Spacey), a robotic assistant, for company. He is almost at the end of his three year contract and about to return when his mental state becomes increasingly erratic. You can check the wiki for spoilers but I would avoid them. It's nothing that will keep you from enjoying the movie but it's always nice to be a little surprised.

Rockwell does a fantastic job in his role and Spacey's voice is perfectly suited for GERTY's pseudo-AI. GERTY's viewscreen emoticons also do a fantastic job of making the robot an actual character instead of just something for Rockwell to bounce his words off.

It was nominated for two BAFTA awards (think British Oscars); best British film and "outstanding debut by a British writer, director or producer", the latter of which was awarded to the director. It was also nominated for and won several British Independent Film awards. General high praise from most critical venues.

Definitely something to keep an eye out for next time you're looking for a movie to watch.

@Niji: It came out in 2009. Not sure if it's on PSN or not; I streamed it from Netflix.

@LCC:

Well I can understand Sam 1 not freaking out a whole lot since he was already starting to get pretty wack. He probably thought it was just another delusion at first. Sam 2 was just woken up as well so he might have thought it was brain damage from the "crash;" he freaked when he was searching for the secret room, though. I just chalked it up to neither guy really trusting what they were seeing at first. Since it's in the future maybe cloning was more commonplace so they're not really freaking that they were clones of each other but just shocked that their employer did it without them knowing.

• 1 year later...

I watched this a few months ago. It was nice to see just because it was so conceptually old-fashioned: it didn't try to push any envelopes, it just focused on presenting a convention well. It was like the film equivalent of a '60s Analog story.

GERTY's disposition was a nice departure from formula, though. I liked that he wasn't a stereotypical Asimov bot or a stereotypical Clarke bot. He doesn't even seem to fully understand what's going on...I don't know, I can't elaborate too greatly. I just liked how he was portrayed.

I felt like the ending was tacked on, though. Rushed, and not really in the spirit of the film. And the rest of the film seemed kind of drawn out. It's very rare that I think a film is too long, but I thought this one could have lost a lot of time and been better for it. It was very much a short story idea, not a novel idea, but they made a novel movie out of it.