Dark Souls

Magnus

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey TM, had you ever considered (for your SerpMan DMB Build) knocking your DEX to 10 and use the Zwei? It does slightly more damage and probably has better combo potential than ManSerp GS. I might use it over the Great Club for my DMB Build, sacrificing around 100 damage, since it is probably easier to stall against the Great Club than the Zwei.

I see no useful moves the Zweihander has. It's painfully slow, and has no good aoe attacks like the great club and dragon tooth. I havn't touched my Manserp build in a while, in favor for a more general build that utilizes 40str and 40int instead. Probably wouldn't be that way if I was forced to trade my cartwheel ring over from that file because I died as I let the bugs in blight town kill Shiva. The Dragon Tooth is not as streamlined, but it's also not geared towards only one weapon. If I were to use a super great sword like Zweihander, it'd be the Demon Great Machete.

Right now I'm making a third build that uses 40str/40 dex, and I'll basically be able to use any weapon I want in the game to troll with. I figure with that bulid I'll learn the most about what weapons are truly the most useful in the game.

Wait what? Zwei is a completely different weapon altogether. It's Ultra Greatsword class...manserp is Greatsword class.

Great Hammer class weapons are faster than Ultra Greatsword class weapons in all cases. This includes BK Gsword iirc. Also, Greatsword class weapons are all faster than Ultra Greatswords. idk how zwei would combo better than any Greatsword class weapon. Are you looking at these things in game?

Besides if he was gonna go Ultra Greatsword, demon great machete makes more sense than zwei by far.

Sorry, I won't be getting a new PS3 until Wednesday. I can't do actual testing until then.

The main problem I see with a DMB class is that someone can just turtle for a minute and you are left with a sub-optimized Normal or Dragon weapon. This means that it is ideal for you to kill your opponent in one or two combos or have a good dex weapon to apply pressure. I am more interested in the combo route, even though the dex route might be more viable. I am just trying to think of all the weapons I had used that has good stun lock capabilities, which are the Zwei 2H and Claymore. My fear is that with the Great Club, I can hit the enemy once, but they can escape, heal, and continue to turtle until my miracle wears off. Though, admittedly, the Great Club 2H @ 50 Faith does net me 1097 (622/475/0/0) damage, which is a lot of damage.

Sorry for not explaining this. I was busy grading papers.

Edit:

TBH, I am not sure if DMB is even worth using anymore, considering that the CMW can net you the same attack power at a much low INT investment thanks to TCC, which gives you more freedom to invest in other stats. DMB also restricts you to stay at covenant, which is pretty stupid.

Edited by Wong

That's what I was hinting at: Zwei doesn't combo. Greatswords combo fairly well.

Great Hammer class can combo but it's tricky. The spacing and timing are key, and sometimes you just get unlucky (lag!). I've killed people on the combo before whereas other times they just roll right out of it.

Honestly, if you want to really combo someone you gotta use lighter weapons. That's why if you are using enchants you want to use fast weapons instead of slow ones.

I use great hammers all the time. Smough's Hammer and Grant are two of my favorite weapons. I can vouch for GHs.

uber edit: yeah I don't use DMB either. I don't like it personally.

manserp = claymore btw

Edited by Penguin Deus

Ya there's a reason why I havn't really been using that build that much. It's moreso the fact that I like my dragon tooth build better as it's more broad in its weapon usage. I don't even use cmw that much on that build at all either, so chances are I'll be using the 40str/40dex build over that when I get that build together.

Because I'd be at risk of losing my covenant by trolling random guys, that manserp dmb build what only be relegated to invasions.

There's a good reason to use dmb over cmw for that one specified element, though.

At their ideal states, the dmb build would have 2 uses and gives 470 magic attack. Cmw would have 3 uses and give 380 magic attack.

You mention weapons with good stunlock and list claymore, but manserp is a claymore. It loses a tiny amount of range, but it trades that for higher attack and you don't even have to pump 40dex to get that high attack.

Because I'd be at risk of losing my covenant by trolling random guys, that manserp dmb build what only be relegated to invasions.

Whelp, that's the last nail in the coffin. Off to more interesting builds!

Also, I really appreciate your inputs guys. I might have a 40STR/40DEX build as well to try out all the weapons.

What's all this bitching about how hard Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo are? I pretty much breezed through Anor Londo, until Smough and Ornstein, and the only thing causing troubles in Sen's Fortress was that firebomb throwing giant. Did I level too much (lv 40 when entering Sen's fortress, 53 now before Smough and Ornstein)? Is it about online stuff? Or is it just whining?

Also, will black knight halberd still be usefull later in the game and should I save those special souls for later for weapon crafting? I'm aiming for heavy halbert/spear knight built.

I don't think I even broke 40 by the time I had slain the asshole brigade.

If you play them offline they're easier, yeah, since both are invaded often. Neither is hard if you take your time, but that's normal for the game. idk though I haven't seen anyone complain about Anor Lando. I've seen complaints about Sen's Fort cuz of all the traps that can fuck you up if you stop looking for them. The short route through Sen's Fort though on first playthru, if you have lots of vit, pretty much ignores the whole level.

I'd say Demon Ruins I hate the most, but only because it was a really boring map and way too long.

So, I'm a bit overpowered... Probably thanks to the habit of going everywhere else before going to where I should and raking souls that way. I probably got the hardness idea from Kotaku or some reviews. Can't remember anymore, except for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A

Edited by Assailant

How is that video bitching? That's hilarious!

The boss fight for Anor Lando is one of the hardest in the game the first time, though. Well unless you get Solaire, or anyone online, then it becomes easy peezy.

Oh, and really the worst part of going in overlevelled isn't the actual SLs...it's all the extra gear you presumably had when you went from going everywhere else.

There's a good chance you were insanely overpowered if you went like everywhere else you could go before fighting the beavis and butthead!

Edited by Penguin Deus

Crystal Cave. It's not hard at all, but it's a major pain in the ass. I got no complains about anything else in the game that I've played so far. I havn't played Tomb of Giants yet but we'll see how that turns out. The most dangerous parts of the game are the falls. I think the aspect I've died on the most in the game is the giant wheel in Blight Town.