ACU Wiki Editing Crew

I'm going to start up basic work on the ACU Wiki. I'm still not sure on the overall template I want on the particulars like individual parts, missions, arena opponents, and such, but I do have the main AC game pages and the parts list pages set up and ready for editing. I eventuallly want the wiki to be somewhat of a database for all the information we can get on the AC games, but for now all I want is those main pages and parts lists filled in to some decent degree without breaking the basic format. I'm also famously lazy so it should be pretty obvious that I won't do it alone in a timely fashion. We worked on it a bit last year, but not much since I was still trying to decide stuff and people had to get used to the wiki formatting.

Anyway, I'll be going through fixing and creating templates as much as I can and I would like to have some people help me fill in missing parts and game information. Nothing more for now, either. No individual part pages or mission pages or anything of the kind. Just the main page describing the game and the parts lists with their bare minimum stats.

I understand that not everyone has access to editing the wiki as of right now who may want to help me edit the wiki and many of those who do have access to it have no experience using the wiki markup (wiki formatting code, basically). I really only want a few individuals helping though so it's easier for me to manage, teach, organize, and clean-up what they do. I won't have to explain things like formatting or the layouts I want to use 20x over. So, I'm looking for about 4-5 people who can help me with the wiki for now.

Now, some of you may be wondering about the main page information or worrying about not knowing enough about the games in question. Filling in parts lists isn't really that hard, just time consuming, but the main pages need to be relatively well fleshed out and I would highly prefer they use original content or at least a far more robust and cleaned up amount of information compared to other AC wiki sites. This is where you will come into extremely forceful contact with one of the things I VERY INCREDIBLY SUPER MUCH ULTRA REALLY HYPER LOTS MANY want to do. I am adding reference links to the wiki for most of the pages in it. Anyone who chooses to help me will have to use reference links in all their work outside of lists.

I know, you're probably wondering what in the world reference links in the wiki would link to. Well, I'll tell you and you may or may not like it. I don't know. Much like the normal Wikipedia site has references to the sources that it got its information from, ACU Wiki will have links from just about every page (barring lists) to a source for the information if at all possible. These links will very likely lead to the ACU forums and potentially other sites. What will they link to? Topics. Discussion topics specifically for that wiki article or group of articles. These topics will have the [Wiki] tag added to the front of the topic title so they're easy to search for and easy to notice. Forum topics are easier to manage and use than wiki talk pages (by a fuckton of a long shot) and they'll help add content and activity to the forum as well. They also allow everyone to have somewhat of a voice in what goes on the actual wiki.

Everyone who ends up helping me has to make those reference topics for the articles they're working on and then reference those topics and the information in those topics when they write in the wiki. In some cases, you may have to do very little work overall besides just summarizing and formatting what has been said in the topic by other members. This also means you don't have to know much about the topic, either, just how to summarize it. However, it does require that you sort through the information pretty well. You also have to add a link to the respective topic for each wiki page you work on, even if the page is empty. This provides an easy access place for people who can't edit the wiki to provide info and discussion for the wiki. Again, some pages still won't have references. Part Lists/Mission Lists/Arena Lists are good examples of pages without the need for references.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't meant to be a copy of Wikipedia or some kind of Armored Core Encyclopedia as would be written by some stuffy suit in a university, but I feel as if this method of incorporting reference topics on the forums really benefits our ability to work with the wiki. Also, ACU Wiki does not represent the entire AC community in any way. Just ACU. When something on the wiki says popular/everyone/most people/minority/reception/etc it refers to ACU's memberbase by default, and even then not likely in its entirety since not everyone speaks up.

-----

If you want to help me work on the ACU Wiki, so we can at least have the basic infrastructure for it up and running before AC:V hits, you should PM me about it. Mind you, this isn't going to give you leeway to edit the wiki in any way you want or change basic formatting. Everyone will be free to provide input on articles via the forums. You'll basically just be a secretary who fills in the forms and makes the reference topics. It's not exactly fun, but I would appreciate some help if anyone is willing to give it.

-----

Feel free to discuss the ACU Wiki in general in this topic if you want.

I suddenly had a lot of people agree to help with the slave work. I'm going to go ahead and say that we don't need any more actual wiki editors now.

We'll still be posting reference topics on the wiki and discussing things about the wiki in general in this thread, though. Everyone should be able to provide their input on any number of wiki stuff soon. Just give us about a week to get used to working on the thing and then you'll see the forum get flooded with topics with no replies! Hopefully anyway. Haha.

I also ask that anyone who was not recruited to be on the Wiki Editing Crew to please not edit the wiki.

More than good enough. We can clean up what's left of it to make it look real good.

That reminds me, though. The part names changed. I think the best thing to do is to just use one set of part names and then make "redirect pages" for their older names in case anyone does a search for them. The question is, which set of names do we use? Since each part from 4/fA will share one parts page there will be some parts pages (like the Euryale) that have 3 names all for the same part. Which should we use? Redirects will make any of them work, but I feel we should probably pick one soon.

Fkn douchebags changing up part names so much.

EDIT: I think using the latest version per game is a good idea.

Useful chatlog!

[Niji] 6:45 pm: I like B's left aligned descriptions.

[Niji] 6:45 pm: And I think for AC4/fA.

[Niji] 6:45 pm: We should list the parts as "Shop" if you start with them or can buy them.

[Niji] 6:45 pm: Since you can start with numerous parts.

[Niji] 6:46 pm: And then the ones you can find in missions or earn can just be listed with the appropriate mission/enemy.

[Niji] 6:46 pm: They get unlocked in shop, yah?

[Exorcet] 6:47 pm: They're be a bit complicated to list otherwise since it depends on what starter AC you choose.

[Exorcet] 6:47 pm: Yeah.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: And I think those parts change according to what you started with or something.

[Exorcet] 6:47 pm: In the shop.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: Yah.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: Just call them "Shop" if you have to buy them.

[Exorcet] 6:47 pm: OK.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: I figure that'll be easiest.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: Default for the games that have a set amount of parts you always start with like the older games.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: And then Mission/Opponent for the hidden ones.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: If you don't know where the part is from just use a - or a --.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Shop sounds best for 4/fA, at least.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Less of a headache.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Haha.

[Exorcet] 6:48 pm: You should post this in the thread.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Oh yah.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Good idea.

What about parts that can only be acquired through import? They are neither shop, mission nor starting parts. Do they even count as parts for the game?

For Example: Can you say the Moonlight blade is in Project Phantasma when there is no means to acquire it?

Edited by Peffse

You don't have to import to acquire parts outside of AC1-MoA. They're all unlockable in each game after MoA, as far as I know. For those that you do have to import to get, like the Sawa in PP/MoA, we'll just list them as "Import" on the main parts list. Then on the individual parts pages we'll be doing later on we can elaborate on exactly how the part is acquired.

Issue with AC4 parts list. Reg 1.6 and Reg 1.4 are both the "latest" in the US version of the game since the PS3 never got 1.5 or 1.6.

We are only going to use one set of stats for the parts list page. Which reg should be used?

I vote for 1.6. Older regs will be displayed in the individual part pages anyway, most stat changes between the two regs probably aren't visible through the basic stats (except gen EN output), and it's the true latest.

We should maybe but a warning on the AC4 page though.

[Niji] 6:45 pm: I like B's left aligned descriptions.

[Niji] 6:45 pm: And I think for AC4/fA.

[Niji] 6:45 pm: We should list the parts as "Shop" if you start with them or can buy them.

[Niji] 6:45 pm: Since you can start with numerous parts.

[Niji] 6:46 pm: And then the ones you can find in missions or earn can just be listed with the appropriate mission/enemy.

[Niji] 6:46 pm: They get unlocked in shop, yah?

[Exorcet] 6:47 pm: They're be a bit complicated to list otherwise since it depends on what starter AC you choose.

[Exorcet] 6:47 pm: Yeah.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: And I think those parts change according to what you started with or something.

[Exorcet] 6:47 pm: In the shop.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: Yah.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: Just call them "Shop" if you have to buy them.

[Exorcet] 6:47 pm: OK.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: I figure that'll be easiest.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: Default for the games that have a set amount of parts you always start with like the older games.

[Niji] 6:47 pm: And then Mission/Opponent for the hidden ones.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: If you don't know where the part is from just use a - or a --.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Shop sounds best for 4/fA, at least.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Less of a headache.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Haha.

[Exorcet] 6:48 pm: You should post this in the thread.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Oh yah.

[Niji] 6:48 pm: Good idea.

For AC4 specifically, GameFAQs has the unlockable part guide if you want to use that to get the preliminary info which we could just double check.

Byah~

I took the time to write a program that removes a tiny bit of the legwork with entering data into the parts list table.

It is a python file , so you will need to download python to use it.

Download Python here http://www.python.org/getit/releases/3.2/

After you have Python installed, click "IDLE (Python GUI)" from your start menu, and open this file

http://www.mediafire.com/?ls03dyka4l1fp4a

It will come up in a text file, since Python is an interpreter. If you are worried about viruses you can read the source code here and see that it doesn't contain anything malicious. Press F5 to execute it and follow the instructions.

Just in case it's confusing there, you basically

1. Enter the title

2. Enter column titles you want in the table

3. Enter each part stat, starting with the name

4. When you are done, press enter again

It will take all the information you typed in and format it into the table layout that I copied from the Wiki's Sandbox section. Basically, you won't have to bother with all the formatting because it's all been reduced to just pressing space and enter. Hope someone besides me finds this to be of value :o

Neat. I'll definitely DL this once I boot up the laptop.

Oh but looking at the sandbox reminds me. When we get around to doing individual part pages, is the format in the sandbox alright? I basically just lifted the format from armoredcore-wiki.net and modified it so it would work with our wiki code (though I doubt I could do it again now haha).

Not the one we're using for the parts pages right now, but that one that you used for the GAN01-SS-WB.

The thing is we're going to go from oldest to newest instead of newest to oldest for stats. It'll go NX/NB/LR and 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4/etc. Also, we won't list which one is the current one and I don't think we're gonna bother with listing whether the stat went up or down. We might, but that's not a concern for right now.

I've come across a bit of a problem when filling out some of the PS1 parts. The font renders both 0's and O's as the same thing. I can't tell if the new core in Project Phantasma is XXA_SO or XXA_S0. Researching online shows it written both ways by various sources. Which way should it be assumed? (I chose zero for now)

Yah, AC fonts can be harsh. The best thing to do is to try and figure out the naming convention they used. Somtimes other parts will share a naming convention and if they're using numbers or letters in that location you can figure out what they intended. Otherwise it's basically impossible. Either way, feel free to default to whichever you prefer and then we can correct them all later for specifics if we happen to figure it out.

Btw Peffse, I see you used the game spelling for the description of one of those leg sets. Along with a neat comment about it. If you find misspellings in the games descriptions about parts or arena opponents, etc, feel free to correct them. I would prefer that those kinds of misspellings stayed in the game and not on the wiki. Some things I think we're better off not copying to the T, haha.

Good old localization. I must have corrected like 20 descriptions in the LR wiki pages.

Hmm. Well, so far I've only corrected the descriptions. I don't know about actually changing the words they tried to use, though. I realize some of the descriptions are silly, but that's so common overall throughout the series that we'd have to rewrite many of the descriptions, I think. It's probably best to just stick to fixing their spelling and punctuation.

If they forgot spaces, periods, commas, etc, you can feel free to add those in (or remove extras) as well as fixing the spelling of words.

I remember getting into an argument with rachis about that-- so dope!

Btw I'm still adamantly against from software using 'hanger' instead of 'hangar,' even though it's officially hanger in the games, and there's concept art of the cores with weapons actually hanging from them.