Underrated Weapons

IronSoul

Okay so I had one of these topics back on the old forum for AC4, and I figured we all know the game enough now to have occasionally dug up a good gun that might be less popular than its more cookie counterparts (63 rifles, Raiden, 49ANSC, etc), and decided to make a topic for them. So yeah, parts that work for you that aren't whored, and why. Doesn't necessarily have to be weapons, but you should have an explanation for it being decent. I'll start:

Sirius

Type: Back Mount

Description: Hi Lasers have lost some popularity due to the alleged theory of them lagging a lot, though it has been argued that some of this lag is actually due to PA grazing which is less apparent due to poor attenuation. However, whichever the case may be, Sirius seems to have an excellent shot registry, and is good for a consistent 5-7K (I think leaning more towards seven). It's heavier and drains more than Acrux, but the damage is fairly comparable, and it lasts a lot longer.

Argyros/A

Type: Arm Part

Description: Usually this arm (and every other heavyweight arm) is beaten out by the exceptional offensive prowess of Hilbert, however, Argyros has some very nice defensive merits. It's shell defense is very good and its EN defense passable, which by itself probably wouldn't be of much use compared to Hilbert, but it has one other very good thing going for it: it's much lighter.

Lighter means that you can fit a better back mount (arm mounts usually suffering from poor precision), or you can fit them onto a heavy midweight for a good defense boost without sacrificing mobility as you would for Hilbert and other parts. Indeed, with a midweight leg set and Argyros arms, you could easily make an AC only slightly heavier than the average mid but with far better defense for its weight. Lower precision takes some getting used to, but a couple weapon swaps (ie: Altair for Avior) can make the change a lot easier, and provide a much better defense to weight ratio.

Your turn guys.

Edited by IronSoul

047ANNR, the second rifle on the parts list. A lot of people think it's trash, but it's always had a place on some of my designs I want a lightweight mid-range rifle on. The 051 model has low fire rate to kind of offset it's higher damage and is pretty heavy for a rifle, while the other comparable rifles lack velocity for mid-range, I think. Sure, there's rifles that do fine at mid-range and can also do much better up close (MR-R100R?), but none of those rifles do good enough to where what 047 offers is useless.

It's light, has great velocity, does standard damage, it works for me.

047ANNR, the second rifle on the parts list. A lot of people think it's trash, but it's always had a place on some of my designs I want a lightweight mid-range rifle on.

The thing is, though, that it lost what made it so good in AC4 and even past FA regulations--its melee ability. Before, it had some decent melee for a regular rifle (somewhere higher than MR-R100R and lower than RF-100). So add to it your aforementioned attributes and it was a wonderful rifle. But now, it has the same tracking mods as the 051ANNR which is pretty bad because it takes it out of its most useful close-mid range. At the 600+ ranges is where I find the two rifles' tracking to be the most steady and reliable. The 051ANNR is fine because it has quite some damage and the slow RoF allows it to last for a while. To me, the 047ANNR will run out of ammo too quickly and not do enough damage. If you try to close in, the hit percentage doesn't increase that much more because of the melee ability. MR-R100R or 063ANAR would be better alternatives, IMO.

ANYWHO

Pulse Weaponry~

Definitely not top tier, but I think it's good enough for high level casual play if paired with other weapons. No doubt the pulse shotgun can score some quick damage as a surprise.

Lol, Pulse guns. I'd say those are rated as trash because they are trash. If you're getting hit with pulse guns consistently, you need to put down your controller and stop playing.

Idk what you'd all consider the following as, but I'd say their underrated (at least on PS3) because I hardly ever see other people using them aside from me; Musselshell back launchers.

They do some kick ass damage when they hit, wreck PA almost the same as Dearborns, travel faster, have more ammo, weigh about the same as Dearborn02 and drain less (I think, I'd have to look the stats up). When I don't want to specifically equip a Dearborn launcher, this is what I will use, and often times I get much better results.

I'm glad someone pointed out Musselshell. That's a damn good part for jousting. I definitely think it beats Dearborn any day.

As for 47...I used to hate it, less so now, though it's a far cry from what was my favorite rifle in AC4. It's okay but it's not really worth the weight considering the 63ANAR or Labiata do everything pretty much better. There are those that say having Autosight off makes the low melee hurt less, which is possible, but in my experiences it feels noticeably less accurate that it was in 4 as well. Damn shame, 47ANNR was a rifle I had actually liked in 4. Made my already meh chipping game even worse.

Pulse Weaponry~

Definitely not top tier, but I think it's good enough for high level casual play if paired with other weapons. No doubt the pulse shotgun can score some quick damage as a surprise.

No. Pulse Shottie sure, but there's no way in hell that the other pulse guns can seriously work. Medler Z couldn't beat Ethos with an AC specifically designed for Gemma, (for those of you that have used Ethos, you know how bad that is, for those who haven't, see how far you get with 5000 EN Recovery). It kinda worked in 1.2 EN wise, but at that point CQ was so awful there was no chance.

From what little I can remember, Deneb and Spica make Gemma look good.

Also, Aliya/A might have some merits on the right AC. Some people speculate it tracks better, but one thing it definitely has going for it is the system recovery. Okay, not the most important stat most of the time, but here's something nice about it in this case. Aliya/A's recovery is so fast that after an AA blast you can almost instantly fire a shot with a full lock on, certainly before the AC can escape. Pair with a good nade launcher and you can really fuck up someone's AA game even if you get hit.

Sirius

Yeah, I think SIRIUS became very underrated when BECRUX (or ACRUX?) hit the scene. I'll take SIRIUS any day though, since it has better velocity and is pretty damn precise at decent ranges by FA's standards.

047ANNR was an AC4 favourite of mine, mixing a great hit rate and range options with decent fire intervals. FA seemed to make it a poor man's 051, which sucked immensely. Then the ANAR sort of made it the

of the lineup.

Back mounted radars. No shit, they are great in FA especially, since lightweights can move so far in an instant. Having something like JUDITH providing your radar can be more of a hindrance rather than help sometimes since the interval tends to give false feedback as to where the opponent really is. I have used it on my staple in all regs to allow me to play defensively more effectively. For low cost, functionality, and pimp'n style, you want to choose a back mounted radar!

Edited by Vivirtruvian

Yeah that's kinda true. It's about your only chance against ECM too. Without a back radar, that shit is hosed. Refresh is kinda nice too, especially for anything involving CQ or AA. I've had a few SNAFUs with AA especially due to a poor refresh on Hogire or something. Should try that on some of my rushers actually. It's not like I ever use four slots on my lightweights. Edited by IronSoul

Radars, yeah definitely. I usually reserve a slot for one on a hybrid or blader. My gunners though, I usually load them to the brim with firepower. That's not to say they wouldn't ever have a place there, but if I didn't tune my Radar Refresh up on them, then I'd have like 30 - 50 extra tunes laying around to do nothing with.

I'll toss out another missile launcher too: MP-O200. It's pretty much a non-homo version of MP-O203 since the tracking isn't retardedly good, but they still track pretty decently. Add to that they are pretty much invisible as they close in unless your right in front of the dude when they fire and you've got an added plus. They also drain 400 points less than the 203's and will end up earning you a lot less enmity from your peers. Of course, got to watch out about getting them blown up in your face, but that's pretty much a factor with most missiles in a competitive setting. You can spam 'em too, if your so inclined.

The MP-O200I is more or less the same shit in a different package, but for some reason they never end up getting me the same results the 200's give me.

CHEYENNE02-Just a spread missile unit. I hardly see people use it, but it really isn't bad at all. It's essential to use it with relations but it can hold its own, much better than SALINE05, might I add.

CG-R500-A back chaingun unit. I think I've only seen this weapon on someone else's AC one time. It's pretty damn awesome. Has good ammo, great damage, and it's a rapid fire weapon. Good to pair with a rifle if you don't want to use up the other arm with a MG.

Those are both goods ones I had forgotten to mention. For some more info, the Cheyenne02 tracks somewhat better than a saline in close range. How exactly, I'm not sure, even though the stats say they share the same level of performance, I always find myself hitting more with Cheyenne02.

CG-R500, that's superior to the XCG-B050 in just about every way, save for the fact you only fire one bullet after another, and not a shotgun-like spray of four.