The XX

Mom

Take an acoustic feel and throw in liberal atmospheric low-mid bass with some moody melodies, and you get The XX-- a small indie rock group from UK. I like their stuff a good bit, and can't wait for a second album. The perfect music for kicking back and relaxing.

Only a couple gripes, one would be soundstage. I prefer my music rather separated with a large stereo imaging, but most of their songs sits you right in the middle of the two vocalists, with not much distance to call for (although the instruments are very atmospheric). It's not bad technically wise, but a personal preference. The others would be somewhat weak endings at times, and a grainy quality to their songs that you'd hear from a vinyl, but the songs are very warm in general.

Edited by TMRaven

HIPSTERNOB SAYS:

i dont know if ~30mil views is considered indie

they sound nice tho

Just because a song is popular enough to get a shit ton of hits, doesn't mean it isn't indie. Indie is a genre of music, and by my standards, it's anything that I will never hear played on my local radio stations (which is all the best musik of course, hee hurrapsirna;dfurerenfioaehio).

On an unrelated note, I've heard of XX several times in the past but I've never gone out of my way to listen to one of their songs.

Nah noob's got a point. He's claiming they're a small indie band. The implication is they are a band that isn't well known. That's far from the truth though. They were all over the rock magazines when they first game out. 30 mil views lends weight to what noob said, too. Their first album got blowjobs from all the usual suspects. NME, Rolling Stone, etc.

I just asked him why he'd call them small, and he said it's because of the number of members. :S

Anyways, I haven't listened to them. They were really popular when they first got started, I haven't listened to them though so I can't give any kind of opinion on it.

Where do you live, and what stations are you listening to? These guys got plenty of airtime on all the rock stations where I live.

Yeah Indie at first wasn't a genre, but it's pretty quickly been forced into one.

If that were the case I would have said something more along the lines of small-time or big-time group. And yes, they are described as indie rock/pop, so that's what I'll be using to describe them as well. I would use the same to describe Ghostland. They are electronica/indie rock, and are in my book, a small group with only 2 members. Anyways, ranting about over diction is silly.

Where do you live, and what stations are you listening to? These guys got plenty of airtime on all the rock stations where I live.

Bumfuck, Iowa. We have one station, Channel Q, that plays alternative music, and it'll play an indie song once in a blue moon. Other than that, it's all Killers, Beastie Boys, Nirvana, and whatever is out that's new by more prominant bands.

As far as XX goes, I wasn't impressed. I was hoping for something that would hook my attention from the start, but none of them songs really did it for me. I find it impossible to like a song unless I hear it on the radio, as in I can't look up a song and like it. Has to be involuntary. I'm weird.

Edited by Jackson

Nobody likes hipsters and trying to be "indie" is more hipster than anything nowadays.

Fuck it, I listen to old shit.

I don't try to be indie. I just like listening to indie musik cause it fits my preferences. However, out of all the radio stations that I am subjected to, I listen to the Bus the most. Mostly classic rock and other hits from the 80s.