Exosuit Study

Nomrah

I've had this drawing sitting unfinished in my sketchbook for close to two years, so I decided to finish it up before another year went by. This drawing is a visualization of one of a series of exosuit's I've had been planning in my head for some time for a story of mine. It is by no means the final depiction of how I want things to look, a lot of it was designed and realized as I drew and this picture serves as a benchmark for design changes I might want to make in the future. Overall I'm very satisfied with how it turned out and I'm glad I finished it. More focus on definable structure and detail than lighting and shading for this one.

And yes, I know the face isn't finished. It's been like that since day one and I've grown fond of the way it is. The picture is a study of the suit, I would only find a fully realized face distracting at this point.

http://i.imgur.com/bbFoV.jpg

Edited by Nomrah

What's up with the ballet boots?

The legs of the suit are slightly longer than the legs of the man inside. The increased height is to compensate for the suits long equipment and to allow for a more advanced and more exaggerated joint at the ankle, much like the legs of a cat or dog http://en.wikipedia....iki/Digitigrade .

In my drawing the legs are very straight, but in action the bending of the joints would be more apparent. In the diagram below you can see where the actual human foot ends, at the moment his feet are bent with his twos pointing down. His feet end, and an artificial extension continues the rest of the way down to add length. Where I wrote "Suits Leg Joint" points to where his ankle is and where the suits joint is located.

The purpose to this is to add mobility to the traditionally stiff concept of exosuits. Normally exosuits legs are bulky, cumbersome and flatfooted, but I was aiming for a more agile and advanced take on a mechanized suit with the technology capable of performing more nimble and precise movements. A combination of the pilot and computer would help maintain balance. Advanced almost muscle like tendons exist in the suits legs which are strong, flexible and responsive to adjust to position and pressure.

http://i.imgur.com/BgWCJ.jpg

Edited by Nomrah

Why not just go for a tripedal setup then, that makes the most mechanical sense.

Yes, from a mechanical standpoint it would make more sense. Although what I worked with stems from a specific vision in my head, I wanted to preserve the style and look yet attempt to make sense of it in the process. The setup was primarily artistically driven and I did not want to stray too far from what I had originally imagined.

Edit: I did happen to come up with a tripedal setup for artillery suits though.

Edited by Nomrah

Tripedal = three legged.

Because triangles are the most geometrically stable platforms there are.

I mean in terms of designing an exosuit, would it be more like a literal armor suit like Nomrah's or would it be more like a full vehicle. I'm interested in seeing this artillary design he is referring to to give me a better idea.

I mean in terms of designing an exosuit, would it be more like a literal armor suit like Nomrah's or would it be more like a full vehicle. I'm interested in seeing this artillary design he is referring to to give me a better idea.

The idea I came up with a while back was on the lines of a prehensile stand on the back like you mentioned, instead of a full on three legged walker. The idea was for the suit to move into position with a high caliber weapon, the suit would then take on the tripedal setup in order to sustain the high levels of recoil upon firing. A three legged walker would be great, but I would find it more fitting for a full mobile suit rather than an exosuit. If I were to imagine it for an exosuit, the pilot would be in a sitting position with his two legs encroaching forward as the third artificial leg positioned on the back follows through with the movement.

I have another concept of a much lighter suit that I'm currently working on that allows the user to steadily advance forward while in a prone position. This is done with leg extensions and a second pair of legs located along the users midsection, they fold up nicely when not in use. Here's a drawing from my sketchbook from a few years back when I first came up with it.

http://i.imgur.com/MZmse.jpg

Your arrows need work. :(

The drawing is great though.

You're a hard man to please, I find them at least fair as far as mouse-work goes.

Edited by Nomrah

Ah so you do have both examples, I was thinking that it would work out similar to Crying Wolf's exosuit from Metal Gear Solid 4, except giving it three legs instead of four and of course some other design changes. (Needing to open up the suit in order to fire the weapon not exactly a good feature despite it being used for long range purposes).

• 3 months later...