Xbox 720

Magnus

It seems like they're going to pull a Sony two-fold and bastardize their console before it even comes out, as well as wander into the territory of Restricting Used Games:

http://kotaku.com/58...roduce-kinect-2

Off to a strong start for the next generation.

Edited by Obscure

I've heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their so-called Xbox 720.

Remember when Sony tried to do that with the PS3?

Microsoft sure as hell does not remember.

Shitstorm of massive proportions.

Edited by Artdeux

This idea is an example of looking at things from the wrong angle. I can think of a few examples where I, or someone I knew, picked up a used copy of that game everyone was playing a few months ago but we didn't have time for, only to end up buying the sequel (which there are plenty of, lately) immediately when it came out. That, or taking a game to a friends house, only to have them end up buying it because they enjoyed it. I'm not sure how it'll work out with "sharing" games like that, though.

Also, I'd place my bets on more people refusing to buy games/consoles because of the principles behind this, than people giving in and shelling out the $60 for a new game. That said, I wouldn't expect the numbers to be very high on either side.

We'll see what changes between reports and what actually happens, I guess.

Xbox already has rights for downlodable games tied to your gamertag, which can be downloaded to new xboxes of the website. A similar thing would be in place for disc games if having rights for them was forced. If anything, Microsoft is thorough.

I'm more worried about screwing over players, killing rental businesses and game sharing which would often encourage players to buy if they liked. And worst of all, Gamestop probably wouldn't buy used games anymore, which many gamers did in order to buy new games.

Edited by Obscure

How did you people let Pendragon win this topic? What the fuck is wrong with you?

I honestly don't even care about any of this. Used games are covered in cooties and illegal copies are always, always, ALWAYS viruses. If I buy a game used, I actually feel bad about it every time I play it, because it just looks like a piece of garbage. There's always this weird sort of cheese/dirt/glue stuff somewhere on the disc and/or case too. It's like having the movie tie-in reprinting of a novel you love. It just feels like a copout. I buy like two or three games a year; I might as well get copies that don't look like shit and haven't been jizzed all over.

I play so few games that I probably won't buy a 720 even if there is no PS4. If there is a PS4, I'm getting that, and waiting for Insomniac to become unretarded again, since now that AC is over they're the only company I really care about at the moment. The only thing I can think of at the moment that would make me buy a 720 would be an exclusive DSouls game or an exclusive non-shit Insomniac game.

The part of this that actually interests me most is the supposed new controller. I've always hated everything about the Xbox controller. By which I literally mean everything that I have noticed about it, I hate. It would be hard for a redesign to not be better, unless it was the Dreamcast controller.

lolkinect2

LS;

If the used games you're looking at have jizz on them, why do you still buy them? Gross, man.

I don't buy many games a year, either, but sometimes it's the only way to go. I picked up five games for my DS for like $40. Near mint. No jizz. At least three were out of production (most DS games have fairly limited production runs).

Games with disc formats are a little different. I'm always wary of scratches or defects, because I've never had good luck with used games on standard sized discs (as opposed to the Game Cube's mini-dics). Still worth the gamble sometimes.

My main concerns with this centre around social gaming, though.