Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown

Lygophilia

Instead of a retail disc, it's digitial download only for the XBL and PSN. A specifc date hasn't been given, but it's set to be released in the summer. Features are online multiplayer (8 player lobby), training mode (similar to Virtua Fighter 4 evolution tutorials), replays from versus (both online and offline play), customizable characters/items (apart of sold separate content), and License mode (challenges).

The game itself should be at a cheaper price, due to the age and many revisions in the 6 year period. Here are some videos from the community, if you are interested.

http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/316791/1

Edited by Lygophilia

I'm not sure it's a good thing that this is the 5th one and it reminds me of Tekken 2.

Why it isn't a good thing for a five version? Virtua Fighter for 19 years has been the game of choice by the Japanese from the Sega arcades. The issue is that it's a scarce case outside of Japan. So, perhaps this is not for you then?

I should remind you that Tekken was inspired by Virtua Fighter, so I don't see how it reminds you of it, since Namco needed Virtua Fighter's engine for their earlier games, Tekken 2 is one of them. And whatever copies which company took from one another further, over the years is nothing new, since all of them do that strategy to create their games. Nothing is original, after all.

Edited by Lygophilia

I didn't know Tekken was inspired by VF in the first place so kind of hard to be reminded of that. However, it does explain why I would think of Tekken when I saw those vids. Tekken 2 is a game I have played, unlike any of the VF games, hence my observation. As for the game being for me, I wouldn't know. I didn't say I didn't like what I saw. I simply commented on the dated appearance of it.

Thanks for the info. Shouldn't assume so much with so little though.

Edited by Rachis

I see. I thought that anyone who knew about both games at the time, should have known by now. It's not a big deal.

Anyway, I would say that Tekken has character personality with a storyline of cutscenes and more flashier, which is something that Virtua Fighter lacked on the tradional side of things. However, if you are into more of a yomi, guessing strategy, then you may like it.

Edited by Lygophilia

• 2 months later...

http://virtuafighter...topics/321763/1

It's been almost 1 year since Sega announced Final Showdown for consoles, and now we finally have a release date! The game is set for release on June 5th on PlayStation Network and June 6th on Xbox Live!

Read the press below for more details!

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON - May 14, 2012 - SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that the console release date and retail price for Virtua Fighter™ 5 Final Showdown. The stand-alone downloadable 3D fighting game is set to make its console debut on June 5 for PlayStation®Network and June 6 for Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown will be priced at $14.99/ £9.99/ AUD$18.25/ €12.99 for PSN and 1,200 Microsoft Points for XBLA.

Character customization DLC packs will be available immediately upon launch for all 19 fighters, with each character customization pack costing $4.99/ £3.59/ AUD$6.25/ €4.49 for PSN and 400 Microsoft Points for XBLA, and will contain 600-950 customization items. Two additional customization packs, consisting of nine characters’ worth of DLC items and the other with 10 characters’ worth, will also be available at launch for $14.99/ £9.99/ AUD$18.25/ €12.99 each on PSN and 1,200 Microsoft Points each on XBLA.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown brings the latest arcade version of the Virtua Fighter 5 series to consoles worldwide, adding two new characters—Virtua Fighter 3 favorite Taka-Arashi and newcomer Jean Kujo—and dynamic and interactive fighting arenas. Console-only features include a robust and detailed Training Mode, eight player Online Room Match Mode, and a match record feature to replay, save, and upload fights. Developed by AM2, the console version of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown will bring the storied franchise’s detailed balance, overhauled fighting mechanics, and extreme depth to new audiences and VF veterans alike in the acclaimed series’ best version yet.

If someone is interested...

Edited by Lygophilia

• 3 weeks later...

This is a tier list from the Arcadia Magazine

S: Akira, Jacky, Taka, Lion

A: Goh, Vanessa, Brad, Jean

B: Shun, Wolf

C: Lau, Aoi, Pai, Kage, Sarah, Blaze

D: Eileen, Lei-Fei, Jeffry

Not that it matter to me, but for someone that is curious about this kind of subject. The system itself is more balanced then other fighting games and the command confirmation is lower than most of the fighting games. If you are new and prefer more linear characters, then I may suggest Jacky, Pai, Lau, Sarah, and Kage to you. The character Jacky is more balanced from an offensive and defensive perspective. Regardless of all the revisions, it is still similar to the fourth Virtua Fighter, which is moreso that way since certain aspects from there were transferred over to the present version and it's more simple.

Edited by Lygophilia

Honestly I prefer Tekken's fighting mechanics, but I love me some Virtua Fighter. I'd actually pop in my original 5 and play it now if I had my ps3 on me.

...I really need to get around to doing that.

Available now. Search this in your psn store, if it is not added to the fighting genre section yet. Sega has released a Complete Edition, which contains the full game and all of character clothes and items. The cost is 30 dollars, instead of 45 dollars. However it is said to last 2 weeks from the discount, which will default to the full price with both of the bundles included after. The demo and the 15 dollar game should be there also. Edited by Lygophilia

• 11 months later...

I just bought this. It's on for $4.99 on PSN. $14.99 if you get the one with all the character customization stuff.

I've never really played VF before, but the inclusion of some of the series' characters in DOA5 got me interested. I don't know if I'll like it, but at the cost of a rental, it's worth a go. I did command training with Lei-Fei just to give it a test run, and it felt pretty comfortable.

That's honestly something that's never crossed my mind when playing a video game. I can see where you're coming from with it, though. For me, fighting games in particular are all about how they feel. I like a sense of rythm and impact.

Usually what turns me off from fighters is when there's wacky range attacks involved. It's one of the reasons I don't really enjoy Tekken.