Mechwarrior 3

wantfastcars

This game is SO much better in terms of attention to detail that so many other games I've played (Which is funny, because I have another game actually made by Attention To Detail, and it sucks) and on top of that, it doesn't require a hell of a PC to run and has pretty good graphics. I've had this game practically since release but have only now just begun to play it.

First off, the details. This is the only game I think I've ever played that pays attention to where you're hurt, where the enemy is hurt, and how that would affect movement. I. E. your fifty ton battlemech is shot in the knee, and it will limp. You shoot an enemy in the knee, and it will trip and fall over. You can fall over, too, which is interesting - the fall motion is not scripted. If you start falling, you can save yourself - just take a step back and you can steady your mech. Your mech will also react differently depending on where it's hit, and will recoil and rotate to the side you fire from. Lasers have unlimited ammo like they should, and generate a lot of heat. Weapon ammunition is fucking heavy, which is something that often isn't taken into consideration. You get shot too much in one arm, the arm will get blown off and you'll lose any weapons that were mounted there.

Second, the customization. While MechWarrior offers nowhere near the level of visual customization that Armored Core does, it still offeres a solid variety of mechs - ranging from super fast featherweights to ultra heavy mechs that are nigh impossible to kill - and an insane number of weapons. Now I understand that many weapons are reiterations of each other (such as large, medium, small, large extended range, medium extended range, and small extended range lasers, and a CLAN version of each of those) but for an old game it's still amazing. There are two types of missiles, long range and short, "Autocannons" which are basically burst-fire machine guns, and machine guns, as well as Gauss Rifles, Lasers, Pulse Lasers, and Particle Projection Cannons.

Third, the gameplay itself. When I played Armored Core, I was teated in the lap of luxury. Sure my misison reward had to pay fo my ammo and damage, but at least all my ammo came back for the next mission. MechWarrior, any armor or ammunition you use/lose must be scrounged from the wreckage of your fallen enemies, unless you wish to use solely lasers (which can work). After each mission, you can Allocate your salvage, picking and choosing what you want to keep and what you want to leave behind. It teaches you "the true meaning of survival," to quote a friend. Then there's the whole "MFB" or Mobile Field Base idea. You start the game with three. Each can hold 300 tons of weapons, ammo, and giant robot. Now the total 900 tons is a lot at first, but you can fill it surprisingly quickly.

All in all, MechWarrior 3 is an amazingly detailed game, that runs surprisingly easily and well for somethign so old.

Don't forget that if one of your MFBs are destroyed, that's it. You've lost 300 tons of salvage and storage, which could have been your all-powerful UltraAC20, or the super rare ammo for it.

While I loved 3, I still think Mechwarrior 2 was the best one.

Also, I didn't know you could stop a fall.

Edited by Hentai Maid

I wouldn't have thouht so either, I had the luck to be standing still and took a step back just to get away from the attacking Bushwhacker. And yeah, meant to add that. So you don't know which gearbwas in what MFB until one gets destroyed.... Anyway, is the ultra ac20 that ridiculously awesom? Because I have one, and what I THINK is a decent amount of ammo for it. Huh.

*sigh* I want Pirate's Moon Expansion, but BitTorrent is gay and doesn't work on my laptop so I can't torrent it. The only other one I got was a .zip file that didn't work because it tried to use a file on the MechWarrior 3 CD that didn't exist. Do you have any idea where I can get the Pirate's Moon expansion for <$30? Also, if I were to get the CD from, say, EBay, could I just install Pirate's Moon and run MW3 as normal, or would I have to run it through Pirate's Moon?

Edited by wantfastcars

I wouldn't have thouht so either, I had the luck to be standing still and took a step back just to get away from the attacking Bushwhacker. And yeah, meant to add that. So you don't know which gearbwas in what MFB until one gets destroyed.... Anyway, is the ultra ac20 that ridiculously awesom? Because I have one, and what I THINK is a decent amount of ammo for it. Huh.

*sigh* I want Pirate's Moon Expansion, but BitTorrent is gay and doesn't work on my laptop so I can't torrent it. The only other one I got was a .zip file that didn't work because it tried to use a file on the MechWarrior 3 CD that didn't exist. Do you have any idea where I can get the Pirate's Moon expansion for <$30? Also, if I were to get the CD from, say, EBay, could I just install Pirate's Moon and run MW3 as normal, or would I have to run it through Pirate's Moon?

The UAC20 is probably the most powerful short range weapon in MW3. It fires fast, each shot causes the enemy 'Mech to recoil with the hit, and its damage is focused on one part unlike the LBX. It's seriously cheap.

Pirate's Moon is an expansion, but has to be run sepearately. If you want to play PM, you need the PM disc. If you want to play MW3, you need the MW3 disc.

Edited by Hentai Maid

Yeah I figured that out XD. Anyway, I think I declare the Cauldron Born to be the greatest mech in the game. It's weight allows you to run it as an assault mech, or something faster with lighter weaapons, or one hell of a missile boat. Plus it looks kickass. It is 65 tons of pure badass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
wantfastcars Posted Today, 05:17 PM

Damn, IDK if my crappy old laptop can support 4. I've been told it's a miracle it's capable of running 3...

Haha, that's what alot of people say about me being able to run MGE for Morrowind with the graphics card i have.