Mortal Kombat Rebirth

Gay Uncle

He was always trying to resurrect his people by blindly following an authority figure that had the power to.

He got used a lot.

Also, he came clean out of Onaga's body by.. uh.. what'shisfaceidon'tremember, but Reptile was still alive and was starting to break continuity in Shaolin Monks by not being a lizard anymore.

Reptile always had cannibalistic tendencies due to the fact that he is a cannibal. His alignment in the tournament was due to him being a slave to the likes of Kahn etc. Whether or not he was fighting for their cause or not probably didn't dictate whether he ate people's heads.

but Reptile was still alive and was starting to break continuity in Shaolin Monks by not being a lizard anymore.

Shaolin Monks was pretty much the story of MKII. It was meant to be a bridge between MKI and MKII, but since you go on to defeat Kintaro and Shao Kahn, it might as well be MKII. At this time Reptile was less reptilian (supposedly he was evolving throughout the story).

The only way he breaks continuity is by actually being more of a lizard than he was in MKII and III originally.

Edited by Vivirtruvian

I am so fucking sold on this. I would've paid the eight bucks just to see the trailer. I've never been a HUGE Mortal Kombat fan, but I do find the older 2D games tolerable. I must watch this movie. I'll put money down that this film will be the undeniable proof that fighting games can translate into movies as long as the filmmakers actually have even the SMALLEST understanding of their source material.

Also, Mortal Kombat is educational (NSFW-Gross):

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8765/picture1ih.png
Edited by Godzilla
Added Spoiler tags due to NSFW nature.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Scorpion/Sub Zero episode is seriously the best thing to come of the series so far and your opinions can suck a dick.

The first episode started out strong, other than Sonya not being nearly young and hot enough. I guess it would fit that someone of her rank would have to be old enough to be, well, appropriately seasoned.

Michael Jai White fucking slays Jax, that just needed to be said. Black Dynamite makes Mortal Kombat his bitch. I thought this in the movie pitch, but even in the two episodes he starred in, he was a badass.

Baraka looked kind of dumb, but it's a free web series. I'm sure they'd have just used some crazy CG shit for Baraka if they had the time and money, but I doubt the budget covered that kind of pomp and circumstance.

The Johnny Cage episode was alright, but it felt like the setup for a longer subplot that we'll never get to see. Still, MK Legacy is ostensibly just a chance to show off what the series could do with a real movie deal and gather some attention from the fanbase, and to that end, I think the aim is to use this as the vantage point for a big-budget movie deal.

Shao Kahn was disappointing as fuck, no matter how you slice it. I seriously had no idea it was Shao Kahn until they referred to him as such. Free web series or not, Shao Kahn is the sort of character that demands a perfect portrayal. If you couldn't get the most towering, fearsome human being on the planet (that's still capable of a decent acting performance, anyway), you'd may as well just shelve him and leave him with a cryptic off-screen presence instead. Other than that, the Kitana/Mileena episodes had a decent premise, but it was admittedly pretty underwhelming.

The Raiden episode was fucking pointless, and it was just so scatterbrained that I didn't know what to think. I will never understand what people like about this. The fight scene with the tasing was fucking awesome and somewhat made up for the plot direction being all over the place, but let's think about this: He's a god. He's a fucking god, and he's trapped in a mental facility? If they wanted to take the convincing mental trauma approach, they shouldn't have shown him making a giant fucking crater in the facility grounds, because if you just cut that whole segment from the episode, you'd be left thinking "Wow, this guy is crazy, I wonder if he's really a god or some other kind of fucked up?" I'm dictating well past the point with this, but you get me: It was silly. He dicks around in a mental institution, gets a few lobotomies, reforms somewhere else to try it all again. Ultimately, everything leading up to him appearing in Chinatown and grabbing a dude's coolie hat amounted to nothing, and that's what bothers me.

The Scorpion and Sub Zero episodes were kind of up and down, but overall, I was pretty pleased with them. I do think the ending was a tad stupid, what with SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER Quan Chi being a shapeshifter when he's never been anything of the sort in the games. Shang Tsung was standing right there with him; why the fuck didn't they just make him pose as Sub Zero instead? This doesn't even seem sensible to me. ENDSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

Anyway, I'm a little torn on the new costume designs. I really don't know what's going on with the white-on-blue shit Subs has going on, and his mask looks a tad silly, but I'm sure that's another case of budget constraints taking hold (I attribute the cheesy fire effects to this as well). Scorpion's is actually a really cool concept, what with the more authentic throwbacks to feudal Japan, but I feel like the execution was a tad lacking. I really don't know why they picked a dark green mask instead of like, black or something, because the color really clashes with the yellow. Still, Ian Anthony Dale made for a pretty badass Scorpion, though I have to admit he played it up better in the movie pitch when he was still rocking the facial hair. This is so unbelievably gay of me to be nitpicking over this, but the fact stands. Independent of all this, the fight scene was seriously fucking awesome, and I kind of giggled at Scorpion screaming GET OVER HERE in Japanese. It was funny in an ironic sort of way, but still convincing enough that I can appreciate it for what it is.

I definitely have mixed feelings about MK Legacy, but all in all, I've enjoyed it. For being a free web series, it's shot surprisingly well and the fight scenes look legit as fuck. Neither of the two full-length movies had fight choreography that even compares to this, and those actually had a sizable budget to work with (...Well, the first movie did). Sure, MKA was a giant flop and I'm wasting my breath in contrasting with it, but I loved the first movie when I was a kid and honestly, it's still a pretty good movie by today's standards. It's nineties as fuck, but it does a good job of representing the characters without being too far up its own ass, and that's an increasingly rare quality in movie adaptations of games. ANYWAY, all that's left now is the Cyrax/Sektor episode this following week, and from the short clip of them in the pre-release teaser, they actually look really well done. I can't wait to see where they go with it.

Edited by Altaire

The better question to ask of the Raiden episode is 'why did nobody at least think anything of the fact this dude is leaking blue goo from every orifice?'

There's also this. I'm sure this is justified easily enough, but the problem is that they just... Didn't. There was no elaboration on why no fucks were given about the fact that Raiden has fluorescent blue blood and is wholly unaffected by a series of lobotomies.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

lol I forgot all about this trailer. When is this going to come out?

How is Johnny Cage an undercover cop when he was formerly an action hero? So the criminals are just going to let the movie start into their ranks lol that part makes no sense.

And yeah Baraka being a doctor who suddenly gets UFC raw is like wtf.

At least this one is a bit more dark so its a change of pace. MK2 the movie sucked balls in my opinion. 1 was ok though at the time.