Mortal Kombat 9

Lenin

Well, here's the thing: They linked to a picture of a blue slush as well. They linked to a picture of literal fucking ice, all flavored and blue-like. Hopefully, this is some kind of indication that we're getting something for ONE of the Sub Zeroes. We can keep our fingers crossed, I guess.

I'm subbed to Tom Brady on Youtube man, I saw the 73%. The thing is, Brady is so sure it it's going to get patched that I wouldn't put any stock in it. His 55%, unfortunately, is probably here to stay. I guess I shouldn't bitch too much because I play Cyrax, but I have to admit it's a little steep.

Also, I played some scrub from GFAQs in a bunch of recorded sets tonight, which will be going up tomorrow afternoon. Details here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/961032-mortal-kombat/59726749

Just uh, read my posts, I guess.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here's the thing: They linked to a picture of a blue slush as well. They linked to a picture of literal fucking ice, all flavored and blue-like. Hopefully, this is some kind of indication that we're getting something for ONE of the Sub Zeroes. We can keep our fingers crossed, I guess.

I don't follow twitter feeds or anything like that. I was unaware of that. Like I said, I really am down with whatever. Too bad it wasn't a blue snow cone with a crudely drawn robot on it.

I'm subbed to Tom Brady on Youtube man, I saw the 73%. The thing is, Brady is so sure it it's going to get patched that I wouldn't put any stock in it. His 55%, unfortunately, is probably here to stay. I guess I shouldn't bitch too much because I play Cyrax, but I have to admit it's a little steep.

Yeah, it's definitely going to get patched out along with some other bullshit probably a month after the last DLC character is released. But right now, why do 55% when you can do 73%? It's in the game right now, which makes it legit in and of itself. Make some bitches cry with it.

As far as his 55% goes, I'm honestly totally okay with that since he has shit for meterless damage options outside of the corner since the midscreen/old school bomb trap only works if you're playing against someone with FEMA-grade reaction times. I wouldn't count on that damage going away until they make the command grab usable again.

Also, I played some scrub from GFAQs in a bunch of recorded sets tonight, which will be going up tomorrow afternoon. Details here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/961032-mortal-kombat/59726749

Just uh, read my posts, I guess.

Will check it out.

EDIT: EL OH TO THE MOTHERFUCKING EL at that human Sektor shit. To the motherfucking EL. Especially in the face of the NO X-RAY code. Jesus.

I can't wait to see the footage.

I also did that whole redownload thing with the skins and it still didn't help me either. Glad I'm not the only one. Of course Bozart or whatever his name was probably still had the old skins pack and was too goddamn stupid to realize what was going on, then again, if he did he would've just accused the game of being too reliant on patches and refused to play it unless it disables them.

EDIT 2: They're retweeting this shit from a while back. See: giant hint. See also: fail. See again: Lenin muh'fuckin' called it.

Goddamn that is soooooo fucking lame. What a waste. If it weren't for the fact these come with a new character, I wouldn't download them either. Booooo.

Edited by Lenin

...Who the fuck SERIOUSLY wants a Stryker alt? It's literally the same goddamn thing he has in MK9, just worse. Goddamn do I ever hope this just a funny coincidence. Video's still not up, by the way, but I wasn't expecting it to be up right this instant. Dill told me he was getting off work at around noon my time, and it's quarter to four now. It shouldn't be too much longer.

Also, yeah, Botzart is a special sort of individual. I'm pretty sure he's like Magnus in that he gets easily irritated, the counter-trolls for attention. As sad as it is, he's a lot better at it than Magnus. Now, the really funny part is this shit:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/961032-mort...26749/663702943

This kid comes in and gets defensive because I said I don't give a fuck if he thinks the no X-ray condition is stupid, on the basis that he wasn't accusing me of proposing it. Apollo chimes in with him and suggests I can't read, oh so passive-aggressively.

...I explicitly stated that it was my condition IN the post, all four lines of it that no self-respecting individual should even be able to misinterpret. I'm telling you man, GFAQs is so much more enjoyable if you just treat it like a dark comedy.

Dark comedies are usually good, though. GameFAQs is a goddamn cesspit in every way imaginable. The same comments I made about Street Fighter earlier in this thread apply equally to that website. It's just the springs-eternal AIDS fountain of the world.

Can you post the vids here when they're up so I don't have to go back there?

And nobody wants a Stryker alt. There are some diehards that want a Sonya alt and I understand that. Sonya's very underrated, I'm cool with a classic for her. Stryker just fucking sucks though; he's like a big rolling ball of mediocrity and boring. I don't know why they'd waste everybody's time creating content for characters three people in the world play. But considering it's free shit I don't really see how complaints about this have much of a leg to stand on.

Aside from the argument that MOTHERFUCKING STRYKER gets THREE costumes before my main even has two. That's really fucking sad. Half completed Cyborg Kuai Liang would look soooooo awesome. But I don't really like the default robot costumes in this game aside from Sektor's. So Beetleborgish.

Edited by Lenin

Honestly, I kind of like Stryker's MK9 representation, for uh... The first time ever. The issue is that his MK3 alt is barely any fucking different, and I've seen two fucking people ever that actually want it. If we get Stryker and Sonya, I almost want to find a way not to download the costumes and still get Rain. Somehow.

I'll post the videos here when they're up, yeah. Botzart closed his thread out of butthurt, anyway. He tends to do that.

Honestly, I kind of like Stryker's MK9 representation, for uh... The first time ever. The issue is that his MK3 alt is barely any fucking different, and I've seen two fucking people ever that actually want it. If we get Stryker and Sonya, I almost want to find a way not to download the costumes and still get Rain. Somehow.

Exactly. Fucking exactly.

I still kinda want classic Kabal. They should get on that.

Calling it now though, classic costumes with the mystery character will be Liu Kang/Kung Lao, and EVERYONE will download that compatibility pack.

I still KINDA have a hunch that the last costume will be two palette swaps as well, provided this one ISN'T going to have fucking Stryker of all people, but Liu Kang and Kung Lao seems pretty likely. To be honest, I'd probably be more inclined to play Kung Lao if he had his MK3 outfit. Hell, I really liked his MKDA outfit; I'd DEFINITELY pick him up if he had that.

...Now, if a pre-patched Kung Lao comes out and a pre-patched Sub Zero doesn't, mark my fucking words: I will hold off on that compatability pack until it's patched. I am not fighting pre-patched Kung Lao, no fucking way. Of course, if it's Cyber Smoke, I'll eat my words in short order. Nothing could stop me from downloading that post-fucking-haste.

I still KINDA have a hunch that the last costume will be two palette swaps as well, provided this one ISN'T going to have fucking Stryker of all people, but Liu Kang and Kung Lao seems pretty likely. To be honest, I'd probably be more inclined to play Kung Lao if he had his MK3 outfit. Hell, I really liked his MKDA outfit; I'd DEFINITELY pick him up if he had that.

...Now, if a pre-patched Kung Lao comes out and a pre-patched Sub Zero doesn't, mark my fucking words: I will hold off on that compatability pack until it's patched. I am not fighting pre-patched Kung Lao, no fucking way. Of course, if it's Cyber Smoke, I'll eat my words in short order. Nothing could stop me from downloading that post-fucking-haste.

The costumes ignore only the most recent patch, not hotfixes. Most of what Kung Lao ate in nerfs was via the hotfixes so that won't be a real issue. Admittedly, he'd still have the hat loop and the infinite... but those went so unused I've only seen them in videos made specifically to demonstrate them.

If it were up to me, though, after the male and female ninjas got their classic costumes I would've focused on bringing the fan-favorite 3D era costumes over.

Honestly, if I could pick any costume, I want Sub-Zero to get this:

http://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/SubZero.jpg

Because he looks like a fucking cryomancing Galvatron.

Dude, I've been pulling for that fucking outfit since I started maining Subs. It's easily the best look he's ever had, and it was the only one where he really stood out from the other ninjas. Of course, it doesn't really stand out from Shredder, but whatever. The important thing is, he looked just different enough to stand out from Scorpion and Ermac, but not so different that he didn't look like Sub Zero. He still has Sub's style going on, and it's not such a drastic overhaul that you're unsure if this is even the same fucking character (I'm looking at you, Reptile).

I think we need to just make 1000 Twitter accounts each and spam Boon until he puts it in the game. Granted, if he gets a UMK3 ninja outfit, that'll tie me over for a damn long time. I couldn't give less of a fuck for his maskless MK3 look, but the UMK3 ninjas were the shit.

MK3 ninja costumes are always the default in my mind.

Unmasked Sub-Zero should be used for CSZ's alt, fucking seriously. It'd be godly. Think Jax, but more cybernetic, with ice powers and dive kicks. Or like Darth Vader at the end of RotJ. They even have the same busted grill.

Win.

Edited by Lenin

He's actually not nearly as bad as I thought he was going to be. But still pretty awful, especially with Kitana and Nightwolf. I'll shit my pants the day I see a Nightwolf player actually bother with a combo. As for his general play, just fuck me. I usually have to go... well, not very far online to see that kind of inability to adapt to a situation. Good matches dude. I was entertained.

Out of curiosity (and yes, I know this doesn't mean shit) but what's your win/loss? I can't predict the actual number of wins and losses, but judging from the video I'd say your ratio is probably somewhere in the 1.50-1.75 range. Maybe bumping up against 2.00? But I might be selling you severely short just because of how you had to fight an opponent like that.

We gotta play some games at some point, have a battle of the CSZs. I don't throw out my gamertag just anywhere on the internet, so I'll add you if you're up for it.

Edited by Lenin

He's actually not nearly as bad as I thought he was going to be. But still pretty awful, especially with Kitana and Nightwolf. I'll shit my pants the day I see a Nightwolf player actually bother with a combo. As for his general play, just fuck me. I usually have to go... well, not very far online to see that kind of inability to adapt to a situation. Good matches dude. I was entertained.

Out of curiosity (and yes, I know this doesn't mean shit) but what's your win/loss? I can't predict the actual number of wins and losses, but judging from the video I'd say your ratio is probably somewhere in the 1.50-1.75 range. Maybe bumping up against 2.00? But I might be selling you severely short just because of how you had to fight an opponent like that.

We gotta play some games at some point, have a battle of the CSZs. I don't throw out my gamertag just anywhere on the internet, so I'll add you if you're up for it.

Yeah, this is definitely not the best measure of my skill. I was really tense because I was so worried he might ACTUALLY have gotten good and I'd look like a retard for all to see. The biggest issue I have with kids like this is the holy fuck random style of play. Scrubs man, I do worse against them than I do against GOOD players. If you treat them like a smart player, you get blown up. I can just remember the last real set, where I kept thinking "Would he really wakeup teleport that many times in a row? Naw, even he's not that stupid". Apparently, I gave him too much credit.

I really hate to use this excuse, but it's so easy to overestimate scrubs. You try to play as you would against a smart player, because you think "Oh, it's cool, I can give him these openings because a smart player wouldn't even try to take a stupid risk like that". Ironically, that's what gets you. I swear, those are the only losses I really hold in my chest: The ones where you tried to play too smart for the dumb fuck you were matched up with. Feels bad, man.

My ratio is just under 2.00, I think. I used to be pretty concerned with it, but honestly, I actively seek out people that I know to be as good as I am or better. I must've thrown twenty losses at Krebs (the guy who beat Tom Brady 3-1 in CEO casuals) just trying to adjust to his play, and I probably won 7 or 8 out of those. I'm just not worried about my record anymore, really. The way I see it, I've improved so, so much more since I started playing with the big dogs. I can't remember the last time I played a really good player I couldn't square with; even when I do lose, it's usually not by much, and I'll be DAMNED if I don't drag it to the third round. All in all, it's working wonders for me. If the tradeoff is that my record is going to go to shit, so be it: I'd love for all the dumbfuck boosters with superficial 4.0 records to challenge me for an easy win.

I actually thought you were on PSN, so I wouldn't have ever thought to ask. I'm down, and uh, I guess my GT should go without saying now. Just send me a message with your GT or something so I know it's you, because I get a lot of randoms.

Anyway, my training program for this game has been attempting to annihilate anyone who gets in front of me. Haha. I stopped caring about my win/loss a long time ago too, for a couple of reasons:

1) I don't play ranked because, the way I see it, doing so is to take online play seriously. And who can really brag about a player match win/loss record? Plus, if it's anything like ranked matches in every other fighter, I can't do it because I get soooo fucking sick of seeing Kung Lao.

2) Despite my win/loss, I'm actually pretty sure I'm garbage at this game anyway. Hahaha.

I'm probably going to have to start playing Ranked anyway because my player match win/loss is causing about 95% of the people I come across to just automatically decline me. And that's getting extremely fucking annoying. Especially considering my horrible luck in rooms. Every KotH party lags like a motherfucker and everyone who isn't doing anything is always "unavailable" or I keep getting challenged to tag matches, and honestly, fuck that.

Edited by Lenin

Yup, that's why I tried playing ranked: People constantly avoid me. My record isn't even THAT good, but I guess they assume it's good enough to pose a threat to their precious ratio. I almost hope I end up with more losses than wins at this rate, because at least then I won't have trouble finding a game.

The issue with ranked is that I can just never. Get. In. I try to find a game, and I never get one. I'm guessing the issue is that it tries to pair me with new players that just aren't there. I might just keep at it long enough to see if it'll finally pair me up with people more consistently, but honestly, I just don't have the patience for this shit right now. Thankfully, I spend most of my time headhunting players I've heard good things about or getting KotHs going with my friends. Most of the people I play with are well above average, so they're always good practice. Milky Situation's Reptile is fucking Chris G-tier.

Honestly, I love doing tag if it's some guy with a guest. For one, tag kind of amuses me anyway, and there's considerably lower risk of gay 100% combos if it's two separate people. Two, if one of them has a headset, you can guarantee that there will be bitching in the background. Fuck, it NEVER gets old.

Yup, that's why I tried playing ranked: People constantly avoid me. My record isn't even THAT good, but I guess they assume it's good enough to pose a threat to their precious ratio. I almost hope I end up with more losses than wins at this rate, because at least then I won't have trouble finding a game.

The issue with ranked is that I can just never. Get. In. I try to find a game, and I never get one. I'm guessing the issue is that it tries to pair me with new players that just aren't there. I might just keep at it long enough to see if it'll finally pair me up with people more consistently, but honestly, I just don't have the patience for this shit right now. Thankfully, I spend most of my time headhunting players I've heard good things about or getting KotHs going with my friends. Most of the people I play with are well above average, so they're always good practice. Milky Situation's Reptile is fucking Chris G-tier.

Honestly, I love doing tag if it's some guy with a guest. For one, tag kind of amuses me anyway, and there's considerably lower risk of gay 100% combos if it's two separate people. Two, if one of them has a headset, you can guarantee that there will be bitching in the background. Fuck, it NEVER gets old.

Exactly, Ranked matches absolutely do not happen for me either, it's like nobody exists there. And I'd definitely play more tag matches if I had somebody near me who played too so it's like like Marvel Kombat. But I don't. I wish it allowed you to parter up with a buddy over XBL and go for it. I actually can't believe it doesn't have that feature.

Well, on one hand, I think that's due to potential lag issues. On the other hand... Is having four people in one match really any different from having eight people in a KotH?

At any rate, an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9 is all but guaranteed at this point, which is presumably how NRS is going to address a lot of the shit they've been called on. As a lot of people have been saying, MK9 is basically their first real attempt to make a competitive fighter, so you can't expect them to get everything right on the first try. Because of that, a UMK9 seems likely, as it gives them time to gather fan input on what they need to change and address it in the expanded edition. Factor in that it'd be cheaper to make a UMK9 than it would to make an MK10, and the obvious nostalgic appeal of a throwback to UMK3. QED, there's no reason for NRS not to release a UMK9 at some point.

I felt really sloppy. I'm mostly satisfied with how I played, but ugh, I was so tense. I've never had any difficulty stomping him before, but I had that lingering fear that maybe something would go wrong. Maybe he somehow got way better. Maybe I'd have an off day and play like total ass (It's happened before, though thankfully I was just playing some friends). Between that and the randomly dropped button inputs, I felt like I wasn't playing very... Tight.

Now, the last Noob set was really strong, I felt. I'm pretty satisfied with the turnout there, other than the botched crossup near the end. I'll be playing another guy on sunday who is reportedly not a total scrub bitch (even if he's such an unfunny d-bag that I find it hard to take him seriously), so that one should be a lot more eventful. I might even be getting a guy with an HDPVR to record that one!

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and NetherRealm Studios present an all-new video introducing players to the latest DLC warrior, Rain, a power-hungry fighter who will stop at nothing to get what he wants. The third of four new downloadable warriors, Rain will be available on Microsoft Xbox LIVE for 400 Microsoft Points or $4.99 on PlayStation Network starting on July 19th. Rain will be available on the same date for users who have purchased the Microsoft Season Pass. Also releasing on that date will be a free compatibility pack featuring two klassic skins – Mortal Kombat 2-inspired Jade and Kitana.

After giving you MK3 costumes for Jade and Kitana, we now give you... the same basic costumes for them all over again.

Totally awesome that no one will have this compatibility pack. I sure am looking forward to never playing Rain.

EDIT:

Female ninjas + four cup sizes up. ...They look a lot better in the faces, but this is a bullshit piece of DLC. Sure it's free, but the awesomeness/suckitude of this compatibility pack determines how often I will be able to use content that I motherfucking pay for. I don't know exactly what NRS is doing to me here, but they could at least buy me dinner first.

EDIT 2:

Well, we got a no on Shinnok, so that's kind of a bummer: http://twitter.com/#!/noobde/status/92470584281280512

But we also got a no on Fujin which makes me smile: http://twitter.com/#!/noobde/status/92471755926536193

Then there's this:

That's some really fucking legit looking artwork if it's a hoax. If it's real, then that explains the whole "mystery" thing they've been going for. At this point, with all the hype that's been surrounding the mystery character, it would have to be someone new. Anyone else would just be a total letdown, y'know?

Like I've said before, I don't care who it is, and I really want Frost, but that Riddick looking motherfucker is kinda awesome.

Edited by Lenin