Mortal Kombat 9

Lenin

Boon is a smartass, though. He likes to troll the community just to lead people on and get a reaction out of them (I'm not giving him shit for this, I usually get a kick out of it). When he says Fujin isn't in the game, he's right, but that doesn't mean he WON'T be in the game. If Fujin is in the works for DLC, I'll bet this is what he's getting at. Hell, even when he says "come back in a year and tell me Fujin is in the game", it's entirely possible he's saying that because... Well, Fujin WILL be in the game by then. Like, don't hold me to any of this because it's just a vague possibility, but I really wouldn't put it past Boon. That said, I could not give less of a fuck about Fujin and Boon may very well have just ruled him out. It's just, well, you can really never tell with Boon.

I kind of lol'd at the Tanya comment, but the backstory there is that she was in a list of DLC characters Boon was considering (I think I brought this up earlier in the thread). I'll bet you that if anything, based on the "u r good", he's just implying that he "found" Tanya in the background of the arena. Basically, there's some kind of smartassed humor underlining everything Boon says, you just need to look harder for it at some times than others. When someone tweeted him a link to the alleged 360 exclusives, including Puzzle Kombat from MK6 and the Pit III stage, he responded with a Youtube link to a Fleetwood Mac song, from the album "Rumors". It took me awhile to even catch the album name.

Brady playtested Skarlet, IIRC. I imagine he'll playtest Kenshi as well, and it would make sense given that he has the details on how he'll play before there's even a shred of coverage on him. Don't hold me to any of this, mind you. I agree that Frost might be cool just because I already rock the shit with both of the other Sub Zeroes, so I'd probably take to Slut Zero too. I wasn't too impressed with her in MKDA, but then, they're bound to give her some new moves to round out her arsenal. They sure did with Cyrax and Sektor. In either case, I wasn't really debunking Frost because I'm so sure she won't be in the game, I just thought it was ridiculous how so many people were convinced she's on the way when we have no reason to assume she's on the way. Yeah, she's in a background, big fucking whoop. Taven and Daegon are in a background too, but you'll see Bill fucking Clinton as DLC before you see either of those cumrags. Interestingly enough, I actually half-suspect Reiko as an eventual inclusion, even if I wouldn't bank on it. I actually found out that when Sub Zero is getting kidnapped by the asshole patrol, you can hear Shang announcing that Reiko vs. Kenshi will be the next fight in the tournament. I don't see that as reason enough to assume they're just DYING for their chance to show off Reiko, but it's something to think about and even at face value, it's a pretty cool reference.

If Cyber Smoke isn't a separate character, I'm going to be so pissed. I can't see why he wouldn't be, but I was just so impressed with all three of the cyborgs. Cyber Sub is like the perfect bastardization of Cyrax and Sub Zero; he has just enough of both to draw parallels but still enough of himself to be a completely different beast. I figured it'd only make sense for Cyber Smoke to be the bastardization of Sektor and Smoke, which would be an especially nice fit when you consider that MK3 Smoke borrowed a lot of shit from Sektor. More than anything, I just really like what MK9 did with the cyborgs. They all look unique enough without deviating from the form, they still feel like their original incarnations and all three of them have fucking oodles of depth (well, less so Sektor, but he's still pretty neat). All I want now is a grey one to complete the set. Hell, I'd even like to see some completely new cyborgs, as MK9 still lacks "new" characters and that'd be a safe way to get them out. They're doing it with Skarlet, so why not do it with some of the other classic fallbacks? After what happened with MK4 and especially MK5, you can imagine I'm not too optimistic about some really "fresh" characters, so hey, more of the same but different would work for me. FUCK YEAH PURPLE CYBORG WITH LASERS OR SOME SHIT.

Also, the patch is out tonight. A bunch of PS3 players are reporting it, though I got nothing on the 360 side when I tried it. Brady says MS is still validating it, and they're usually slower on the draw with that than Sony is because they're Microsoft.

Also also, if you've never actually listened to the guy on the PA in the subway stage, listen to him. It is seriously the best shit ever.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHAH holy shit, I was lurking Boon's twitter (OF ALL THE THINGS TO DO ON A FRIDAY NIGHT) to find the comments you were talking about. I came across this:

RT @crankycraig @noobde I request Kabuki Joe to enter the MK universe.

Noobde: Kabuki No.

Christ, I lost my shit laughing at this.

Dude, Ed Boon has always been a pretty awesome human being in general.

He's like Ono from Capcom if he were worth the oxygen that keeps him alive.

EDIT: AFAIK right now, the patch did some things not in the notes... apparently Ermac lost 2,2,Lift as a cancel and now it's a link. Which doesn't bother me too much even as a guy who really enjoys playing him some Ermac. I'm interested to see more surprises...

Edited by Lenin

Yeah, Boon is the shit. It's kind of neat to me just because I can remember knowing who Ed Boon was from magazine interviews and the like when I was five or six years old, and now you can tweet him shit. It's crazy to look at all that in retrospect now. He's usually been pretty cool about giving the fanbase what they want and now he's taking notes on it, so I think that'll really help the game.

...That, and it's just fun to watch him fuck with people in his responses.

It's 5:30 AM and I'm only just now realizing that Sonya is fucking amazing. That's embarrassing.

Her b2,1,f2 string is obnoxious for me since I'm not really used to having to hit confirm in my strings with this game. But I should have the hang of her pretty soon. She plays like fragments of Sindel and Smoke. Already figured out two anywhere-on-the-screen 30%+ combos after... ten minutes? So yeah, definitely feels like Smoke...

Need to play around some in the corner with her. This is fun shit.

EDIT: Apparently the patch is causing all kinds of trouble for PS3 users. Infinite restarting, inability to rematch players online, broken and desyncing KOTH, hearing rumors of people having their drives wiped or something. Microshaft can keep it for approval for as long as it takes as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Lenin

I've been hearing about a lot of issues with the patch, yeah. I'm somewhat thankful that MS is holding out on it, because NRS clearly shit the bed on this one. Hopefully, it's something minor that they overlooked, and not "Welp our completely redesigned netcode is even more fucked, please wait six months for another patch".

This netcode fix really needs to fucking happen, though. I am so sick of dropping combos or losing whole inputs in the lag. I tried to do a slide earlier, and the entire motion got lost in the lag. I wound up just standing there and doing literally nothing for about two seconds. It's bearable most of the time, but when it happens in a really close match and I do a low jab just because the slide motion for an ice clone didn't register, I get pretty pissed.

Welcome to my world.

Just about every CoD players knows the feeling, taking well aims shots -> lag spike -> miss -> buttmad.

You say that like it isn't my world too.

It wasn't even the case in COD4, for the most part, or even MW2. It's really just Treyarch's games that have ass for netcode, and that's largely why I'm looking forward to MW3 so much. It'll be nice not having to empty a clip into a guy, get dropped by him and watch a killcam where you apparently never shot.

I've been hearing about a lot of issues with the patch, yeah. I'm somewhat thankful that MS is holding out on it, because NRS clearly shit the bed on this one. Hopefully, it's something minor that they overlooked, and not "Welp our completely redesigned netcode is even more fucked, please wait six months for another patch".

This netcode fix really needs to fucking happen, though. I am so sick of dropping combos or losing whole inputs in the lag. I tried to do a slide earlier, and the entire motion got lost in the lag. I wound up just standing there and doing literally nothing for about two seconds. It's bearable most of the time, but when it happens in a really close match and I do a low jab just because the slide motion for an ice clone didn't register, I get pretty pissed.

The whispers on the street say they rushed it out in an effort to provide fellatio to the PS3 community and it looks like somebody forgot that you can't orphan the balls. Somebody had to be the guinea pig, I suppose.

I still don't understand why I rarely ever experience lag in this game. There's a little latency, but I don't lose frames or inputs unless my opponent is across an ocean or just has a connection from 1999. Also, you know Ice Clone is on a timer kinda like Cyrax's net right? If you bust it out too close to your opponent and it doesn't come out, you have to wait before you can try it again. I think the same thing applies if you get hit while it's out. That's a possible explanation, but probably not it. If your netcode is that bad I seriously weep for you.

Maybe my internet connection is secretly gdlk.

EDIT:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1337549190.png

If it's no lie that I'm above 82% of the US, that's kinda gdlk. I think my DL should actually be about 5 megs faster, though... just on what I pay for.

My cross-country connection is ASS though:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1337552503.png

But still supposedly better than 64%? What the fuck?

Edited by Lenin

lag is inevitable

in just about every online game there will be noticeable lag

No, not like this. There's lag and there's lag and there's this.

What the hell kind of connection are you on, Lenin? It's not news to me that mine is mediocre as fuck, I've been looking for alternatives.

You say that like it isn't my world too.

It wasn't even the case in COD4, for the most part, or even MW2. It's really just Treyarch's games that have ass for netcode, and that's largely why I'm looking forward to MW3 so much. It'll be nice not having to empty a clip into a guy, get dropped by him and watch a killcam where you apparently never shot.

That's been my experience on every kill for infinity ward games, but NOT the treyarch games.

No, not like this. There's lag and there's lag and there's this.

What the hell kind of connection are you on, Lenin? It's not news to me that mine is mediocre as fuck, I've been looking for alternatives.

Charter Communication's "Max" package, IIRC. I'm totally blanking on my bill... I don't think it's higher than $50/monthly, though. You should talk to your ISP and see if they offer a service plan that's been designed for HD streaming and/or gaming. Somewhere in the way of 20+MB/s download speed is where you need to be for a smooth gaming experience online at this point in time. Anything above 25MB/s should feel like similar to offline play as long as you're connecting to a server and not a peer. If you play a lot of P2P games, you should get something that stresses upload speed as well, it'll help counterbalance the shitty internets of other players, and pull host more consistently if your game operates on that.

I recommend getting your net from a cable company too. ISPs such as Verizon and the like tend to gargle balls in comparison for some reason. My ISP is good, aside from that time my payment was late and they turned off my internet and their customer service department didn't understand why that situation should stop them from asking me "would you like to pay your bill online?" That was fail, but other than that they're solid. Their service plans don't really feature particularly good upload speeds, though.

Comcast is pretty good too from what I hear.

EDIT: (missed this post somehow...)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1337654470.png

Welp.

I don't know how good or bad that ping is, but I know the download speed is ass.

That ping is really good. The lower it is the better you connect to whatever server you're bouncing off. You've gotta be REALLY close to that server for 20 ms ping.

You gotta shitcan that standard DSL line if you want a better experience from your games.

Edited by Lenin

Word is that Paulo Garcia, a member of the NRS development team says after the patch is released, the hotfix that follows to get rid of Kung Lao's infinite/hat loop/something and Kano's upball shenanz, whatever will also have changes to Quan Chi.

After what the patch did to him (apparently after Sky Drop there is virtually no hit stun whatsoever, you get no mix-up off of it. High risk, no reward, just like basically all his other specials), I expect some kind of buff. But it wouldn't surprise me if they nerfed him more, I mean, you can still do Skeletal Boost before a fatality. SO FUCKING OP DUDE.

Curious about this.

Anyone here who plays online, what characters do you end up fighting the most? I'm getting so sick of Scorpions. I fight that fucker in at least 12 out of 10 matches.

Scorpion is the definitive scrub character, and that shouldn't be a shock. It's a mixture of 1) he's the most iconic MK character and 2) he's easy as shit to pick up. I think the character everyone ends up fighting most online is Scorpion, and I'd say they make up about half of all my games (out of 400 or 500 matches now).

What I really love is watching the scrub mentality in action. It's so methodical, so systematic. If they start with Smoke, Noob, Ermac, Scorpion, Raiden or Kung Lao, you can almost automatically assume they're going to move to someone else in this rotation if they lose, ESPECIALLY Scorpion if he wasn't the first character they picked. It's usually that they'll start with Smoke or Ermac, then immediately move to Scorpion if they lose. If THAT fails, they'll either keep sticking to it because they don't know how to sink any lower, or they'll go pick Raiden and spam superman.

I swear you could develop a flowchart for this shit.

...In fact, I kind of want to now.

MK is all flow charts in every aspect.

Nightwolf's is the funniest. Shoulder. Did it work? Yes. Shoulder. Did it work? No. Did you get punished? No. Shoulder. Did it work? Yes. Shoulder. Did it work? No. Were you punished this time? Yes. Wake-up shoulder. Did it work? How could it not? Do two hatchets and juggle them with a shoulder. Do another shoulder. Are they running away and crouching without block? Enhanced lightning, juggle with shoulder. Are they not running away and crouching with block? LOL SHOULDER. Repeat.

Nightwolf.

Edited by Lenin