Gran Turismo 5

Taurus

I've been thinking about getting it but I'd really like a wheel to go along with it. The problem with that is wheels are pricey. It doesn't help that I'd kill for one with a clutch but I've only found one of those which is $300 and needs to be mounted on something.

I may settle for controller though since I haven't had a good racing game in a few years.

Progressing through the game is a chore. Adding a level requirement to buy cars and enter races makes no sense and makes licences redundant (I only have the B licenses, and I beat the final Professional race).

80% of cars are locked to only show up randomly in the used car lot.

Customization practically isn't there. You need to unlock colors, and once you use a color it's gone.

Offline races feature so-so AI, but what really kills it is the horrible starting grids (you can have a race car and hatchback in the same race) and no qualifying.

On the upside, online racing menus are much better than GT5P and the physics are wonderful. One of the new tracks, SS7, a highway at night, was fun to just drive over and over with a car of my choice.

Once I figure out how to exploit the free car giveaway with maximum efficiency [you get a free car on your PSN account's birthday], I'll just get everything I want and focus on online.

It's a great game, flaws and all.

About the wheel. Logitech Driving Force Pro is probably pretty cheap by now. If you can do better than resting it on your lap, as I do, it will help you drive better than the controller. It is not for people with big hands though.

Edited by Exorcet

btw, how good about ver. 1.02?

(why I asked? few days ago, I'd updated GT5 to version 1.02 and cannot play the game. then I'd delete that version, after that I can back to play GT normally.)

I have no idea what it changed offline, but online it allowed hosts to control how much power and weight cars could have in their races.

Oh, wait I think I know one of the offline improvements. Before 1.02, when you gold a special event, you only get the gold prize money and XP. After 1.02, when you gold a special event, you get the gold+silver+bronze money and XP. It saved me from doing special events 3 times over. However, it does not repay you for events you golded before the patch.

Oh, wait I think I know one of the offline improvements. Before 1.02, when you gold a special event, you only get the gold prize money and XP. After 1.02, when you gold a special event, you get the gold+silver+bronze money and XP.

it's been that even didn't update to 1.02 (I'd notice everytime I get gold price...)

Oh, I only noticed post update.

1.03 adds damage however. Finally. Sadly, from what I can gather, it's a bit of a gimmick. Hit a wall at 100 mph and you can drive away.

Now for no reason, here's an example of the kind of tuning setups you can make in GT5.

I bought Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit instead of this.

You suck, Simmons.

It has more realistic damage at the expense of being a super-arcade racer. I'm cool with that because it means I can ram Zondas into walls so they'll fly twenty feet in the air.

FLYING ZONDA WITH CONSERVATION OF MOMENTUM

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5217266682_821b258ab0_b.jpg

A gimmick? Check out his acceleration. Goes to complete shit after the first crash.

His acceleration should be zero after a crash like that. The current damage is better than nothing, but would a realistic option have been so bad?

Thinking about it though, if he got away with such light damage because there is a damage cap, I guess it's not too bad. I was initially under the impression that damage was scaled down at all speeds. By that I mean that at every speed you would take less damage in GT5 than in reality. If instead, the damage is realistic up to the equivalent (energy wise, not speed wise) of a 20 mph crash, minor accidents could still be recreated faithfully.

I still want my car to lose invulnerability though.

Seems easier to gold these licenses than it's ever been. As in I haven't seriously played a racing game in a long time and I'm already getting them.

Licenses don't unlock anything except free cars, so if you are doing them from progression, don't bother. The horrible XP system is what replaced licenses, but special events and higher level races pay more XP than licenses.

As far as difficulty, I agree on the one's that I've done. However, some say that the later ones can be a pain because now the licenses involve AI. They can't drive and if you tap them, you lose.