Guilty Gear and/or BlazBlue.

Lenin

You've also yet to state why exactly you think Jin is overpowered.

You mean my paragraph about his high damage, freezing free hits/combos, ridiculous holdable invincibility frames, quick speed, and decent defense doesn't count?

I mean I know as an Arakune user I have no room to talk, but CT Jin is still leagues worse.

Edited by Griffon

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are being far too vague. Until you start being more specific then nobody is gonna be able to help you. If you are having issues getting hit then block low and watch for 6A. If you are having an issue getting guard crushed then learn his blockstrings and poke out of them. Learn his openings.

There's some general vague bullshit for you to go by.

I think he's just hating on the Arakune/Jin matchup though. Jin can zone Arakune rather nicely and does an even better job of that in CS with his new j.C.

That's actually probably it, I'd admit. In CT, whenever I'd fight a Jin, I'd tend to switch to Hakumen and do alright, but he does give my Ara a heap of trouble.

I don't think it's quite that I'm being a whiney bitch though, all my friends who play agree that Jin is the most annoying character to fight against. Including Tager players, decent ones too, felt that fighting Jin and his freezing was more annoying than my Ara. Take from that what you will. Maybe that was the problem, I was admittedly in a rotten mood when I started ranting about Jin, so maybe "cheap" or "OP" wasn't the right phrase, but "annoying". Given how easy it can be for Jin to keep the pressure on, and his ability to get free damage from his freezing moves, he's pretty aggravatin'.

Also, to change the subject, Makoto should be available for DLC Aug. 5th from what I heard.

It's not easy to keep his pressure going. His blockstrings are very limited and most of his specials are reserved for zoning. This is basically keeping him in zone mode until he gets a random hit and then he throws out a combo off of that. The only time I've seen blockstrings out of Jin are for his oki game and after 2A mashing to get people off of him.

The freezing can be annoying, but his freezing moves can be easily punished if used improperly. I will say that his freezing moves took a hit in CS. They have longer recovery and are no longer special cancellable. You'd have to spend meter to get out of them now. You can dash cancel 5D but that can get you in trouble on whiff or block. Jin's only option at that point is back off and pray he doesn't get trapped.

Specifically for Arakune though I'm not sure how much help I could really be. I don't know much about his move properties. I just know that he moves awkwardly. I can see how he would have a rough time with Jin. Tager players, though, that one is obvious. Jin just zones the fuck out of him.

Edited by Wrenchis

It's not easy to keep his pressure going. His blockstrings are very limited and most of his specials are reserved for zoning. This is basically keeping him in zone mode until he gets a random hit and then he throws out a combo off of that. The only time I've seen blockstrings out of Jin are for his oki game and after 2A mashing to get people off of him.

The freezing can be annoying, but his freezing moves can be easily punished if used improperly. I will say that his freezing moves took a hit in CS. They have longer recovery and are no longer special cancellable. You'd have to spend meter to get out of them now. You can dash cancel 5D but that can get you in trouble on whiff or block. Jin's only option at that point is back off and pray he doesn't get trapped.

Specifically for Arakune though I'm not sure how much help I could really be. I don't know much about his move properties. I just know that he moves awkwardly. I can see how he would have a rough time with Jin. Tager players, though, that one is obvious. Jin just zones the fuck out of him.

Do you have any tips for Taokaka vs Tager matches? I already know it's a bad matchup for taokaka (atleast for me. I keep getting magnetized easily by my friends tager and i can barely get out of it and when I do I can't get close enough to him to do any damage). So any tips would be great. Trust me I tried dustloop.com and such and received no help. Maybe i'm not looking hard enough.

Oh and Hakumen shit.

How do you play your Taokaka? I'm asking because the few I have seen suffer from being one dimensional or they think it's cool and effective to fly all over the screen. She's got quite a few shenagigans and it is essential to use them all to be successful with her.

She's got quite a few shenagigans and it is essential to use them all to be successful with her.

low punch low punch low punch low punchlow punch low punch low punch low punch low punch low punch low punch low punch low punch low punch v low punch low punch low punch low punch low punch low punch low punch

at least, that's all tao players needed to do to win in CT haha. Don't know how it is in Shift.

I generally try to avoid giving advice for how to beat the typical person online. If you haven't noticed yet most people suck at blocking and most of those that do block don't usually block low. Which I find quite amusing because you should actually be blocking low by default and only standing for jump ins and overheads.

Makoto is pretty beastly. She seems to put out damage quicker than you would expect. She's really hard to use well though considering her lack of range. She only has 3C, 3C feint, 214A/B/C and 236A~D. 5D and 2D can reach, but they aren't safe either.

at least, that's all tao players needed to do to win in CT haha. Don't know how it is in Shift.

You can't do 2A more than twice in a row now. I used to love to do that just to pester my friends, especially after "Almost Becoming Two!".

@BlooDaNyukka: But yeah, Tao has some nice combos, I'd suggest looking up some online, and learn to control her drive, don't just spam it, 'cause you won't get anywhere. Her back throw and air grab lead into all sorts of combod with the correct timing, so get good at that too. Don't be afraid to spam her 236A and 236C attacks a little, they're pretty much designed for that, but don't overdo it. IDK how effective my anti-Tager advice would be because my Tao loses to Tagers all the time (Then again all my friends who use Tager are beastly w/ him, while my Tao's not that good), but Hit & Run, especially her drive. But it's a bad matchup for tao no matter how you cut it.

The DLC they released is freakin GREAT though. The alternate colors have all sorts of goodies, like bringin back the theme colors that you could DL for CT (Litchi = Morrigan, Bang = Strider Hiryu, GaoTaGar, Hazama = Joker, etc.) as well as Guilty Gear colors for all characters as well (Ragna = Sol, Tager = Potemkin, Lambda = Justice, Mu = Dizzy, etc). The additional system voices are awesome as well, and IMO well worth the money. Jins is, anyway. They each come with two different takes from each VA. Carl's and Tao's VAs have one option that IMO is a bit annoying and not much of an improvement over the default one, but their second options are pretty good. But still worth the $ if you ask me. I'm not bothering with any of the unlimited characters (Except maybe lambda, since that technically unlocks Nu, who I'm not gonna use, but it's still a "different character").

Makoto is just an absolute blast though. I'm still practicing, but she's so goddamn fun.

And bouncy.

She's real close in, and her drive isn't obvious, but what it does is you hold the drive down to increase the damage. It's REAL quick though, and any longer, and the meter goes back down back to low damage. If anyone wants to see what I mean, take her to training, and when you hold the button to see the charge gauge right above her heat bar. Take a minute or two to get used to the timing, and she can be pretty mean. She may move to my secondary, in fact.

I'm also taking time to try to learn Lambda, she's got a few moves that Nu didn't that I really like, and isn't as OP. So she's pretty fun too.

Edited by Griffon

Yeah, I suppose I do.

Now granted, Nu wasn't nearly as truly OP as say Justice or Slayer, but you gotta admit, she had a pretty big damn advantage in the majority of matchups. I don't really equate OP to "cheap", but I do use it to acknowledge when a character is maybe at least just a little stronger than they should be.

Well I don't honestly see what is insanely overpowered about her. It's just a severe mismatch between her and the majority of the cast. Most characters in BB don't have fullscreen zone options and the ones that do don't have ones that are as quick to act as her Drives. What I will say is that her combos from 5D are ridiculously powerful and that was adjusted in CS. One of the D attacks can't be combo'd into anymore which helped. Her melee attacks were slowed down as well and her dash move was replaced with a dash attack so she can't charge you off of her drives anymore either.

She's been brought down a notch for sure in CS. For the most part though, I just find that there just aren't any easy answers for a good zone game in BB due to only 4 characters having a decent zone game and only 2 of them with useful projectiles. Rachel is more of an area lockdown and Hakumen is a physical zoner/antizone.

I do realize that you are an Arakune player though and that you have a particularly rougher time with the cast in general due to Arakune's unorthodox moveset.

I don't really equate OP to "cheap", but I do use it to acknowledge when a character is maybe at least just a little stronger than they should be.
Well I don't honestly see what is insanely overpowered about her.

Aww come on now. I know you and I have been more or less butting heads over the last week, and I'm all for a good discussion, but please don't put words in my mouth.

But you kinda answered your own question,

It's just a severe mismatch between her and the majority of the cast. Most characters in BB don't have fullscreen zone options and the ones that do don't have ones that are as quick to act as her Drives.

I know that in CT she was a little bit stronger than she should have been to be really balanced, but not really a game breaker. Given her ability to quickly warp projectiles in from nearly anywhere on the screen, and that many of her attacks were automatic 8-hit combos, they just did a little too much damage. This was fixed with Lambda.

I do realize that you are an Arakune player though and that you have a particularly rougher time with the cast in general due to Arakune's unorthodox moveset.

Please don't think I'm just complaining about bad matchups against Ara, because Nu wouldn't even count. I ate most Nu players alive, because I could zone just as effectively as they could. I'm thinking of everyone when I claim a character to be a little too strong.

Edited by Griffon

How do you play your Taokaka? I'm asking because the few I have seen suffer from being one dimensional or they think it's cool and effective to fly all over the screen. She's got quite a few shenagigans and it is essential to use them all to be successful with her.

i tend to think street fighter when playing her. using her projectiles and what not then cancel the fishbone(thats all i can remember) into drive and attempt at loop

... I don't really equate OP to "cheap", but I do use it to acknowledge when a character is maybe at least just a little stronger than they should be.

I have separate definitions for "over-powered", "cheap" and "broken"

I'll use SFIV as an example, and you can translate it into other games however you like:

SFIV Sagat: Over-powered (literally). The guy did way too much fucking damage and his defense was too high for a character focused on zoning.

SFIV Ryu: Cheap. DP into ultra and other bullshit shenanigans that were way, way too easy.

For a truly "broken" experience, I don't really know. Testament (note he's my main) in GGXXAC has some fairly broken shit, so does Eddie. Nu isn't a whole hell of a lot better. Can't think of anything OBVIOUSLY broken in SFIV... though I do hate Rufus's bullshit.

People are going to disagree with that. But I don't give a shit.

• 1 month later...

Updating: Blahblahblah Valkenhayn DLC out September 21st blahblahblah rejoicing fucktard fanboys blahblahblah Platinum The Trinity DLC announced for whenever they feel like releasing her blahblahblahblah even more fucktard fanboy armies dickfagging each other with rainbow kawaii glee.

Blahblahblah BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II to hit arcades this December blahblahblah will have all DLC/console characters blahblahblah complete rebalancing of all characters blahblahblah balance patch for consoles in December blahblahblah probably a patched through CS2 blahblahblah will probably cost money blahblahblah still better than what SSFIV has in store for us this December. Anyone having 'Nam style flashbacks when they caught their first glimpse of Genei-Jin? Blahblahblah Street Fighter sucks balls blahblahblah.

EDIT: Blahblahblah Zen United floated a rumor that CS2 will feature seven new characters blahblahblah the implication is Mu-12, Valkenhayn, Makoto, Platinum + three as yet unnamed characters blahblahblah remember that no one has more shitstained orifices which contain things to be pulled forth from than the ones who report video game rumors blahblahblah.

EDIT Part Deux: Blahblahblah the three as yet unnamed characters that are likely to be getting in, if the rumor is true, are: "Phantom", Relius and someone else... Probably Jubei (but I want Saya, goddammit).

Edited by Lenin