Shotguns in LR

Crimson Fury

What do you guys think is the best one in LR? Overall they're definitely not top-tier weapons, but I used to get a lot of wins on Kai with a lightweight weilding a single SP, but I abused the hell outta a lot of people's lack of ability to target track too. Penguin Deus told me the other day that the SP is inferior to the double-barrel in most circumstances, I didn't know this.Opinions?! I know a few guys aside from me had a lot of luck with them back then(Bato and TM to name a few) Anybody got shotgun love in ACLR? And if so which ones? And what other underrated weapons have you used to pull some surprise wins? Edited by Crimson Fury

Yeah dood my roommate did a test for that one day. His test was to fire the gun at a wall and at an AC a bunch of times (I forget how many times) from incremental distances of 50 starting at 0, record the damage done, solve for how many beads hit, and check the spreads on the wall. I want to say he even took pictures for the spreads. I know he wrote out all of his data. It was a very thorough test...and I think he skipped a day of work to do it. What a guy.

Essentially, his results were:

-The double-barrel almost always has a tighter spread, and since it has more beads

-The only range SP will out-damage is at the most extreme ranges, where you can expect only one bead to hit from either

After he did the test and showed me his results, I agreed with him to never use the SP again. There's just no reason.

As for my take on shotguns:

Shotguns aren't too good in LR, but they can definitely get you results. That's the beauty of LR. It has this unique quality in the AC series in that it's the only game where you can run an entire offense off your back or off your hands, and in some cases even off your core. This gives you a ton of leeway in using some more exotic choices when it comes to back-up weapons. As long as you don't use something completely meaningless (or worse) you can get away with lots of stuff. Also, shotguns still fuck shit up great when you're really close. If you're the type who can get into the pocket and stay put long enough to bust your load on their face enough times, you're definitely getting bang for your buck. All puns intended.

People used SP back in the day when they didn't know any better, myself included. What it comes down to is, SP (6 bullet spread) does equal damage to 84S (8 bullet spread) and you only benefit from it at ranges where you would be better off using a rifle. Extra weight just bogs most builds down. I don't like 76S either since it's weaker with a lower attack power and 6 bullets per spread instead of 8.

S2 is just the lefty version of 84S.

I mainly do dual shotguns or p3+s2 anytime I do use them. OB mandatory. Sometimes I'll sneak 84S on quads. If it weighed around 360~ like p3 and r2 it'd probably see a lot more use. If the lefty was a WS lock it would be the bees knees too.

Edited by LCC

Yah, I use 88S2 on my quad for a leftie gun. It's a lot more entertaining than running HP at least, though it's a lot less useful. Still good enough to work, though. I think S2 is easily best on left arm. Its spread is just tighter and the dumb thing weighs like 10. I definitely don't like the look of the double-barreled shotties, though. I like the 76S and SP for looks. SP is definitely my favorite shotty, though. If it just didn't weigh a fuckton I'd use it more often.

Really, my only real beef with SP is the weight. Though I'm talking left hand guns. I don't use right hand shotguns too often.

Yeah, it's all about s2 for me. I like shotguns. I used to rock the en shotgun back in nx/nb but it's not the same in lr. Overall though, I always liked the double barrel over the sp. I couldn't justify the added weight for the supposed stronger hits.

84S is teh best. Kuroi Kenshin said he liked it better than the SP, because he said it had a tighter spread or something, so we both played each other with 84S and SP and came to the same conclusion. 84S worked better, not to mention that it's lighter. Edited by TMRaven

@TM- Ya, we loved us some small missiles, I used RM a lot too though.

Ehh leftie shotties were always a sore subject for me personally, WS would have made way more sense. I mean they're only useful at such close ranges that FROM could've justified the WS lock easily, if only to give players another decent alternative to the great leftie handguns on an AC that needs a lockbox buffer or general CQC gun.