Dragon's Dogma

Magnus

It's like, well I have Skyrim, and I can play Dark Souls by mooching off my chums whenever, so why buy this? Both of those are basically the better halves of this half-baked whole. If anything, the whole boss battle thing just gives me a reason to get on tracking down another copy of Shadow of the Colossus to enjoy that all over again.

I never played Skyrim, but Dark Souls isn't really a fair comparison, right? I mean that's a multiplayer heavy game, for one. From the gameplay videos I saw they are pretty different games. Whatever though it's not like I've played this game.

And just go order the HD addition of SotC, that way there's no tracking down involved. You just order that motherfucker off amazon. I heard it's fantastic (again).

You are correct Mike. Skyrim and Dark Souls are at very opposite ends of the RPG spectrum. Dark Souls tries to focus more on the human component and Skyrim just sucks you in with an overwhelming amount of things to do. Dragon's Dogma is somewhere in the middle. I just find the combat to be more satisfying and I could never really take advantage of the multiplayer aspect of Dark Souls so I got fed up really quick.

At least here I know I'm on my own and I get a good sense of "I just fucked shit up" that I otherwise would've gotten from Dark Souls or replaying Monster Hunter games.

I never played Skyrim, but Dark Souls isn't really a fair comparison, right? I mean that's a multiplayer heavy game, for one. From the gameplay videos I saw they are pretty different games. Whatever though it's not like I've played this game.

And just go order the HD addition of SotC, that way there's no tracking down involved. You just order that motherfucker off amazon. I heard it's fantastic (again).

Thanks for the obvious point in the right direction on SotC.

Also, I was not directly comparing Dark Souls and Skyrim. What I was saying is that Dragon's Dogma takes elements from both, attempts to hit the strong points of both (some of the strong points, it obviously missed out on strong MP components), and falls short of both, as well as (most likely, haven't had too much boss experience with it) falling short of SotC in its "unique" boss battle mechanics too. Basically it seems to be a game that tries to be too many and once and suffers in quality for it in ways that are blatantly apparent, so why buy it?

Edited by Vincent210

Sure, yeah. I get that. I just don't see it that way, is all. Mainly because I don't really think it was trying to take elements from either game. I think it might share a few similarities only because that's the nature of the game genre.

This game kind of reminded me of monster hunter more than anything.

• 7 months later...