The Firearm Thread

Butts

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was buying a spare mag for the 22 and I saw that flash hider and thought "huh." It wasn't expensive and it came with the part I'd need if I ever want to fit a suppressor so I said fuck it and got it too.

I'll be going to a range sometime this weekend. Probably to a fucking indoor range. It's hot as dick right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Proposed bill amendment banning high-capacity magazines

Basically, any magazine capable of holding ten or more rounds would be illegal for civilian ownership. This applies to both handguns and rifles but attached tubular .22 magazines are excluded.

The penalty for possession of the mags is an unspecified fine and/or a term of not more than 10 years in prison.

Yeah noob is right, those clips are already banned here. Although I thought we were allowed to have 12 round clips for 9mm and stuff? I might be mixing that up with police issue shit though...wouldn't be the first time. Edited by Penguin Deus

• 3 months later...

Here's a guy I like, who comes to the defense of bullpups.

Now, he has very valid points about reloads. But it forgets one huge thing.

Try doing those reloads with kit on, it ain't gonna happen. Also reloads in the prone are more wonky. They can be done, but it's not as "ergonomic" as people who are bullpup fans would like to think. Also, shoulder transitions are impossible unless you have a forward ejecting rifle like the F2000 by FNH. You can look up vids like

, with the QBZ-95, a gun of which I know you're a fan. And you can do reloads in skimpy airsoft swat style vests. But if you stack armor, radio, mags, and other modern infantry equipment on a guy, bullpups become an immediate liability.

What are the advantages? Longer barrels in shorter packages? For the most part, that isn't an issue. Collapsing stock M4's are plenty compact enough to get in and out of shit now. It's not like hallways are going to get magically smaller. The whole point about balance is also null and void, as modern infantry rifles are gonna get tricked out with doo-dads like optics, night vision lasers, lights, grenade launchers, suppressors, etc..

Bullpups have their niche, and not all bullpups are identical. However, rear-box magazine fed, side-ejecting bullpups provide no significant advantage without disadvantages that outweigh them. The important thing to focus on here, is that they have their NICHE. Bullpups are not going to make good general purpose combat rifles, that doesn't mean certain conditions wouldn't be more suited towards having a bullpup. It just means they're not going to be good general purpose service rifles.

http://nimga.com/m/uvL26.gif

The only reason the Chinese developed their own weapon and caliber, is a strategic decision that they didn't want to have an army with ammunition that can be used by non-military personnel; generally speaking. Stolen QBZ-95's and such can use 5.8mm ammo, but you can't buy 5.8mm ammo or weapons chambered in it if you're not the PLA. It's an intelligent decision, the choice of going bullpup however, not so much.

The Chinese are decades behind the US in small unit tactics, CQB, MOUT, Urban Warfare, and general combat experience/training methodology.

EDIT: Forgot a link.

Edited by Enganacious

What other countries?

Countries like the U.K. and New Zealand? Who's special forces use AR15 platform rifles and not the standard issue regular army bullpups?

Also, 1.3 billion people didn't make the decision, the group was much smaller than that. And they can totally be wrong. The question is what were the criteria they were trying to fill? The Chinese PLA has no intention of gearing up soldiers like we do, it doesn't fit their strategic model. That's why they'd get slaughtered in a manpower equal fight. They still rely on Korean War era human wave attacks in their Infantry strategies. Which won't work either because modern fire support, especially American fire support, will turn human wave attacks into goo faster than you can say HORY SHEET.

Don't be mad the aesthetic styling of bullpups you find so pleasing to the eye doesn't equate into combat effectiveness.