Bloodborne

Clones

I think most of it is the blood vial system.

When Dark Souls introduced the Flask System in place of the grass system in Demon's Souls, it was a huge jump in difficulty. Not only did you have to think carefully about when to heal because you only got a limited amount, but you had to find a right time within combat to use one, because the animation and recovery of drinking a flask was considerably longer than munching on some grass like in Demon's Souls. A lot of my deaths in DKS1 and 2 were while I was trying to drink a Flask. So far I can't recall one time where I've died in Bloodborne trying to impale myself with a blood vial. It seems like every other enemy in the game drops blood vials too, and the only time I ever find myself low on them is when I'm in the latter stages of a boss battle. Couple this with the fact that blood vials heal a set percentage of your health bar (1/3rd I think), means that the game compounds the advantage of having more vitality-- whereas in all previous games, the healing items only healed a set amount of health that was never based off your amount of health.

This almost makes boss fights just games of endurance which I usually win because I have 20-24 vials and they all heal a good chunk of my health, and since blood vials have about the same speed of munching on grass, I rarely get punished for trying to heal myself.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The healing in Bloodborne was one of the main things that stood out when I first started watching some gameplay, it just seemed players had too much leeway to tank a hit and not give a fuck. Being able to heal at a whim 20+ times in battle is pretty ridiculous. Edited by Nomrah

I liked Lost Izalith a lot too. Wading your way through that lava with giant enemies coming after you was almost as brutal as 5-2 in Demon's Souls. It definitely isn't one of the more memorable levels of Dark Souls for me though.

As for your comments on the weapons Nomrah, I can definitely see the idea of trying to streamline the amount of weapons so there's less redundancy, but at the same time (from a PvE perspective only), I can't see much other reason to use anything besides the Hunter's Axe. Its 2h form is very long range with sweeping moves that kills entire crowds really well. Its 1h form is still super fast and still highly damaging so you get good visceral attacks after stuns. Maybe PvP will show its weakness, and demand more diversity within the weapons.

Armor not having much affect on defensive stats I don't mind, but at the same time I miss the sheer amount of cool and completely insane looking amor sets from previous souls games. Now there are some really cool armors in Bloodborne (I especially like the crow-feather garb-- who doesn't), but it's not the same as putting on a huge ass boar's helmet, or cladding yourself in a big fat Smough set, or showing all ur skin with a Desert Sorceress'set.

Another things on the difficulty, I miss having gravity be a huge danger to you. In Dark Souls 1, my biggest killer was probably falling down after taking a miss-step, or having an enemy force me off a ledge. Just as I said that I couldn't think of one time where I died taking a blood vial, I can't think of one time I've died falling down. (Actually tho I think I died once trying to get to the Old Workshop-- oh, and another time falling down a lift without sending the platform back up--, but it's nothing like trying to go down 2-2 in Demon's Souls or trying to traverse the flying buttresses and on your approach to Anor Londo Cathedral-- or even having to pay attention to where you're going in that one water place in Dark Souls 2.)

Edited by DANTONIO THE DEMON

ur just too good at the game owen

as for my opinion i think its pretty tough and i also think its one of the most elegantly designed games i've ever played

i like it a whole lot and i have no complaints with it, nothing has bothered me yet mechanics or design wise

my only beef has been glitches but thats a problem with just about any game

DS2 had a ton of weapons yeah but DS1 and DS2 also had a ton of weapons that were absolutely worthless. You could make an excuse to use some of them but there were certain ones that were just better in every single way so there was really no point for the worse options to exist.

I am fine with the amount of armor and weapons in BB. Transformations means you basically have 6 weapons on hand at any moment. That and almost all these weapons are way more interesting than Souls weapons.

quit hatin

I have found the Hunter's Axe obnoxiously easy to avoid in PVP. The two-handed form is just too slow. It's possible that the few opponents I've faced with them have just been bad with it, but my strategy of just dashing forward whenever they attempted any attacks was pretty effective. Not to mention they can't lock you down with gun while two-handing. Edited by Rachis

Yea I can see that being the case. Its 2h swings are very reminiscent of an ultra-greatsword class from Dark Souls 1/2. Needless to say, those were very easy to avoid in PvP.

Zweihander in Dark Souls 1 was scary as fuck though, especially if the other person had the poise to tank your hit as you swung at them while they were swinging.

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of favorite bosses, Miyazaki was quoted saying his personal fav out of all souls games (I'm just gonna call bloodborne a souls game from here on out for simplicity reasons) is Old Monk. That was a cool fight! If you were playing offline tho fk that fight it's lame as hell.

I did some frame tests on stamina regen, more frames the slower obviously:

no clothes, no weapons: 84 frames to refill

full yarghul set, no weapons: 84 frames to refull

full yarghul set, axe: 84 frames to refull

full yarghul set, axe, cannon: 84 frames to refull

full yarghul set, axe, cannon, cleaver and blunderbuss as secondaries: 101 frames to refull

full yarghul set, axe, cannon, cleaver and blunderbuss as secondaries, hand lantern: 117 frames to refull

roughly 80% slower. same as hand lantern-- roughly 80% slower compared to fully loaded.

seems there's a tier system, but I'm not sure exactly the specifics. One thing's for sure though if you want best region then don't have hand lantern or alternates.