Casshern SINS

Harakiri Tiger

The first thing to know about SINS is that it's absolutely completely unrelated to the original Casshern junk. It's actually decent, too. The original anime was very wacky and had very little story to it. Most of that story was just, "Ahhhh kill the robots!" and "Ahhhh the robots are killing us!" So it was more of an action anime than anything else, but I watched it when I was really young so it's stayed with me since then.

Much like AC, I've tried every iteration of Casshern hoping the next one would get better instead of worse, but it just seemed to be against the laws of reality and time.

Anyway, Casshern SINS has the main character, Casshern, initially searching for an answer to who he is. This is because he has an extreme case of Amnesia. The series quickly reveals its overall concept, though. Death and how the world copes with it. In the world of Casshern SINS, robots have begun to die like humans do. They age and rust over time and are no longer everliving. This is due to something they call the "Ruin" and it's something that they all blame Casshern for. It seems like he's the one who started this entire event. Adding to it, Casshern himself is still everliving. This leads to a lot of hatred for Casshey. It also leads to an odd belief that if a robot eats Casshern they will become everliving in turn. This isn't true, but it's supposed to represent one of those insane things people come up with to help them cope.

Humans still populate the world of Casshern SINS, but they're rare enough that few are seen over the course of the series. They also have to cope with death and the fact that the world itself in Casshern SINS is nearly a total wasteland only makes it worse. The interesting thing is that most of the humans encountered by Casshern in his travels have an outtake on life that surprises him and helps him form a view on life and death as time progresses.

It's mostly a progression of situations where Casshern see's how different people/robots deal with the idea of life and death. While I did find the robots and some fight scenes to be silly, the overall progression of events was very good. The music was also surprisingly good, though the opening/ending was a little silly.

Anyway, look it up!

• 1 year later...
I think it may be on Netflix. I watched this quite a while ago via torrents while it was being released in Japan. It's basically a total rewrite of the series. The character names and a few details/tidbits about them are used that link it to the Casshern universe, but it's basically a completely stand-alone ultra-alternate universe setting.

• 1 month later...

It probably will draw more appeal from an older crowd as it's mean theme is death. I don't mean killing/murder everywhere, but rather how people cope with death being a part of life. In Casshern SINS world robots have lost the ability to live forever and slowly rust to death, even if they try to change parts, etc. The entire world is Casshern SINS is actually dying and turning into a desert planet. People who watch stuff like Fruits Basket and Spice 'n Wolf probably wouldn't enjoy it, haha.

I do dislike the exagerrated fights in Casshern SINS, but it's Casshern. I grew up with Casshern.

I still haven't gotten around to watching anything past the first episode myself, though I am interested.

However, just the other day I heard Father forcing Mother to watch the show (I was in half sleep daze on the couch) and he said to her that he thought the show could have been made by homosexuals and the underlying plot was the world was dying from gay AIDS. Some of the shit he says sometimes...

He even dismissed Speed Grapher as "gay camera wielding explosion fag sucks."

Edited by Jackson Lacey

I have not watched SINS in english, though it is on Netflix. I have no idea how it'll work if it has bad voice overs. I say this mostly because the action scenes really bugged me sometimes. They were a little overboard, but luckily they're nowhere near the majority of the anime. Bad voices would just really lay it on thick, tbh. Hopefully it all works out for you if you watch it!

Your Mother and Father sound very scary. Especially since you call them Mother and Father. Do they have beards, by chance?

This show is... soooo depressing.

The voices aren't bad, though I wish I could watch the jap version instead. I keep hearing Trunks when Casshern is talking. Also the robot that fell into the graveyard where the little girl kept helping him was Vegeta, in voice and in the stuff he'd say.

I have to finish the last six episodes today.

Edit: I finish the whole series in crummy english just to find out Funimation kindly has the whole thing subbed on youtube.

All the more reason for watching the whole thing over again.

Edited by Jackson

Also the robot that fell into the graveyard where the little girl kept helping him was Vegeta, in voice and in the stuff he'd say.

HAHAHAHA! That's amazing, holy shit. Vegeta voice in SINS I think woulda busted it for me, haha. Funimation is so high tier.

So, how do you feel about the action scenes? I felt like they were overexaggerated, but that's not exactly unexpected since it's a Casshern spin-off. I think if those action scenes were a bit less crazy I woulda enjoyed it a lot more.

It's all a little fantastic, and I can't imagine how the creators would begin to explain his ability to practically free flow through space the way he does. I mean, if Casshern wants to shoot into there air doing 360s and full body flips, he does so without even jumping practically. Aside from that, though, the brutality reminded me of Evangelion, and so I kinda liked it in that sense.

In the end, it's still not really about the action. They're short scenes. Not some DBZ-styled 'Let's take 10 to 15 episodes just to fight Braiking Boss.'

• 7 months later...
I watched the subbed version awhile back. It was very nostalgic for me, very artsy, and the action really didn't bother me. That one mental episode near the end was weird though. And I'm very much used to weird. I enjoy those dreary robot stories though. Robot Revolution!

• 1 month later...

So this is on Toonami so I am totally watching it. And the first episode is pretty slow paced, but it's very nice nonetheless. I'll definitely be enjoying it more than Deadman Wonderland.

My only issue with it is that it's pretty stupid that metal becomes weak once it's "dead."