Crosshatching

Neko Arc Chaos

it depends on what I'm doing. if it's a pen drawing, I crosshatch the fuck outta it example \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

As for pencil... I usually smooth it. Strangely I actually use crosshatching in paintings, it's just really subtle.

• 3 months later...

I crosshatch all the time. It's second nature now. Well, I shouldn't say all the time. If I'm using a pencil or pen and the drawing needs shading, I'm crosshatching. I generally hate smudging with pencil. I feel it makes the image look terrible to be honest. I suppose though, if done right, it can have a decent look. I don't see it often though.

Yes, I realize that this is an old topic, but hell. I like talking about art. Sue me.

Kind of curious though, why the question?

It's not that it looks cleaner for me, although that's a big part of it. It's like this to me. You can have a pretty sick line drawing that looks decent by itself. Once you add smudging, it automatically goes down in quality for me. Again though, I'm not saying that all smudging is bad.

It's late, so I don't want to start looking up examples but yea. Most often, I usually prefer either crosshatching, or shading with the side of the pencil (if we're talking graphite at least).

• 8 months later...