Sandwiches

SUMERIAN BLOOD GOD

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure I should post my updated pulled pork via slow cooker/crock pot recipe.

The Rub

1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar

2/3 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup chili powder

1/4 cup garam masala

1 tbsp black pepper

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp cayenne pepper

^ You can adjust this to your liking, this is just my preferred base.

The Juice

1 cup chicken stock

1-2 onions chopped (enough to cover the bottom of the crock pot)

~6 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed

2 tbsp apple juice/apple cider

1 tbsp honey

1 tsp liquid smoke

1 tsp browning & seasoning sauce

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Basically you chop the garlic an onions, add the rest of The Juice ingredients to your crock pot. Then take the pork butt and get it rinsed off and dried really well, rub it down with The Rub; then you want to wait about 30 minutes to let the rub basically bind to the pork. Then set it in the slow cooker and turn it to high, wait several hours, and it's ready. Once I feel it's done, I like to pull out the meat, which will fall apart. Pick through and pull out any chunks of fat or connective tissue, obviously do some quality assurance. Then I strain the cooking liquid into a bowl and put it back in the crock pot. I put the meat back in and basically pull it apart and mix it up with the juices with tongs. If you want to store it, I would leave the juice out, it'll make it taste really good; but it looks butt ugly with coagulated fat on it.

I'm probably going to make one for myself this weekend and try it a couple different ways. I've got two crock pots so I can buy a whole shoulder at Costco, cut it in half and do the whole thing at once; so maybe I'll snap some picks and show the whole process.

aside from sandwiches? all kinds of things

you can eat it alone, you can put it in tacos, in burritos

like half the dishes in BBQ and carribean/central american have pulled pork as a part of the meal and its not in a sandwich

pulled pork is wild versatile

• 1 month later...

Alrighty...

Breaded spicy chicken patty with red onions, roma tomato, pepper jack cheese, all on slices from a fresh from the bakery garlic parmesean encrusted sourdough loaf. Lightly toasted to also melt the cheese and keep it all together.

I'd give you a pic, but I think someone at the camera that had pics of it already >.> *coughs*

• 2 weeks later...

wtf is wrong with you

Ya, inquiring minds wanna know.

Just realized I completely forgot to respond to any of this. So, I'm really sensitive to textures, and new tastes bother me. The combination of a cold, slimy-ish sandwich with a bunch of weird tastes and semi-uncooked meat made me feel sick really quickly. The smell didn't help either. It was like onion and some kinda weird mayo-ish thing that also smelled somewhat like mustard?