MP-O601JC is a rad missile.

Exorcet

I remember back in AC4 times that many a player looked down on this part. Exogen along with me found it great it though (the 1.4 version, before they made it dumb in 1.6 by having it fly out to nowhere on either side of you before tracking).

It has infinity ammo, rapid fire, and the same tracking as OSAGE. Firepower isn't amazing sure, but it can give consistent damage, and there's always extensions. So if you were one of those haters, convince me that I'm wrong for liking this missile.

As far as AC4 goes, I enjoyed the JC a bunch, too. I just never found it to be as useful as the Spartoi was in LR. Idk what happened to it after 1.4 since I didn't play much of 1.6. I found it to be on par with Osage in tracking power in 1.4. It hit about as often, but allowed more terrain based abuse and play. Less damage means I'd probably still use Osage over it in a competitive setting, though.

Hahaha, I like the part about infinity ammo, though.

I find it's ability in AC:fA to have been increased by quite a bit. I've enjoyed it's spammability quite a bit in matches were people don't seem to understand how it works.

The FA version is inconsistent for me. O203 is still my preferred missile in that game, and if I did go PM's, I think I'd use the bigger ones.

On AC4, I think that it was actually better at creating pressure than OSAGE. You could just set up a constant stream of 601, and the best option to get past them was usually to go forward. This is very much like OSAGE, however OSAGE could not constantly barrage you with one launcher. 601 also has higher effective range I think. While someone is preoccupied with 601, they could take a lot of rifle/laser/grenade damage.

And to better explain the 1.6 change, the missiles no longer track right out of the launcher, they will fly about 100-250 range before turning at all. At long range, it doesn't change anything, but at short-mid or close range, it can make them useless. It also means that half of them hit the ground when you maneuver since the launcher is angled sideways when you aren't moving straight forward or backward.

Oh wow, wut.

I don't know how that change would affect things, but I would assume greater firing arcs would lead to more entertaining play in the City. I can see where they went overboard with it, though. I think mabye 50 meter arcs would be acceptable. 250 sounds ridiculous.

I dunno, I got the feeling they were supposed to be the SPART01s of AC4, but fell short. To me they had the same problem as the EC-O300, Good in everything but fire rate and firepower, meaning they were good at gradually whittling down AP over time, but more often than not while you were eroding their armor, you just got yours dynamite blasted to 0.

Or maybe that's just me, I've always had a preference for high-powered low-ammo weapons opposed to ones that did more gradual damage.

Oh man, I loved this part in AC4. Both the performance and the missile mechanics in AC4 made this a beautiful part. Why couldn't ACFA keep the same missile mechanics? I miss how they try to lead into your AC rather than just following it.

Anyways, yeah, the missile didn't do alot of damage, but it was pretty consistent and they made for annoying little buggers to dodge while still being able to dodge projectile weapons.

I dunno, I got the feeling they were supposed to be the SPART01s of AC4, but fell short. To me they had the same problem as the EC-O300, Good in everything but fire rate and firepower, meaning they were good at gradually whittling down AP over time, but more often than not while you were eroding their armor, you just got yours dynamite blasted to 0.

Or maybe that's just me, I've always had a preference for high-powered low-ammo weapons opposed to ones that did more gradual damage.

On fire rate, if I remember right, they were the fastest firing missiles in the game - unless you meant damage rate when you said fire rate. Even so, you could group them with extensions for nice damage. Unlike other missiles, 601 has enough ammo and spamability so that you could fight with your extensions off most of the time, and flip them on for surprise attacks that could deal quite a bit of damage.

On fire rate, if I remember right, they were the fastest firing missiles in the game - unless you meant damage rate when you said fire rate.

Well, I kinda did mean fire rate. While they may have been the fastest, that's more or less only because all the other launchers fired significantly larger salvos. So when put like that, a sequence of 2......2.......2.......2........2 isn't very high. If you ask me, they should have made them more like the SPART01 and fire 2 sets of 2. Or did they? I don't remember. I don't think they did.

Numbers are estimates:

OSAGE - 6 missile salvo, 160 reload

601 - 2 missile burst 50 reload

Over time of 200, number of missiles fired:

OSAGE - 6*(200/(160+time to fire 6 missiles)) >= 7.5

601 - 2*(200/50) = 8

601 will put out more missiles over time than the ever popular OSAGE, and the target may never get a chance to rest, while OSAGE gives plenty of time to regroup.

Hmm, well I suppose I can't argue with numbers.

I can however argue with tactics. JC may be able to out-missile the OSAGE if they're both kept up, but I don't know about anyone else but I use the osage to fire a salvo and immediately switch to whatever else, whereas the JC needs to be kept on and firing the whole time.

OR it could just be that it's a better launcher than I gave credit for. I never cared for it, but it's pretty obvious its got some fans.

I had a few matches with faust, and interestingly enough we found a few quirks with 601 that I had forgotten. The biggest issue was that a lot of them lost track rather easily, even with minimal maneuvering. I also found that even with 1.4's instant tracking missiles, they still tended to hit the ground on launch more often then I liked. Overall though, I still stand by points, it was effective as far as damage and pressure go, though perhaps not as much as I remember (or maybe it was rust?).