PS Vita

Magnus

http://kotaku.com/5744675/yes-ive-played-w...ortable-the-ngp

Not PSP2. NGP.

Kind've a clunky name.

And it's completely sealed, so no battery changing. No more taking two charged batteries with you on road trips.

And UMDs are not back-compat.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/82922/p...l-says-pachter/

Edited by Obscure

No UMDs or battery case isn't all that big to me, in fact I'd consider it a step in the right direction, as both are rather clunky.

The sealed battery thing will of course depend on if Sony's battery tech is up to par with Apple's.

OLED screens are beautiful as well. I think it's a nice bit of kit, but I can't see it selling for cheap. Not unless sony wants to lose more money. It will be hard to compete with the 3DS and apple iPod touch/iPhone.

Why are you rocking Dr. Frostbite's sig.

Edited by TMRaven

Meh, people were willing to buy the 3DS for the same price, and considering they're gonna deliver the same things with a few exceptions here and there, I'm not sure how it's gonna sell.

But I do have one opinion on this:

DUAL ANALOG STICKS. YES.

Honestly, I can't believe no handheld I've seen has ever thought to put this CRUCIAL idea into their system.

If it follows up with good games, then I'm sold. And if it can play non-UMD PSP games, I'm sold on that too.

Meh, people were willing to buy the 3DS for the same price, and considering they're gonna deliver the same things with a few exceptions here and there, I'm not sure how it's gonna sell.

The 3DS is priced at $249.99. How is that the same as $299.99 or $349.99? Even then, people have been complaining about the 3DS price tag. Perhaps not the greatest source for an opinion, but definitely a large one:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=4225

If the NGP falls in at $100 more, it's going to have a hard time. I agree with TM here that it's about what I expected, but I don't really expect it to work out. It is pretty though.

i wont buy it until people find out how to use cfw for it

thats the only real reason i got a normal psp ("free" games)

You'll be waiting upwards of a year.

Sony will have picked up even more security tricks from how they broke into the PS3 and PSP as well.

Also, your motive is the reason the PSP doesn't get very many quality releases.

Edited by Artdeux

Except it's not a crucial idea.

You're only excited because it means Armoured Core games will port over to the NGP easier.

Or maybe because I like dual analog sticks.

Have you tried playing Ape Escape with one analog controller? How about Ratchet and Clank?

Feels bad man.

Or maybe because I like dual analog sticks.

Have you tried playing Ape Escape with one analog controller? How about Ratchet and Clank?

Feels bad man.

Have you ever played Monster Hunter? I do it without the claw.

2 analogue sticks are nice, but not necessary like you make them out to be. Heck, the Game Boy has gone 21 years without an analogue stick at all, ending that streak with the 3DS's slide-pad.

2 analogue sticks are nice, but not necessary like you make them out to be. Heck, the Game Boy has gone 21 years without an analogue stick at all, ending that streak with the 3DS's slide-pad.
The issue with the lack of analogue sticks stems from the fact Sony made games with full use of dual sticks for like over a decade, and with the PSP said fuck it leaving the great torrent of nerd rage to ensue. Edited by K.K

The issue with the lack of analogue sticks stems from the fact Sony made games with full use of dual sticks for like over a decade, and with the PSP said fuck it leaving the great torrent of nerd rage to ensue.

One must admit, that with some limitations, developers are forced to innovate with their games rather than just being BROWN AND BLOOM: MODERN BLOOD SPLATTERS: VERSION DODECAHEDRON.

Also, AC went without primarily using analogue sticks until 2004, with the release of AC:N. 7 years after the first release of AC, and 7 years after first release of Sony's Dual Analogue controller. Sony never forced developers to use the analogue sticks, else AC2 would have the sticks set up into a control scheme. The analogue sticks were only used for extentions and OB through the L3 and R3 buttons.

Edited by Artdeux

• 3 weeks later...

Man, Neo Geo Pocket and Dreamcast were ahead of their time.

Looking at that price confirmation article that was last linked was interesting. I knew price was going to be high since the tech's pretty advanced as far as portables go. Hell, OLED screens aren't put on a lot of smartphones because of the cost; a lot have to go to a third party to provide them. A large portion of OLED phones come from manufacturers that make OLED screens themselves, Sony being one of those. But I'm digressing from what I originally wanted to talk about. I noticed that the 3G version is going to require a subscription from a provider. How is that going to work? I don't see how Verizon or AT&T or TWC or one of those companies is going to offer mobile 3G on such a closed device. I would think they'd have to do like Apple did with the iPad and work up a contract with someone to provide it. That's unfortunate since it would probably cut into Sony's profit margin somewhat. It'd be great if it was like how Amazon provides the Kindle 3G with subscription-free service and only charges for sending books/documents over a 3G connection. I don't see that happening though since sending a book is a lot less data than playing a game online for even a few minutes.

Edited by Ninety

I really hope they don't force a subscription to make up for PS3 losses. God, that would be awful.

As much as I hate the thought of it, people are more than happy to pay for online, and then pay AGAIN for subscription based games.

They would be capitalizing on quite the industry of gullible people, which might mean the end of my console gaming days.

Japan has a cult following for the thing. Loyal to the grave.

Japan has a cult following for everything. You name it. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, the Wii, gameshows involving feces and choking people to death, etc. I've honestly stopped looking into what people over there like, to preserve sanity.

Edited by Pendragon

• 5 months later...