Binaural Recordings

Mom

Binaural recordings simulate true surround sound by using a precise recording method through a dummy's head that realistically attenuates the way we hear sound around us everyday. All you need is a pair of regular stereo headphones and enjoy the virtual experience. The more detailed, accurate and larger natural soundstage the headphone has, the better.

Makes me wish more artists would have special binaural versions of their albums.

Why? Sounds gimmicky to me.

For headphones, it would help get rid of the 'in-head' crowded soundstage most of them have with most types of recordings. The type of headphone and its driver qualities go a long way in helping their soundstage, but the different type of recordings in different songs go even a further way in helping soundstage depth, and also more realistic imaging for each instrument in a song. This could just be another way of natural recording that helps such imaging.

Think of it this way. Most music is designed for regular speaker arrays. This is the exact opposite, and designed for stereo headphones. There's nothing gimmicky about it, just a different recording style for different listening style.

I think that all this shows is that we are realy in vats but we are brains in vats with headphones inside a computer with a vat that is suspended above with a crack in it about to tip over and fry the circuts which will fry us all.

I guess you can't do this without headphones, which sucks cause I don't have any that I know will work.

would my ps3 logitech headpone/mic work or is that not the right thing because it lacks both chanels?

Edited by exogen

• 3 weeks later...
naturespace is also another neat little experience with binaural-type recording meant for headphones as well. On the demo section for the full-spectrum, you can pretty much pinpoint the distance and height the birds are from your head, hear direction the water is, and hear sound circle around your head and above your head in close proximity near the end.