Kerbal Space Program

Artdeux

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a small prototype space station (100 parts), which I can place in orbit around any planet relatively easily, and a large space station (2000 parts) in the making that will be reserved for Kerbin (Kerbal Earth) or the Mun (Kerbin's major moon). I'm not sure yet where I want to place it, though it'll probably go around Kerbin. I'm thinking that I might instead place it at a Lagrange point on Kerbin's orbit and use it as a station for the entire Kerbolar system (Kerbin solar system).

Stations are nice in that they serve as refueling points, Kerbal storage, orbital parking for spacecraft, and good transit points for spaceships. They may eventually get future purposes in later updates too.

I also have some satellites in orbit, a set of jets reminiscent of the F-15 and F-22, an SSTO plane that can deliver very small payloads into space, and some other random junk like a working model of the XGP-15A2 but it's not red and isn't scaled well. I'll eventually work on building some rovers and stuff too.

Going to the Mun is staple to the game, though I haven't done it yet either because it's not really something I'm interested in. I basically completely skipped that step. I can do it on stream by request though if someone wants. It'd probably only take like 30min. Anyway, the free demo of the game has all the parts necessary to build a rocket and moon lander that can take you to the Mun and back. It also has the Mun, though that and Kerbol (the Sun) are the only celestial bodies in the demo other than Kerbin. Kerbin's second moon and all the other planets are missing in the demo.

Going to the Mun is actually relatively easy, as is putting things into orbit. The issue is that people tend to put too many things on their rockets. What you want to do is build a super minimalistic rocket and test fly it without adjustments to its design. After a few flights you'll start to the get hang of just how much you really need to lift yourself into orbit. You'd be amazed how many people build rockets that are 100+ parts just to get into orbit. I've seen them reach up around 500+ parts with all kinds of complex staging just to orbit. You can do it in like 10 parts or less. Once you're in orbit, getting to any celestial body is generally REALLY easy. Getting into orbit is the hard part, the rest can be done with a can of Pepsi for fuel and a squirt gun as an engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xXh5pwvY20

• 3 weeks later...

http://imgur.com/a/Ee68e#0

just some basic stuff i have done in game. Heck i went to the mun over 30 times in the demo alone.

I also have a 300+ part station an amphibious rover and a plane that can go over 2.111 m/s @ 31.000 (and yes that rover on that purple sand.... that's eve. yes i have gone to other planets.)

just saying.

hurm hum .........noobs

Edited by Tidus Klein

Going to Eve is pretty easy, yeah. More so with modded parts. Like I said in my earlier post, most of the difficulty of the game revolves around simply getting into orbit around Kerbin.

If you want to brag about being not a noob though, you'll have to at least make a modless, mechjebless Eve landing and return craft/system and successfully fly all of it. That's really about the only thing in the game that carries any significant difficulty nowadays. Mostly due to the mission and stage planning that goes into it, though somewhat due to rocket design and flight.

Ever since they added in the maneuver point system and super buff ASAS most of the difficulty of the game has been wiped out though. Hopefully adding in tech-trees in the next patch will help give the game some difficulty though, since people can set tech limits more easily and then compete under those limits.

PS I only use modes for the plane parts(because it gives you cargo bays). I dont have any for crazy over powered rockets nor do i use infina fuel or this crazy cheating mod called mechjeb if your to incompetent to fly what you make you need to start smaller.

Going to Eve is pretty easy, yeah. More so with modded parts. Like I said in my earlier post, most of the difficulty of the game revolves around simply getting into orbit around Kerbin.

If you want to brag about being not a noob though, you'll have to at least make a modless, mechjebless Eve landing and return craft/system and successfully fly all of it. That's really about the only thing in the game that carries any significant difficulty nowadays. Mostly due to the mission and stage planning that goes into it, though somewhat due to rocket design and flight.

Ever since they added in the maneuver point system and super buff ASAS most of the difficulty of the game has been wiped out though. Hopefully adding in tech-trees in the next patch will help give the game some difficulty though, since people can set tech limits more easily and then compete under those limits.

UU I did that before I even had mods theirs no modes on that one. http://imgur.com/a/jg8qe#0

The last four is the launch vehicle for that rover on eve, ( I was still new to the game back then and never really needed all that RCS.)

Edited by Tidus Klein

A rover is not a landing and return system. That's one-way.

A landing and return system is a rocket or set of rockets/stations that allow a live Kerbal you send to Eve (and that lands safely on Eve) to get back to Kerbin. Generally the idea is that the Kerbal gets out and plants a flag and then the rocket takes back off from Eve, achieves orbit, and then you get that Kerbal back home to Kerbin. You land, and then you return.

Eve is basically the "hardest" planet to do this on, though when I set up my Kerbin-Eve transit system it only took a few hours effort. Still, it's the only thing left in the game since the addition of maneuver nodes that has any significant semblance of difficulty.

I do find it entertaining that you called nob (Bakuhatsu Pengin) a noob though, considering I highly doubt you could replicate some of the stuff he has done. He has linked twitch videos of him making and flying a giant AC and a giant penguin, albeit he didn't do them well cuz he's a dumb pengin.