Borderlands 2

Bakuhatsu Pengin

if you havent heard already, gearbox will be releasing a sequel to borderlands (an rpg featuring "over 1 million weapons," a large free-roam world, and lots of bad guys to shoot)

heres some info!

As promised, following last-week's announcement that Borderlands 2 is in the works, some new information about post-apocalyptic shooter sequel has been revealed. Rather than returning to planet Pandora for another projectile-filled adventure with Mordecai, Lilith, Brick, and Roland, the article reveals that there will be four new characters to choose from. Salvador, the dwarven Gunzerker who can dual-wield any two weapons is a prime example. The motley crew from the first game will, however, make non-playable appearances.

Enthusiast site Gamenyusu has cobbled together a large list of bullet-points summarizing the new tidbits revealed in the article by Game Informer, noting that the artificial intelligence for both enemies and non-playable-characters will be improved in the sequel. NPC's won't simply be rooted to the same location all the time, and will engage the player in interactive conversations. Borderlands 2 also promises more varied enemy-types which will interact with each other more intelligently in combat.

The series metallic mascot, Claptrap, seems to be returning as well, along with the 3-tiered skill tree for player progression. As one would expect, vehicles also return to the wasteland, but co-oppers will be pleased to note that at least one of the new rides is a four-seater. No word whether or not the four-seater is the same vehicle that debuted in the premium Borderlands DLC "The Secret Armory of General Knoxx."

Borderlands 2 will also introduce a multi-purpose element called Eridium, which factors in as both currency and as a stat-enhancer for weapons and vehicles. Speaking of weapons, there won't be any carry-over from the first game. A variety of in-game weapon manufacturers will provide their own weapon enhancements, decals, styling, and colors. Pickups that provide temporary buffs will also add to the gun stew.

Borderlands 2 is planned for a 2013 release, and we'll be sure to keep an eye out for more details as they become available.

via

kotaku screens

teaser

official website (with nothing really there)

IM GETTING THIS FOR PS3 IF YOU ARE CHODE

Edited by noob

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had already heard. I was interested, considering. When it came down to it though, I never felt Borderlands had replayability without DLC, and I never did end up getting the DLC. So.... I just hope Borderlands 2 does indeed have more enemy/scenery variation, because that is why I sold the first one away: After you beat the game twice, all you could do was grind all the maps for new guns, and that got boring after like the 10th time killing the exact same set of enemies. Edited by Vincent210

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I was researching about this, but I haven't heard of it, until recently. Actually pleased that I can have an above average interest in a shooter other than Unreal Tournament. This seems like I can get into it, so I will buy the first one, second later. Edited by Lygophilia

• 2 months later...

Looking back, I never understood why people loved Borderlands. Enemies didn't even recoil when they got shot. They just ate it. It was some of the dullest FPS combat in the world and it rode out on the four player co-op and tons'o'guns advertising without actually having significant quality in its combat whatsoever!

However, I saw a giant robot recoil from being hit. I'm now interested. Unless that was scripted. Then I'll be annoyed.

It's not unique to have enemies not recoil from being shot. Doom, Marathon, back when FPS games were new, enemies didn't recoil from being shot. Then Goldeneye came along and had enemies get their torsos pushed back a little in certain directions when shot. And games would continue the simple version of recoiling, even Halo to Halo Reach.

And then Rage came out and shooting someone anywhere while they were doing anything would result in a super specific fluent animation of being flung back by their arm, tripping forward and rolling when their leg was pushed back, even falling back without always dying when blasted in the chest with a shotgun.

To not even have flinching at this day in age isn't trying to be unique. It's avoiding putting more detail into your game and making combat more realistic and fluent. And these two go hand in hand quite often. So without fluent combat, then how is the game any different from red block shoots blue block with green block gun, when everything is just a moving block?

Edited by Obscure

Apparently recoil = game quality

Honestly though, you go questing for guns with up to 3 friends. There's really nothing to it. It's just a nice fun chillax kind of game where you go fuck monsters up. It's really ok to just not have to worry about anything sometimes and Borderlands was one of those games.

It's the same reason I'm going to go pick up SSX tomorrow. Is it going to be a good game? Probably not. I imagine it's going to be the same exact experience I had years ago on PS2. However, bitches gotta chill sometime.

Be a gamer for once and not such a critic.

Edited by Rachis

I just feel like you dislike certain games for the wrong reasons. Borderlands isn't about realism whatsoever. It's about farming for good guns and managing your skills in a colorful world with colorful opponents. If you really cared about guns behaving like guns then Borderlands just isn't for you and you should be playing more realistic shooters. Same with fighters. I realize that every fighting game, that I'm aware of, has a story attached to it. However, these stories shouldn't be the focus of the experience. Fighters need to be more about the mechanics and characters. If you want a story then you should be playing an rpg and not a fighter.

My whole point is simply focusing on what's important with the particular games you choose to play. If you go into a game expecting the wrong things then you are just setting yourself up for failure and ruining the experience on your own. Trying to play a fantasy shooter and expecting the guns to behave like real guns baffles me. The fantasy shooter was obviously not geared towards realism. I assume you know what I'm getting at.

By no means do I believe that paying attention to details is not important. I just believe your expectations of games in general is applied incorrectly.

If I wanted to farm, there are plenty of MMOs that you can play instead of backpedal for hours on end while managing skills in colorful worlds with colorful opponents. And it's so nice that Blazblue has the most appealing mechanics and a fantastic story behind it too.

Sorry for focusing games as a whole, rather than using tunnel vision to focus only on what's good. :3c

@ Ninety

I had a basically identical experience with Borderlands 1. I would like to think #2 is just that plus such replay-ability and shinier, more fluid animation; or basically the only two things that Borderlands was missing that mattered. If that happens to be the case it's nearly guaranteed I'll pick it up.

Regardless how boring this sounds, I call Axton. He looks like just what I was looking for. Having infinite everything (ammo, health, etc.) as a soldier was fun before, and it made duels fun. It felt almost like a handicap when dueling as Soldier, what with the other three classes having abilities that basically insta-fried someone while I get.... a turret. When I look back I'm amazed I somehow won the majority of my duels.

So yeah. Moar turret funzies I bet.