Smoking

SUMERIAN BLOOD GOD

It's from the ZOE anime. Either Dolores, i or Idolo. I can't really be sure, as I've never seen either... I just recognize the LEV Unit. Shoot me in the fucking face.

Hm. I myself am a vocalist (two octave range, baritone and bass, prefer bass, good falsetto as well[/bragging]), and I've been smoking and drinking for years. It's honestly not had any negative effects on my voice. It's not so much the quality of your voice that you should be worried about, as much as it is your lung capacity. But drinking, that's the bitch. Look at Jim Morrison; he had the only good voice of all the singers from the late sixties and by L.A. Woman he was basically just a big fat drunk with a microphone and a hoarse voice.

Would you not have started singing after you took up smoking, though? Believe me, it has a very significant effect on your voice. It's less detrimental to some than others, but it definitely makes its mark. Both my bassist and my lead guitarist used to smoke (my lead guitarist still finds excuses to smoke on and off, and it drives me fucking insane), and both have noted what an impact it had on their singing when they quit. It's not just the lung capacity, it's projection and tonal clarity as well. I'm not saying "hey, you're a vocalist, quit smoking;" do whatever you do, man. However, if you really take your singing seriously, I'd suggest quitting or at least cutting back.

About your range, I think you're a tad misinformed. Baritone/bass doesn't refer to your vocal range, it refers to your timbre. For instance, a male baritone can never be a tenor, just as a female contralto can never be a mezzo-soprano. I'd say it's more likely you're a baritone or even a low tenor, as bass is one of the least common vocal types. Hell, my voice is fairly deep and I'd still say I'm only a tenor, though I've never had any formal training to affirm that.

No offense, by the way, but good falsetto is kind of negligible. It's pretty much as simple as just "go completely balls out and squeal at the top of your lungs," and odds are you'll have a convincing falsetto. While we're on the brag wagon, though (let's face it, everyone likes to flaunt what they've got a little bit here and there), I've got almost three full octaves of natural range and perfect natural vibrato. Shit yeah, two years of hard work in all its splendor.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you not have started singing after you took up smoking, though? Believe me, it has a very significant effect on your voice. It's less detrimental to some than others, but it definitely makes its mark. Both my bassist and my lead guitarist used to smoke (my lead guitarist still finds excuses to smoke on and off, and it drives me fucking insane), and both have noted what an impact it had on their singing when they quit. It's not just the lung capacity, it's projection and tonal clarity as well. I'm not saying "hey, you're a vocalist, quit smoking;" do whatever you do, man. However, if you really take your singing seriously, I'd suggest quitting or at least cutting back.

I'm not denying that it fucks up some voices. It's just had a really minimal effect on mine.

About your range, I think you're a tad misinformed. Baritone/bass doesn't refer to your vocal range, it refers to your timbre. For instance, a male baritone can never be a tenor, just as a female contralto can never be a mezzo-soprano. I'd say it's more likely you're a baritone or even a low tenor, as bass is one of the least common vocal types. Hell, my voice is fairly deep and I'd still say I'm only a tenor, though I've never had any formal training to affirm that.

There are baritone and bass vocal ranges, thus baritone and bass notes. Bass notes are E2-E4, baritone notes F2-F4. Singing naturally, where it is most comfortable, I sing bass. I can push it and hit the baritone notes, but I prefer singing bass since it feels more natural too me.

No offense, by the way, but good falsetto is kind of negligible. It's pretty much as simple as just "go completely balls out and squeal at the top of your lungs," and odds are you'll have a convincing falsetto.

Good falsetto is a pain in the ass. It does seem negligible, since a lot of people can do well singing in falsetto, but you'll find more people singing in really cracky/flat/generally low quality falsettos with a borderline inability to really even annunciate. Falsetto is a novelty, but it doesn't really hurt to let people know if you're a good falsettist. Good falsetto is the closest thing in tonal quality to something that they used to cut your fucking balls off to produce. But, like I said, it's really just a novelty.

----------------

So, back to smoking. Not getting cancer is for pussies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, if you didn't know, I got a PHX Trinity style dual-perc bong.

I recently went out to buy some screens (haven't had any in a while, bong has a big hole and sucks stuff in).

Bought some .815mm brass screens.

Ten bowls through the bong later, same screen still perfectly fine, just dirty.

Usually screens (steel ones) melt after 2-3 bowls, if not the first one outright.

These things are still flexible, cleanable, reusable, after over a dozen bowls.

Shit is cash.

Also collecting resin to make a hash ball of goodness.

SMOKER'S PROTIP: Brass screens = epic, no taste, no melted metal in your lungs, no shit flying through your device of choice (bongs being more important to have screens just due to sheer air flow, especially mine)

Edited by Enganacious

SmokeStik - The electric cigarette.

It's a rechargeable "cigarette" that uses airflow generated by dragging on a cartridge filled with water and nicotine to charge an atomizer that turns the waternictotine into a vapor that looks like smoke. One cartridge equals roughly 30 cigarettes and won't give you cancer, since it's vapor, not smoke. Plus, since it's not smoke, and not a tobacco product, I can do this in any building I please and everyone can suck my balls.

It's marketed as a quitting aid. I can see that working, since it's really apparent to anyone making the transition that this is not really comparable to smoking an actual cigarette. The smoke like vapor does not taste like smoke (which I vote as a good thing), but it doesn't FEEL anything like smoke. It scratches at the opening of your throat a little bit, and that's it. Aside from that it feels like you're just inhaling boring old air. And despite the fact I've been dragging on this thing all day with the fury of a vacuum on meth, I'd still punch a puppy for an actual cigarette. The max amount of nicotine they offer in the cartridges is not matching my nicotine requirements. Which pisses me off, because I don't want to walk around with puppypunching rage. I want to smoke and not get cancer.

But hey, I can do this in restaurants, on airplanes and in office buildings. There's that. It's just not really subbing for the real thing like every asshole on Earth wants you to think.

Edited by Lenin

Most smokers go their whole lives never contracting any horrible disease that can be attributed to their smoking. It's just that once people hear en masse "this shit has been known to give people cancer", that's pretty much the label it's stuck with, since it's a lot easier to explain than "some people get cancer from doing this, but most people just look a lot cooler, though smoking shouldn't necessarily be condoned. You're more likely to get cancer from genetics than a cigarette, actually... But seriously, don't smoke."

SmokeStik - The electric cigarette.

It's a rechargeable "cigarette" that uses airflow generated by dragging on a cartridge filled with water and nicotine to charge an atomizer that turns the waternictotine into a vapor that looks like smoke. One cartridge equals roughly 30 cigarettes and won't give you cancer, since it's vapor, not smoke. Plus, since it's not smoke, and not a tobacco product, I can do this in any building I please and everyone can suck my balls.

It's marketed as a quitting aid. I can see that working, since it's really apparent to anyone making the transition that this is not really comparable to smoking an actual cigarette. The smoke like vapor does not taste like smoke (which I vote as a good thing), but it doesn't FEEL anything like smoke. It scratches at the opening of your throat a little bit, and that's it. Aside from that it feels like you're just inhaling boring old air. And despite the fact I've been dragging on this thing all day with the fury of a vacuum on meth, I'd still punch a puppy for an actual cigarette. The max amount of nicotine they offer in the cartridges is not matching my nicotine requirements. Which pisses me off, because I don't want to walk around with puppypunching rage. I want to smoke and not get cancer.

But hey, I can do this in restaurants, on airplanes and in office buildings. There's that. It's just not really subbing for the real thing like every asshole on Earth wants you to think.

Disregard that shit. The cartridge I was using wasn't working right or something. I swapped it out and now this thing is goddamn amazing. I will never smoke a tobacco product again.

Edited by Lenin

E-cigs are for E-smokers, and I have never done ecstasy.

Fuck it.

~

Gotta get ready to make some bubble hash and other things, plotting, planning.

Also, anyone want a vid of me hitting 2 bongs (1 little one, 1 PHX Trinity 24") in 1 breathe?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last night I had the bright idea to smoke some salvia after I took my sleeping pill (which sometimes makes me hallucinate) and go to sleep while tripping balls.

I had one of the most vivid dreams I've ever had this morning. It was also pretty graphic. Dudes were getting sliced in half with samurai swords and heads were blasted by snipers. I don't really remember why any of this was happening but I took out a lot of people while I rode this demon horse with a naked chick on the back. Pretty dope!

John, you need to meet a friend of mine.

He's got like 14 books filled with shit he remembers from his dreams, the guy has lucid dreaming naturally I guess.

He told me once about a dream where Hitler was giving out free mayonnaise and giants where fighting with mushrooms.

• 2 months later...