SoulCalibur V

Bakuhatsu Pengin

As much as I like watching Zwei players play, I have a hard time setting up traps, which is key, because all his moves are mediocre with the exception on A+B and K. I want to learn DJ and Nightmare for now precisely because they are polar opposites. Just want to switch up some playstyles. I want to learn Aeon, Yoshi, and Zwei eventually though, but not now. I will go through all of Nightmare's moves tonight. After watching some videos of NM, he seems pretty cheap online, but not at the higher levels. Pretty much the SF4 Ken of SC5.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yoshi is very high execution at a high level since his big combos include JF aB+K and his JF 2aB, which can be hard to do online

your nm analogy is spot on D:

and aeon is pretty much nightmare without the huge range. you still play tons of spacing and poking with rushdown opportunities and big wall combos, but both lack mix-ups and generally end up being pretty unsafe. they also have great RO game

so if you learn nm and apply his style to aeon it shouldnt take too long getting used to him

This is the button mapping I use for Yosh.

A B K B+G

G B+K N/A N/A

That makes Manji Fist and Parting Thrust a lot easier to execute since you get an easy slide. Manji Fist will come out with 2 AB+K so your execution of the two moves will be identical. I can get Parting Thrust to come out everytime. It's really only useful after launch to push towards edge. Following up with Crying Sword is guaranteed. It does more damage 3B > 6K. Manji Fist is not entirely necessary for you game as it's mostly used in Yosh's highest damage wall combos. However, being able to pull that move off reliably seriously boosts your ability to interrupt your opponent.

Edited by Rachis

btw if you people are bored and want to watch some mid-level sc5 play, check out this stream

its generally on 24/7 with the exception of a few hours of some weird imo game in the mornings

though sometimes there are pro players who roflstomp the lobby for 10 wins until another pro player shows up

So basically, Natsu is getting a nerf, among other things.

I am beginning to like this control setup for my arcade stick:

[A][K][-]

[G][-][-][-]

Basically, the original arcade controls. Thanks to Rachis for reminding me of it. Feels much more natural.

I also made Cassy's SC2 P2 costume for Pyrrha. I am really liking her and Nightmare. Hopefully, neither gets the nerf stick.

The only thing I can really see being nerfed about Nightmare is his movement speed. For a character with his power and reach he can move pretty well. He moves better than Patroklos and is about even with Yosh. Makes fighting him a bit of a nuisance for me. Although admittedly I feel like it's a better matchup with Pat.

I have serious issues with Alpha Pat, but it's just a moveset recognition thing. I don't feel like any of the characters are too strong save for Natsu. Her damage potential is insane, but I feel like she doesn't play defense well at all so I've never really cared too much.

Edited by Rachis

This reminds me, I need to learn how to time my Just Guards.

I really hope the developers are getting advice from professional players rather than cries from the public. I don't even like nerfs, except in the extreme cases. Buffs are okay. If Capcom tried to nerf Chun for 3SO, that may have irked me a little, and I don't even use her. I think I might feel the same for Natsu. But I am not good at this game either. lol

i think they said that they wanted to wait for the results of major tournaments before they did anything to balance (ie FRXV)

im pretty much with rachis on this as well

the only thing i feel that absolutely needs a nerf atm is natsus air grab damage. i dont get why it is that high if it is guaranteed out of a low and requires no meter.

nightmare could definitely use either movespeed reduction or less knockback on his attacks, most likely the former

other stuff i would like to see buffed/nerfed, but that list is not necessary

try to sidestep apat more often. iirc he doesnt have that great of an anti-step game

i like how they left zwei alone for the most part

aeon buffs may seem light but they basically strengthened his best moves. his grab range was already very far so it may now rival astaroths

maxi and leixia nerfs are hilarious

nightmare was left alone for the most part, which idk how to feel about yet given general buffs

jesus fucking tira

asta buffs ;(

ivy buffs ;)

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING TO HILDE HOLYSHIT

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3rp4m-ass

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) - Possibly the best board game since Key to the Kingdom. Can be played with three to six people. The game is pretty balanced. None of the house seems overpowered, as I have seen them all won at some points. My favorite house is the Greyjoy (We Do Not Sow). Lots of tension, anger, frustration, alliance, betrayal, and fun. Very chaotic with six players. I highly recommend buying this game if you have a playgroup that likes these kind of games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlfAQ33YE1A

Edited by Honest Frank