Making ACs a Reality

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you could put guns instead of a head and arms

and then you'd have this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Bmpt_REA_2009.jpg

Well that's probably far more powerful, but on a scale of badassness... I'd rather have AC Tanks.

http://www.mechadamashii.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/acv_tank2.jpg

I'm genuinely surprised this topic went on this long.

An AC, as pointed out billions of times before on this thread, would be impossible by any and every means. However, what could be theoretically useful as a distraction and/or intimidator is to have a hologram of a giant ass robot. That's about the only use I could come up with for an "AC", if even a hologram of that nature is possible.

I say just stick to tried-and-true military warfare systems and general ballistics.

Oooo my god that tank was already posted!!! Go back and look at my response! Instead of this! Read the topic over again and you well see most of this has already stated so go back and read!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I reposted it because it's a clear example that you don't need retarded arms and a head on a military vehicle to have it carry weapons, you just put the weapons on instead of fucking worthless appendages and put the sensors on the weapons. The BMPT is modular, relatively compact, designed to operate in an urban environment and to support main battle tanks, and is cost-effective because the Russians had the great idea of just slapping the weapons system on top of the chassis of a T-72 because it's cheaper and easier maintenance-wise than designing a whole new body for it.

Here, have another weapon system thrown on top of a T-72 chassis, the TOS-1 thermobaric multiple rocket launch system.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/%D0%A2%D0%9E%D0%A1-1%D0%90_%D0%91%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BE_%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%B8_%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B0_4.5.2010.jpg

Go to a combat zone and tell me you'd want to pilot a "mech" considering the real-world implications of what it's capabilities would be, if you do, you're insane.

In order for a "mech" to be mobile enough to be a viable asset, it cannot have armor on par with a modern tank. It would have also be unable to support the level of firepower found on a tank, at least in any bipedal configuration, because a tank's base is incredibly stable; meaning the 120mm gun on an M1 Abrams would have too much recoil to realistically be used on a "mech". If even a "mech" could have a 120mm gun, that would really be the practical limit of it's firepower.

Then consider the fires missions and roles it would fulfill in combat.

It's obviously not going to be as capable as mortar teams or artillery in terms of ground based fire support, or as flexible as CAS (close air support). It would be limited in the ground sense by it's locomotion, meaning it cannot be used in a quick-reaction force sense like helicopter gunships and helicopters loaded with light infantry or response teams can be. It cannot cover the same area of battle that any of the numerous options in CAS (Apaches, Predators, AC-130, Pavelow, Cobra, F-16, etc..).

This basically reduces it to somewhere between a ground infantry unit/mechanized infantry unit. It's not going to be as capable in urban environments obviously because of physical restrictions on what is able to traverse threw a city. Let's not forget that it's a giant target for RPG fire as well as IEDs. It would not be as functional as a tank unit in providing armor support to ground forces, as bipedal or quadrupedal locomotion won't be as efficient at engaging fire maneuvers. It also will be heavily restricted by terrain. While tanks cannot function in the mountains, tanks are effective in swamps and muddy environments, as well as deserts. A "mech" would run into huge problems anywhere soft soil is present, and would also be hard pressed to be functional at all in mountainous environments as well.

So essentially you have a walking mechanical break-down (because the kinds of mechanics required for "mech" movement are not real hardy) that requires fuel support like any other vehicle, that isn't as fast, and cannot provide you with a novel envelope of firepower. Throw in that they'd be incredibly costly, and easy pickings on a battlefield littered with anti-tank weapons like the RPG-7 that can defeat upwards of 700mm of hard-rolled armor and explosive reactive armor.

I'd be hard pressed to see any functional role, at all.

Plus, they'd just fall over.

As far as PS1/PS2 AC's go, they'd be totally defunct and outclassed by already existing military weaponry. AC4/fA AC's are something different. Unlike Modern Military weaponry, their generators possess virtually infinite energy. Limitations are only based on what the mech can do over a small period of time. As far as mobility, it doesn't possess quite the raw speed of a jet, but its overedboost feature has it going pretty fast. It can range from 750mph to 1200mph. However it does possess much more agility as jets cannot move like an AC, going in any direction. It also cannot "quickboost" instantly in any direction. Besides the harrier/hoverjets, jets also can't hover or continually fly vertically without going forward.

As far as defense goes, and the way AC4/fA depicts defense (in game, not in cutscene), it is pretty much impregnable. The "Primal Armor" "force field" consists of special particles called "Kojima Particles" that, when colliding with each other, become solid. Most ballistics cannot get through even that. And if you were to go into testing/VS and just sit there and let the enemy AC pound on you, you'll see that the AC takes QUITE a beating from things like machineguns, rifles, missiles, lasers, laser blades, grenades, sniper cannons, railguns, etc. Said weapons are also what AC's use. Highly advanced weaponry. Judging by the high amount of ammo your typical rifle or machinegun holds in AC4/fA, I'd say they can't be that big of a caliber. However, the lasers are a weapon that would annihilate any military vehicle.

As far as the game goes, everything about these AC's are covered. The G-force, armor, powerplant, control system, balance, etc., are all "addressed".

However, all the shit I said is completely useless in the real world, with real physics, with real technology. That is everyone's point. You cannot balance a bipedal machine like that, and why make a bipedal machine in the first place? Energy of that level hasn't been produced yet. The only thing that comes close to that energy is fusion, which we are nowhere near replicating/containing/harnessing/etc.

The G-forces of such instantaneous movement like quickboost are fatal. Kojima particles do not exist. Armor that thin and light to allow such mobility will surely be frail, unless there's some badass alloy/metal compound that's undiscovered. The sensors do not cover ranges on the level of our modern sensors. It attracts way too much attention on the battlefield. Even if ACs COULD be produced on that level, its cost would be...incomprehensible. It'd sit there as a blueprint, with its technology benefiting the simpler, tested, less expensive, improvable designs.

Every notion of an AC is....stupid. Looks badass on a game and we should keep it that way. The laws of physics, current level of technology, theoretical level of technology, and common sense will always have serious people laugh at AC's.

It also will be heavily restricted by terrain. While tanks cannot function in the mountains, tanks are effective in swamps and muddy environments, as well as deserts. A "mech" would run into huge problems anywhere soft soil is present, and would also be hard pressed to be functional at all in mountainous environments as well.

..............Sooooooo your saying hover-legged AC's are gonna make a comeback? lol

Nah I agree that real AC's wouldn't have arms on them, but rather have the arm guns in previous gens. AC's would also have to be as small (or smaller) as ACV AC's to be cost-efficient and mobile. But no matter what you say, one thing is true: Japan is going to try it's hardest to make it work. All that robotic work isn't for nothing.

Edited by Duronix

Hopefully everyone's seen this as it's old enough, now, but here's the closest thing we got in a mech. The miniguns aren't real but certainly can be. However, this thing wouldn't last two seconds in combat. Looks cool, though. "Functional" to a degree.

Come let me know when that happens, then explain how they'll survive fire from small, similarly-powered energy weapons systems.

I don't think you read all of my post.

I go from that to this,

"As far as the game goes, everything about these AC's are covered. The G-force, armor, powerplant, control system, balance, etc., are all "addressed".

"However, all the shit I said is completely useless in the real world, with real physics, with real technology. That is everyone's point. You cannot balance a bipedal machine like that, and why make a bipedal machine in the first place? Energy of that level hasn't been produced yet. The only thing that comes close to that energy is fusion, which we are nowhere near replicating/containing/harnessing/etc."

to eventually this,

"Every notion of an AC is....stupid. Looks badass on a game and we should keep it that way. The laws of physics, current level of technology, theoretical level of technology, and common sense will always have serious people laugh at AC's."

Along with the fact that I already mentioned that tested military systems are basically perfect for what they were developed for. I just wanted to distinguish to the hopefuls the difference of an AC's ability in the games to how they would fail in real life with physics and better weapons around.

Edited by Hyde