Making ACs a Reality

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These were in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Why are they talking about loading palettes? They are supposed to be wielding heavy weapons and the suit concepts they concocted look gay, what is wrong with these people?

I'd harass these "men" with little Quadrotors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWiHG7ji8YM&feature=related

Edited by Nomrah

I don't know if the original poster is even looking at this anymore.

But...I'm a writer, I write mecha novels etc, and I still know that they are not realistic in the slightest. They should stay in fantasy, they're enjoyable in a what if scenario for the form of entertainment, but outside of that...no way in hell.

This entire topic is reminding me of the kid going super saiyan. The whole "if we believe it we can make it happen and bypass all laws of physics" concept.

Man, you should listen to the people who actually have degrees and studied engineering and aerodynamics. The difference between you and them is this

-You have no understanding of how these things really work. So you're going from a complete imagination stand point. And in your imagination anything can work.

-They are coming from the standpoint of "Oh...so that's how these things go together and work. They work in taking ideas and convert them to reality. And in order to do that they ask these simple questions they've asked you.

It's not a matter of destroying your dream. It's a matter of reality. Don't think that just because this is an "AC" forum that everyone will share the naive concept or dream of mecha =/.

Edited by Azure Knight

At most with tech we have now, I can see robots being small guys made to face light weapons and assist infantry. I'm sure a small mech with a good vantage point, targeting system, and a sniper rifle could wreck some infantry (I figure targeting systems are or at least will become better than human eyes).

Armored Cores from the games are possible because of superior metals used that can defend against giant tank blasts while being relatively lightweight, and an unknown energy source made from their generators that lets them move so quickly. If we had this unknown energy source and those metals, they could be used for more powerful jets and tanks too. However, if a tank could move as fast as an AC in game then it would be more like a hovertank, lol.

Though if we had the tech and materials they should instead make an Arkbird that can just wreck anything from space down, lol.

At most with tech we have now, I can see robots being small guys made to face light weapons and assist infantry. I'm sure a small mech with a good vantage point, targeting system, and a sniper rifle could wreck some infantry (I figure targeting systems are or at least will become better than human eyes).

Armored Cores from the games are possible because of superior metals used that can defend against giant tank blasts while being relatively lightweight, and an unknown energy source made from their generators that lets them move so quickly. If we had this unknown energy source and those metals, they could be used for more powerful jets and tanks too. However, if a tank could move as fast as an AC in game then it would be more like a hovertank, lol.

Though if we had the tech and materials they should instead make an Arkbird that can just wreck anything from space down, lol.

All of these would just fall over. Waste of technology.

Mechs will never happen, maybe powered suits but not mechs, unless we have to do some crazy Evangelion stuff. I think the idea of using a biological creature like Godzilla or something sounds less crazy than making a straight up giant robot.

Mechs are just a fantasy. So when people start talking about them I feel they should clarify the capabilities of a mech in the same way you try to explain how a Super Saiyan gets more powerful after you beat him up.

Same thing goes for Zombies and every other SUPERCOOL thing we know will never really exist.

Oh and This is going to be the next AC game

http://youtu.be/HLAbTbGQcr8

Edited by Ogawa Lou

This entire topic is reminding me of the kid going super saiyan. The whole "if we believe it we can make it happen and bypass all laws of physics" concept.

Man, you should listen to the people who actually have degrees and studied engineering and aerodynamics. The difference between you and them is this

-You have no understanding of how these things really work. So you're going from a complete imagination stand point. And in your imagination anything can work.

-They are coming from the standpoint of "Oh...so that's how these things go together and work. They work in taking ideas and convert them to reality. And in order to do that they ask these simple questions they've asked you.

Im studying to become a mechanical engineer so its not like Im not listening to what theyre saying, I just havent encountered some of this stuff.

Anyhow everyone's criticism raised important question and Im constructing a model with my professors at school. Its taking longer than I thought so Ill try to put it up when its done but I got nothing but ideas for now. Though it truly is amazing to see how dearly people on the forum oppose the thought of a real robotic suit. Everyone's pretty much said its a no go but the model Im working on is feasible though. Like it wont move like a armored core but it moves. Anyhow, robots are jst beginning to be adapted by the militaries for armed combat and we're just breaking the ice so yeah, I cant say we'd see armored core flying around, ever. But unmaned robots are starting to take the battlefields and maybe some day, armed suits will too. Anyhow, Im gonna stop talking till I can put up the model.

Though it truly is amazing to see how dearly people on the forum oppose the thought of a real robotic suit. Everyone's pretty much said its a no go but the model Im working on is feasible though. Like it wont move like a armored core but it moves. Anyhow, robots are jst beginning to be adapted by the militaries for armed combat and we're just breaking the ice so yeah, I cant say we'd see armored core flying around, ever. But unmaned robots are starting to take the battlefields and maybe some day, armed suits will too. Anyhow, Im gonna stop talking till I can put up the model.

Nobody here are opposed to robots. I am just opposed to robotic humanoids because there are no inherent advantages for bipeds. Will that opinion change in the future? Anything is possible, but you just have to persuade me with a concrete argument. A robotic suits may be viable but the returns are simple not worth the price tag at the moment. As far as robots goes, why not go with four or more legs for stability other than a greater surface area coverage? What advantages does legs provide that wheels or tracks doesn't? Why not combine legs with wheels/tracks?

http://i.imgur.com/SfeyO.jpg

Edited by Honest Frank