Great Idea?

Aschen

I'm loving Armored Core 5...or V..whatever you wanna call it...But recently I got pulld back to play another game I love...Battlefield 3. And then I thought...wouldnt it be great if Armored Core had the same destructive environments as BF3? Sniper on a building you can't hit? Just destroy the building. Light mech abusing cover? Destroy th cover.

Yeah, thats what I said they should do when ACV was first announced. Although at this point after playing it, the game moves kind of fast for my original ideas to really take effect. I wouldn't mind being able to blow up the bridges in the city level though, that shits annoying. Edited by Nomrah

The game already chugs along in some areas as it is, destructible environments would kill it. Blame it on the incredibly weak hardware in the 360/PS3 (these days, the systems would work better as museum pieces than actual entertainment systems).

Destructible environments would be a great idea, but unless you were to build this game on the PC, or wait until the next console generation, there just isn't enough processing power going around to make it happen.

Edited by White Light/White Heat

Then there's the problem they had with fA of making environments too destructible, where buildings collapse if you glance at it hard enough. I'd rather have consistent indestructible cover than completely useless cover. Might as well hide your AC behind a wet cardboard box. Edited by Griffon

Best current-gen example of destruction physics is still Red Faction: Guerrilla, and they built the entire game engine around that functionality.

Battlefield 3 does destruction well, but it's mostly scripted. If an Armored Core game had well-scripted destructible elements, that would be awesome. Unfortunately, ACFA proved that's not always easy to achieve.

Here's to next gen armored core being perfection then. I like how the environment is a much larger factor in the gameplay than it was in earlier games. Obstacles end up becoming your low drain boost when you want to continue firing on enemies while at the same time avoiding incoming fire. It would be nice if there was realistic desctructability. Like being able to bust through a building. Having little soldiers run in fear as you AC charges through their bunker. Cloaking devices. I hope they keep the general set up and improve upon it for the next game. There are lots of little things they could do with a powerful engine and platform to run it on.