PSA: DO NOT UPDATE PS3!

Wong

Actually I never figured out what the cause was. It just started turning itself off with no warning. It would shut down, beep three times, and then have a flashing red light. This happened twice one night so I let it chill for a day when it did it again the next time. Me and a buddy cracked it open and blew all the dust out and when we put it together it wouldn't turn on at all anymore. Just started the boot and then shut itself off before anything happened. I googled around and saw a number of different things that could have been the cause but they all said that when it got to my point the PS3 was toast. The customer service dude from Sony said that my issue couldn't be troubleshooted so I'd have to send it in for service which costs $100. That's a third of a brand new PS3 so I just smashed my HDD and threw the PS3 in the trash. I looked into selling it for parts on eBay but they were going for like $6. Not worth my time.

Eh, did you try turning on Safe Mode and try to revert back to factory settings? My buddy had that same issue and it worked for him. But, too late.

So I am guessing you are not planning to play Dark Souls II. lol

Are you buying the PS4/XB1 at launch?

Edited by Honest Frank

I'm buying another PS3. I have too many disc-based games that I don't want to buy again. That and 5 months is a long time to go without games, blu-ray movies, and Netflix/Amazon Prime on my TV.

Does gamestop let you trade in towards a PSN card? If I could do that I might be willing to wait for PS4 to drop.

I wonder if you need your disc to run Gaikai. I really doubt your can stream a AAA title and for it to run well. I have a feeling Gaikai would act more like an emulator. Hopefully, we will have more info early 2014.