The Ravens' Voice - Armored Core Podcast

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tearsin is ignorant of the actual group here it seems, yeah. I think what he sees is TM ragging on people at ACL about you'll be banned or whatever if you talk about ACVD at ACU, but that's just TM teasing. I also assume it's based on relatively private banter between people who don't frequent ACU who he's overheard talking or talked to. I'm not surprised or offended really though, since he doesn't really interact with anyone from this forum often.

I'm pretty sure part of the misconception comes from the fact that very few of us care about ACV/VD because we're mostly retired AC players who enjoy each other's friendship. We do play a ton of other games though and we almost never shit on any real attempt to play or learn about AC, VD or otherwise. The generation forums are the actual discussion forums here and those are kept pretty clean and in check. We have an ACV forum we keep pretty clean I'd say and do nothing to discourage posting or discussion in. The only one that is relatively untamed is the 3rd Gen forum.

I think the biggest problem here is that we don't encourage posting or play of ACV/VD. We also don't make any effort to recruit ACV/VD players from Facebook or other sites/forums. We're just neutral to it. That seems to confuse people, especially new people. However, I'm certainly not going to require of my site members that they must enjoy every AC game or actively play them. They can enjoy or play whatever they want. They're still equal in importance with anyone else on this site. I've literally seen new guys ask old members in chat why they're even on this site if they don't play ACV/VD. That's not exactly a positive way to integrate into a new site, nor is it remotely respectful of the fact that ACU isn't established to be some kind of popularity contest AC site.

However, not encouraging does not equal discouraging. It's called being neutral and uninterested.

With all that said though, we do act in a hostile fashion at times. That hostility tends to comes in when people act like idiots upon joining the forum or when people post about stuff like "Making AC's Real" in general discussion and then get into arguments with people over how physics works. We also tend to be hostile to people with obnoxiously big heads in regards to AC, a game that has a tiny competitive playerbase and has no rights to people thinking they're the hot shit. We're the same with AC websites, which is why EJ grinded against us extra hard. That tends to rule out most AC teams as well, since they almost naturally develop big heads. It's always historically been so for AC in general, big heads everywhere. Martyring behavior and superiority complexes also tend to get significant ridicule here. If you come in thinking you're in any way special for any reason whatsoever you're going to step on a landmine the size of Australia and it's going to blow up in your face.

Another popular spot for hostility is in topics like the nonsense political and philosophical stuff. You're asking for it if you jump into a topic about politics, religion, or philosophy, so don't whine about it afterwards if you find out people don't agree with you. They're not supposed to be echo chambers designed to make everyone feel good. I give people a relatively wide level of freedom of speech on this site, so they're not going to be friendly if they don't want to be. They'll be genuine though.

To top it all off, no one on ACU (besides me) is likely to protect you if you do something wrong in most cases. Most people will leave you to your own defenses and just ignore you. Which means you're even more likely to feel like everyone is out to get you.