Dark Souls 3

Clones

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think they gave enemies in general more aggression and relentless attacking via faster stamina recovery and/or more stamina. It really helps make some of the harder mobs in the game more intimidating, and that applies to npc invaders as well. The npc invaders in this game aren't pushovers like dks1 and dks2. The balancing of their aggression is done nicely as well, more along the lines of Bloodborne. Dark Souls 2 had very poor balance in enemy aggression, where almost all of them were a 1-3 swing attack pattern, and then a long pause afterwards which made them easy to punish. The complete opposite would be those large hammer knights in Dragon Shrine, who would just never stop attacking, haha.

The bosses on the other hand, while a lot of great thematically, don't seem to be as hard as bosses were in dks1 and dks2-- so far. As of now I've died 23 times in the game, and only 2 of those were to bosses (and 1 of those sadly to the Deacons). Been playing solo the entire time too, so it's not a case of just ganking up on bosses with multiple people in a party.

Bosses are definitely not all that hard, save for one or two that might trip you up with their gimmicks. Otherwise they're pretty easy.

Yeah what's the deal with poise being turned off?

Is poise turned off and not working properly? Iirc, Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2 had that problem on launch, and it was fixed via one of the first patches.

A lot of the mobs sure as hell have some poise though. It makes their aggression harder to deal with, but I've also only been really playing with the broadsword, so using a greatsword class weapon or larger might wreck their face in.

As far as I can tell for now, it seems like poise only affects your actions like not getting interrupted while rolling, rather than not getting interrupted in general. There is a Demon's Souls-esque way of approaching armored moves in the game too, where certain beefy weapons have the stomp weapon skill, that allows the user to absorb an incoming attack temporarily, and then unleash his slower attack freely.

I haven't done shit for PvP in this game yet though, so I'm sure others can explain.

Edited by YUNG EASY PETE

Oh so it's something that's gonna be patched in then I guess? I can't remember if it was Dark Souls 1 or Dark Souls 2, one of those games the poise was turned off as well or didn't work the way it was intended, and was patched in after launch,

I'm not convinced it's straight turned off

Test it against pve mobs and stuff you'll see what I mean

in pvp it seems turned off tho, 100%, stagger works like ds2 bscly

the AI is better this game for sure, in ds2 it just tried to swarm u without being smart or thought out they dont do that now

the bosses arent that bad til Pontiff Sulyvahn then they get wild (before that hardest is MAYBE watchers after the power up but that's kinda it)

like owen said thematically they all make sense and the fights themselves are good and well thought-out at least but not exactly hard if you can just pay attention and not panick

Yeah right now "poise" is if you hit someone twice in a combo then the situation gets put into neutral. Unless you get hit by a select few multi-hitting weapon arts. Most pve enemies will try to attack after two hits though. With straight swords you can usually fit in a 3rd or 4th and then they'll just be dead.

Speaking of not hard, have any of you guys played ng+ yet? Pushing my str character through ng++ now and there's really not that much of a change. Yhorm's Machette just straight chopping motherfuckers in half.

Edited by Rachis

Dancer and NK are tough, I have yet to solo NK without the i-frame ring. The princes are strong, I've seen that cripple pull some shit... So many of them are cheeseable or just plain easy with all the riposte/weakspots.

A lot of the mobs sure as hell have some poise though. It makes their aggression harder to deal with, but I've also only been really playing with the broadsword, so using a greatsword class weapon or larger might wreck their face in.

idk the facts (or how ds1 poise worked) but the mobs that have hyper armor are the most dangerous. The machete/pot throwing dudes in undead settlement can be staggered infinitely with a longsword. The next step up behaves more like human players, a longsword 1hr1 stuns for two hits, then they can retaliate... The melee grhu in farron keep can jump attack after two hits. UGS 1hr1 infinite stuns mid-tier poise. Mobs with mid-high poise and lots of hyper armor become more common, UGS cathedral knights and the late game lothric knights behave a lot like the MLG dragon keeper mace fury. Darkwraiths are the earliest example. Im pretty sure 2hr2 UGS gets a 3 hit stun, it may be infinite, i don't have stamina for that, anything less than ultra weapons gets poised through or hyper-armored after a few hits. The exception is high-tier knockdowns, dragon armor axe L2 dump trucks havel, anything remotely humanoid can be stun locked with that move.

So the thing is, with our poise off, these enemies are extremely difficult to out-trade, they often get a hit in and then ur fucked unless you politely dodge away (most of the time... this games AI bugs me, it seems to react more predictably to directionals... a lot of enemies clearly have infinite stamina if u try to face roll them, then fall into predictable patterns implying stamina consumption when approached with less aggression...)

Luckily all of the heavier humanoids are easy to run through. The easiest cheese is any UGS with a thrusting 2hr2, so profaned, cathedral, lothric etc. Fully charged, these knock down any moveable object. Stomp/R2 also works but isn't as safe or damaging. Single them out and chain the knockdown or your gonna get smacked.

most of the super mob/mini bosses have a poise meter that can be burned through with short sword R1s for a riposte.

Yeah right now "poise" is if you hit someone twice in a combo then the situation gets put into neutral. Unless you get hit by a select few multi-hitting weapon arts. Most pve enemies will try to attack after two hits though. With straight swords you can usually fit in a 3rd or 4th and then they'll just be dead.

Speaking of not hard, have any of you guys played ng+ yet? Pushing my str character through ng++ now and there's really not that much of a change. Yhorm's Machette just straight chopping motherfuckers in half.

What SL? Same here though, I have a quality build somewhere in the middle of NG+ and a strength/faith towards the end. Its definitely easier. The strength build in particular wrecks everything... I've been waddling around at 99% equip load to keep it real. I farmed a lothric UGS yesterday for fashion souls only to find out it sits pretty at just under 1K AR buffed with the right rings.

Edited by Nescient

I was wondering just how more difficult ng+ would be. Compared to previous souls games, it seems like enemies hit extremely hard in regular ng playthrough, and that to accommodate for that, estus flasks heal an extreme amount of health as well. With all of that health being played with, I wouldn't think that there'd be too much of a difference between ng and ng+.. at least nothing like Demon's Souls, where a little dregling goes from taking none of your bar in ng to like 2/3 of your bar in ng+.

ng+ isnt that much harder no

it might be the gentlest change tbh out of any of the games

yeah yhorm machete is way up there on the tier list (top 1-5 prolly) theres tons of videos highlighting how strong it is and you see it v often in pvp

it's basically what dark sword is in ng lol

it's starting to replace fume it seems i think they do similar damage and both have about same reach

Yeah I've been rocking it because i don't really buff weapons so yhorms made sense. I'm surprised fume got nerfed as far as it did. it's just bad now. profaned is better on quality. a couple hammers and yhorms are better on str. astora greatsword and zwei can give buffers pretty good results without the huge weapon investment.

as far as offhand goes, i've fallen in love with serpent hatchet.

edit - i stopped at sl 120. not because of the community though. been running a bunch of numbers through mugenmonkey for potential builds and it really makes sense for finished characters. casters really need 120 though. even at 120 they will be squishy

Edited by Rachis

yeah fume got hit hard but the scene is slow on the change it seems

you still see it kinda often all things considered

profaned is WILD common tho with good reason the fucking skill is a pain in the ass to dodge u can just spam it and get good results

astora has great scalings but i hardly ever see it, makes sense to me mainly cuz its really short compared to other ugs ditto the zwei

zwei kinda got hit hard huh? It was always the premiere ugs now it might be the worst? relatively speaking that is lol

dood i love watching yhorm hits tho that weapon is so rad to just watch get swung around to me

casters really need 120 though. even at 120 they will be squishy

u aint never lie lol u should see how much i was dying to jose and john the other night cuz im an idiot (ie caster)

yeah astora can get s scaling for lightning/crystal and then gets a/a for chaos (zwei only gets a lightning/crystal and b/b for chaos) with very similar base damages so astora is clearly the superior go to for non str and quality builds. for quality builds you're obviously going to be running profaned, farron, greatsword, and maybe black knight but i don't see it too often. black knight moveset is inefficient but it's still cool as fuck to golf club people so i just don't get why its not really used. people aren't tired of dark sword yet i guess.

the tracking on that profaned stomp r2 is pretty rad. i wasn't getting the launch that many times, but if they mistimed a roll right around me then they were gonna get sent to the moon. shit does so much damage on top of that. its just a perfect weapon. moveset is perfect. stomp weapon art is perfect. self buff on an otherwise non buffable weapon is perfect. def my go to quality weapon.

speaking of dark sword, nobody ever tries to get mixups with r2. they only ever wanna r1 spam. i'm waiting to find a good dark sword user with the balls for go for an r1 r2 combo. it would make for a good parry bait punish.

golf clubbing ppl never gets old tbh

i havent seen anyone i'd consider good or talented using a dark sword in pvp, see it real often but most fools using it seem to be terrible

on the one hand im glad to see less uchis on the other dark sword is basically just another uchi so here we are lol

most times if i see a straight sword user i have to worry about its GOT HARD twinswords

those shits are fucking obnoxious fuck

whats worse than an uchi dual uchis bitch! gah

altho shout out to the actual katana sword set not getting any love lol

Fuck all that talent bullshit anyways. This is a souls game so main objective is just trolling people with trolly setups. The simplistic combat and bad connections don't make for a very PvP oriented game.

Uchi users are bitches tho, that is the universal truth that never changes.

uchi users are dumb in this game because the uchi is trash. if they aren't using the dark sword or washing pole then there is a problem. the connections in this game are way better than before. i'm actually enjoying pvp.

i want to like the git boner swords, but the fact you have to commit to using the weapon art to get the combo is the one reason why i prefer every other dual weapon in the game. i have seen that weapon art do some serious shredding though so if you do happen to connect it might as well be gg Edited by Rachis

Are there any Katana's with normal sized blades? In DS1, all Katana's where Odachi class, with very long blades. Has that changed? Well if not, they'd be good for a Kenpachi build though, since his Katana blade is the same proportion.

Kenpachi:

http://img3.wikia.no...achi-zaraki.jpg

https://12dimension....73_p017-018.png

http://www.wallpaper...perfo.com_8.jpg

{No those aren't his allies he's saving, he literally shish-kabobed three people and just carrying them around as trophies or something, lol.}

I still won't be able to get DS3 for a while, maybe months.

Edited by Fragrant

Oh awesome, the black blade is a "normal" sized, katana, even though the game calls it short. Saw the dual katana, the left hand blade is a true short katana.

Saw a vid of the moveset for black blade, doesn't look so black lol, and the heavy attack looks like homage to the "Gatotsu".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqHObo1yvyg

But when you said black blade, I was gonna think it would have been homage to this:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/47703/3126187-9401803274-nomen.jpg

It looks more like the Chaos blade, which looks blacker or darker grey from the pics I see.

I bet you have at least fought an orange haired animu who switches between a black Uchigatana, and if it still exists, a Man Serpent Great Sword, which resembles this:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/47703/3118529-1947977-ichigo_power_is_back.png

Now you know the source, if you didn't know it already.

Saw a pic of the Crescent Moon Sword, looks dope.

Hmm, Serpent Greatsword was the only sword with that unique "Zangetsu" shape, lol. A lot of oranged haired animu users will be displeased at this removal, unless there's another sword with the same single edged, tapering shape that it had?

Hmm, Serpent Hatchet shape although cool, will dissapoint those looking to use "that" Shikai.